• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges in Central Ohio

N605TW

Activist Member
Hello all,
I will be flying into Columbus from Montana next week to visit family. My family in Ohio are not too thrilled that my chosen method of carrying my pistol is out in the open. My Glock may be ugly, but thats no reason to hide it. I'm thinking a trip to a range may calm some of their nerves and help them understand that a gun on a hip doesn't jump out of its holster and start shooting by it self. In Montana I would just take them to BLM or US forest lands, find a safe spot and start putting holes in paper. Is there anything like that in Ohio or will I be forced into paying by the hour at an established range?

Brian D.

Ohio operates two different levels of outdoor ranges. There's a fee (day or yearly permit) chargedfor the Class A ranges. Nearest two of those to Columbus would be at Delaware State Park and Deer Creek State Park. You can get the range permits wherever hunting/fishing licenses are sold.

The Class B ranges are no-charge, but they are absolutely bring-your-own-everything including target stands.

There are three indoor ranges around Columbus. Blackwing Shooting Center is west of Delaware, The Powder Room is in Powell, and there's AimHi in New Albany. Personally I like Blackwing the best of those three by a wide margin.

justherenow

Agree with the above. Of those mentioned iv only shot at aim high new Albany.

Make sure you know Ohio laws. If your permit (if you have one) is not honored by Ohio, you must unload the gun for transportation in a car, that includes unloading magazines. Loaded magazines anywhere in the car is equal to a loaded gun.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

N605TW

Activist Member
Thanks for the info. I will check out Blackwing and the one in Delaware. I knew that Ohio had some silly laws so I opted to get a permit from out of state so I could carry when visiting.