Thread: another disenfranchised group if permits are required

another disenfranchised group if permits are required

I was just thinking about this...The Amish...they dont do the 'picture thing' very well..they feel its a 'graven image' and there for wrong....SO...they wont get a permit if a pic is required...for hte most part the group is some what passive, I know of individuals that would consider CC...

I see them driving vehicles once in awhile... Do they not have to get picture ID for their drivers license?

Youre probably seeing Menonites...they do drive..and have DLs...but just dress like its 1870...Amish (for hte most part) DONT drive autos.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    ....Amish (for hte most part) DONT drive autos.
    Amish are also non-violent so they wouldn't be interested in carrying.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

as a group they TEND to be passivist..but im SURE there are individuals that NO ONE would want to disenfranchise... :-)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    if you consider rape non violent i watched a 60 min episode where fathers, brothers, and cousins are commiting rape and incest on the younder girls and when they got caught they were banned from attending church for a few weeks as a punishment

now im not saying they are all that way but there are some bad apples in every type of apple
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

correction

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Amish are also non-violent so they wouldn't be interested in carrying.

The reason we carry is BECAUSE we are non-violent. An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I see them driving vehicles once in awhile... Do they not have to get picture ID for their drivers license?
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Youre probably seeing Menonites...they do drive..and have DLs...but just dress like its 1870...
    Correct.

"I would not for the world shoot thee, but thou art standing where my shotgun is pointing." Quote from Amish man to some who for some unknown reason broke into the Amish guy's house.

There is a difference between being a pacifist and being non-violent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifism Further, not all pacifists are opposed to defending themself/other innocents. They are just opposed to starting (some) stuff.

As for the "graven image" thing - there are ways they, as well as the Seventh Day Adventists and others with objections already get around the picture requirement. I do not see why they could not utilize the same procedure for permits.

stay safe.

I do not see why they could not utilize the same procedure for permits.
    I do. I assume that driver licenses have a provision for allowing the issuance of licenses without a photo. Unless the permit for concealed carry of weapons has a similar provision then they cannot get the concealed carry license.

Playing devil's advocate... there is always open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    Speaking specifically of the Amish... their prohibitions only apply to church members. Only adults may join the church. The Amish tradition of Rumpsringa allows young adults who have not yet joined the church, to go on a "wilding", so to speak, before deciding to join or leave the church. Teenage Amish men who have not yet joined the church are free to get driver's licenses and buy/own/drive cars (depending on the congregation, of course; there is no "the" Amish church. It's very decentralized.

McX
    dropped this here for lack of a better place; reading the local rag here this a.m.; big editorial, mostly full of twisted facts in the paper, against Constitutional Carry. The usual crap; streets will run red with blood, cops wont know who's carrying- like some magic gun symbol will appear over your head with a permit right? irritated me. i shouldnt read the paper.

Barrett Needs To GO!!!!

Was reading this in the paper yesterday:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepo...121967899.html

The part that stuck out was the last paragraph where Barrett said "local officials should have discretion over issuing permits" . So what exactly would the criteria be the for being deemed worthy to have a permit? Income level? Race? Gender? Age? Religion? Where you live? For someone who got his a$$ WHUPPED and finding out what the rest of us could face who don't have the luxury of a armed security detail 24/7 you would think he might understand a little better now. I know, pipe dream on my part . His proposal is a big Pandora's Box for him if he were to get his "discretion over issuing permits", least of which could be seen as discriminatory.
    Last edited by XDFDE45; 05-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.