Thread: OC Under 21.

OC Under 21.

Hello,
    I have a friend (who has a handgun, and wants to opencarry) says many cops (franklin county/roanoke) , the clerk, and his uncle who is a ex cop, told him you have to be 21 to OC. Everywhere I check says 18. Does anyone here have any experience of OCing under 21? I know their are many topics about this already, however I wanted to have a topic specific to his situation since he refuses to believe that OC age is 18.

The legal OPEN CARRY age is 18.

I will also say that many people do not know this as it has not affected them. I went into a unnamed gun shop in yorktown lately and had to educate a few of them who were callin a <21 year old out for open carrying his pistol.

This is why it is very important to know the laws. a "Belief" will not hold up in court....only the "LAW" will.
    Last edited by DJEEPER; 05-15-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by EMTLovell View Post
    Hello,
    I have a friend (who has a handgun, and wants to opencarry) says many cops (franklin county/roanoke) , the clerk, and his uncle who is a ex cop, told him you have to be 21 to OC. Everywhere I check says 18. Does anyone here have any experience of OCing under 21? I know their are many topics about this already, however I wanted to have a topic specific to his situation since he refuses to believe that OC age is 18.
    Welcome to the forum.
    "many cops (franklin county/roanoke) , the clerk, and his uncle who is a ex cop" are not the best place to get information on Open Carry (apparently). Send me a S.A.2S.E to Eds cards, po Box 16143, Washington DC 20041-6143 and I will send you a handful of my Open Carry information cards.

As already stated. The min age to Open Carry in VA is 18 (One can open carry under 18 under other rules ie: unloaded and going to or from the range, etc. and/or with private property owners permission)

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I OC'd for three years while under the age of 21 and never had a problem (only OC'd once in Roanoke).

I will also say that many people do not know this as it has not affected them. I went into a unnamed gun shop in yorktown lately and had to educate a few of them who were callin a <21 year old out for open carrying his pistol.

This is why it is very important to know the laws. a "Belief" will not hold up in court....only the "LAW" will.
    Thanks, Man. I really hope that shop wasn't calling them out in public for everybody in the store to hear (which obviously they were)... that's wrong I'm in the military and I don't even call out the sailors under my command out in public.

Welcome to the forum.
    "many cops (franklin county/roanoke) , the clerk, and his uncle who is a ex cop" are not the best place to get information on Open Carry (apparently). Send me a S.A.2S.E to Eds cards, po Box 16143, Washington DC 20041-6143 and I will send you a handful of my Open Carry information cards.

As already stated. The min age to Open Carry in VA is 18 (One can open carry under 18 under other rules ie: unloaded and going to or from the range, etc. and/or with private property owners permission)
    Thanks for having Ed!,
    I was actually planning on making a few my self, but I wasn't sure what to put on them... i'll be sure to get a stamped and addressed envelope your way, and maybe a small donation for your troubles.

NavyLT.... THANK YOU! I've been looking for that for DAYS.... I found it once... haven't found it since. [ BTW... I'm A 3rd Class PO ]

Quote Originally Posted by EMTLovell View Post
    Thanks, Man. I really hope that shop wasn't calling them out in public for everybody in the store to hear (which obviously they were)... that's wrong I'm in the military and I don't even call out the sailors under my command out in public.
    If it's the store I'm thinking of, he and a couple of employees were probably the only ones in there. If others were in there, they probably couldn't see what was going on through the haze of cigarette smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post

If it's the store I'm familiar with, they actually know better.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    If it's the store I'm familiar with, they actually know better.
    Then why do they tell customers that? Seems like a strange business practice to PO customers.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Ed
    ...or a rifle or a shotgun
    Last edited by Thundar; 05-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Then why do they tell customers that? Seems like a strange business practice to PO customers.
    Yeah, it really caught me off guard too. I hate to be a tool who goes into a gun shop shop and corrects an employee....

What happened was a customer came in and commented on the kid's age, who said he was 18. Then the clerk commented and agreed with the customer on how it is not legal for a kid (18 years, under 21 years) to carry a pistol, loaded, on his hip because the kid is not allowed to own a pistol.

:shrug: i set it straight though.... but i dont like being the one to have to do that, because it makes me look like a tool who is just flaunting his knowledge. I gave the kid this website, so i hope he came on here and read the law for himself if he had any doubt.

I need more OC cards haha!

Federal law prohibits an FFL from selling a handgun to someone under twenty-one. That's what confuses them. It's not unlawful for a person of any age to own a handgun; but it is unlawful for a person under 18 to be in possession of one; and that's the only constraint upon purchase of a handgun from a private party (non-FFL) in Virginia.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    Yeah, it really caught me off guard too. I hate to be a tool who goes into a gun shop shop and corrects an employee....

What happened was a customer came in and commented on the kid's age, who said he was 18. Then the clerk commented and agreed with the customer on how it is not legal for a kid (18 years, under 21 years) to carry a pistol, loaded, on his hip because the kid is not allowed to own a pistol.

:shrug: i set it straight though.... but i dont like being the one to have to do that, because it makes me look like a tool who is just flaunting his knowledge. I gave the kid this website, so i hope he came on here and read the law for himself if he had any doubt.

I need more OC cards haha!
    DJEEPER, if you don't speak up and correct these "founts of misinformation", you are doing a disservice to the pro-gun community. How do you suppose this kid felt as these "tools" told him he was breaking the law? A law-abiding citizen set things right, and identified a couple of "tools" that need some sharpening.
    Good Job!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

My roommate OC'ed for 3 years before recently getting his CHP.

The common misconception is that because someone under 21 cannot purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition at a store, that they cannot posses or carry a handgun unless they are 21. I have to continually tell people this and also let them know that since we are in VA a private party can sell a handgun to a person under 21.

I actually met with a VAGT member and he would not sell a handgun to my roommate (at the time he was 20) because he was still under common misconception. I decided to purchase the gun myself (since I was 21). At the time of sale he finally admitted to me that he realized he was wrong and that he could have sold my roommate the gun. I'm not mad with the deal or the seller, we sorted it out and he admitted he was wrong and learned what the law really meant.