Thread: No loaded clips or magazines

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

No loaded clips or magazines

This weekend's show in Richmond had several prominent signs that said:

"No Loaded Clips or Magazines allowed"

This is new for this show and I can't say I cared for it. I almost didn't go in. I think I'll let the promoter know...not that I think he'll care.

Lightbulb

I noticed that sign as well.
    I didn't think it applied to everyone.
    They are targeting rifle and semi auto folks, those with revolvers usually use speed strips, speed loaders or loose rounds and they appear to be exempt.

Maybe they should ban guns and ammo from the shows? That would solve everything.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.

What's a clip?

My Kindle is loaded with magazines.....

My Kindle is loaded with over 20 magazines. Does that mean I cannot bring my Kindle? Is the Richmond Gun Show therefore a Kindle Free Zone?
    Last edited by Thundar; 05-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member
    The rules almost make it sound like a trip to the gunshow is as hostile as a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings, which doesn't like folks carrying guns either. Guess I'll stay away. Oh wait, I already do.

Unless they've hired TSA agents to frisk people as they enter, I can't see how they plan to enforce this...

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Unless they've hired TSA agents to frisk people as they enter, I can't see how they plan to enforce this...
    I had the same question and was ready to leave if one of the desk cops asked me to empty my pockets. I did of course unload my magazines, before I went in... I think.

I've been told by several people that we have to do so at our gun shows (Chantilly, Dulles Expo Center) because of insurance purposes required by the venue. Whether this is true or not, it's the most logical excuse I've heard. However, I lose count of how many people I see drop their loaded mags into their pockets before walking passed the signs.

What will happen if you are caught violating the promoter's rules is 1) you will be told to leave the premises, 2) you may be told (in writing) that you are forever forbidden to enter any of their promotions anywhere in this or any other world, 3) depending on their mood they may or may not ask you to pose for a picture so they can post your likeness where the ticket-sellers are located, or 4) they may or may not get your likeness from one of the many security cameras and post your picture where the ticket-sellers are located. At least that is my understanding in talking with several of the reps from the promoters who bring the gun shows to RIR and The Showplace.

For some unknown reason they do not bother with steps 2, 3 and/or 4 with folks arrested at the shows.

If the shows get to the point that there is no difference between getting in to a gun show and getting on a plane I am fairly convinced that attendance will drop to the point that it is no longer profitable for the promoters or the vendors to show up.

What still amuses me is that even with the "No Loaded Clips or Magazines" I can still go in, buy clips or magazines and ammunition, and assemble them. This puts the "it's because of insurance requirements" line to the point of straining believability. Either that or the underwriters are in fact morons.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What will happen if you are caught violating the promoter's rules is 1) you will be told to leave the premises, 2) you may be told (in writing) that you are forever forbidden to enter any of their promotions anywhere in this or any other world, 3) depending on their mood they may or may not ask you to pose for a picture so they can post your likeness where the ticket-sellers are located, or 4) they may or may not get your likeness from one of the many security cameras and post your picture where the ticket-sellers are located. At least that is my understanding in talking with several of the reps from the promoters who bring the gun shows to RIR and The Showplace.

For some unknown reason they do not bother with steps 2, 3 and/or 4 with folks arrested at the shows.

If the shows get to the point that there is no difference between getting in to a gun show and getting on a plane I am fairly convinced that attendance will drop to the point that it is no longer profitable for the promoters or the vendors to show up.

What still amuses me is that even with the "No Loaded Clips or Magazines" I can still go in, buy clips or magazines and ammunition, and assemble them. This puts the "it's because of insurance requirements" line to the point of straining believability. Either that or the underwriters are in fact morons.

stay safe.
    Yet another in a long list of reasons to carry a revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yet another in a long list of reasons to carry a revolver!
    Said by the man lately seen around town sporting a Euroweenie pellet-pooper on his hip.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Said by the man lately seen around town sporting a Euroweenie pellet-pooper on his hip.

stay safe.
    Just trying to be mainstream. I suspect I may have to go back to my old ways anyhow.
    I'll explain this evening. Don't want to give Claytron any ideas.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Perhaps the sign is due to stuff like this?

http://www.mediaite.com/online/whoop...iana-gun-show/
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

Could be Jim but the idiot had already broken the rules by cutting the zip tie and IMO, having a few drinks while carrying (I know, that's debatable).
    Do they think yet another rule for him to break would have stopped it.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Could be Jim but the idiot had already broken the rules by cutting the zip tie and IMO, having a few drinks while carrying (I know, that's debatable).
    Do they think yet another rule for him to break would have stopped it.
    If someone's going to break the rules, then they're going to break the rules, I guess.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Just trying to be mainstream. I suspect I may have to go back to my old ways anyhow.
    I'll explain this evening. Don't want to give Claytron any ideas.
    Since when did you ever try to be mainstream? That has to be a typo. Ok who are you and where is the real Peter Nap?

We all do dumb things from time to time but that guy abuses the right.

Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    Since when did you ever try to be mainstream? That has to be a typo. Ok who are you and where is the real Peter Nap?
    Temporary insanity brought on by obscene emails.
    Speaking of which, if you go tomorrow, remind me to discuss the upcoming townhouse meeting with HPD.

Temporary insanity brought on by obscene emails.
    Speaking of which, if you go tomorrow, remind me to discuss the upcoming townhouse meeting with HPD.
    Will not be able to go Did not get off until late today and it will be the same Tuesday, Wensday, Thrusday and I really hope not Friday. On the brighter side more money for a new adventure. Dammm I really wanna go.

gunbroker.com
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

I use to frequent a large gun show (not in this area). A while back, someone chambered a round into a semi auto and put it back down on the table. Later on in the day someone checking out the gun squeezed it off and it indirectly hit someone in the leg. The premise denied further applications from the show to hold the event for insurance reasons.

The event was able to find a new location but did enact no loaded weapons or ammo rules. They also required all guns Being sold to have cable locks. So maybe this rule is insurance based.
    Last edited by NovaCop10; 05-17-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    gunbroker.com
    Auction Arms is better. More reputable sellers and less misrepresentation of goods.

Gun shows do allow for better
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

enforcement was light

We went, saw the sign and went in anyway. The officers at the desk told me I could not place my loaded magazine in my pistol after they had "banded" it. They were fine with me putting it in my pocket. No comment was made about about the loaded spare on my hip. Private property and not a horrendous restriction the way it was handled. I can live with it. My greatest fearful moment at a gun show was some years ago from a vendor demoing a concealed holster, sweeping everyone in sight including me.

If someone's going to break the rules, then they're going to break the rules, I guess.
    and no sign is going to change that, despite what the nannies may believe.