Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged with brandishing a holstered gun

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Charged with brandishing a holstered gun

Chesterfield again!
    This woman probably isn't a rocket scientist but that still isn't brandishing.

Parent arrested for brandishing gun at bus stop

http://www.nbc12.com/story/14654332/parent-arrested

Chesterfield police received information that a mother had come to the bus stop Monday morning with her daughter in regard to other students bullying her daughter. Once there, additional students reportedly observed the woman with a handgun in a holster on her waist, according to police. The students reported the incident to the principal upon their arrival at school. Police were called to investigate.

[Deleted-ish] Brandishing case in Chesterfield at school bus stop

Very few details on this one as of yet.

Both WTVR 6 and NBC12 have the story on their websites and FB pages, not sure if they are on TV yet since I am not at home.

Involves a mom with a gun on her hip in a holster, she was charged with 5 cases of brandishing, the details are sketchy, apparently her daughter was being bullied.

http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-school-bus-...,2064770.story

Nevermind I futzed with the link too long and Peter beat me
    Last edited by Skeptic; 05-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Peter beat you to it by four minutes.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-holstered-gun

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Peter beat you to it by four minutes.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-holstered-gun
    I'm getting old and slow

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    So far, the only "fact" stated in the story is:

"Police say some students told their principal they saw Reed at the bus stop with a handgun in a holster on her waist."

How is this brandishing? Sounds like a citizen who was openly carrying in Virginia to me. It will be interesting to see how this develops and what the other details are beyond "some students [saying] they saw Reed at the bus stop with a handgun in a holster on her waist."
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 05-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.

This just shows that Chesterfield makes their own laws. The problem is without a good attorney, she'll be convicted.

One way or the other this case is going to generate a lot of attention, and possibly controversy as well. Some of the People on the social media are saying this was on school property, etc.

Meanwhile just precious little information to go on. Not sure why someone would call the police just because someone had a holster on.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Five counts of brandishing!

"Police were able to recover the weapon during the investigation." Presume that to mean that CPD seized her gun - for what? OCing it??????

While we do NOT know all of the story yet, it seems to this casual observer that Chesterfield PD is failing to the side of less and less understanding of legal carry.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    One way or the other this case is going to generate a lot of attention, and possibly controversy as well. Some of the People on the social media are saying this was on school property, etc.

Meanwhile just precious little information to go on. Not sure why someone would call the police just because someone had a holster on.
    Skeptic, This is an important issue and we have three threads going. I asked the Mods to delete mine so it doesn't get diluted.

Would you copy your post to one of the other threads.
    Thanks!

--Moderator Note--
    Merged three threads beginning with the oldest time stamp.
    All posts are retained this way in chronological order.

One count for each bullet?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Skeptic, This is an important issue and we have three threads going. I asked the Mods to delete mine so it doesn't get diluted.

Would you copy your post to one of the other threads.
    Thanks!
    Actually I think someone already merged mine and the other one into yours so it should be good unless someone else starts another one
    Last edited by Skeptic; 05-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Of course it's not brandishing if we have the whole story.

Looks like she talked to the police. Never talk to the police. Ever.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Five counts of brandishing!

"Police were able to recover the weapon during the investigation." Presume that to mean that CPD seized her gun - for what? OCing it??????

While we do NOT know all of the story yet, it seems to this casual observer that Chesterfield PD is failing to the side of less and less understanding of legal carry.
    Makes one think back to the manner in which they went about arresting Skidmark.. perhaps not an isolated incident.

Founder's Club Member
    I checked the Chesterfield General District Court website a big ago and saw nothing for Ms. Reed. Maybe we can find out something tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I checked the Chesterfield General District Court website a big ago and saw nothing for Ms. Reed. Maybe we can find out something tomorrow.
    There have a number of bullying story's in the news. I'm checking to see if she is one who had problems.
    My guess is that the CPD Officer did some creative questioning and she admitted she wore it to intimidate the bully(s).

One count for each kid? Listening to the reports on the radio, one would think that it wasn't legal to have a gun at a bus stop or near a school bus.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    One count for each kid? Listening to the reports on the radio, one would think that it wasn't legal to have a gun at a bus stop or near a school bus.
    We are talking about the same County that charged a Jogger with having a firearm on school property ....because he was close.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    We are talking about the same County that charged a Jogger with having a firearm on school property ....because he was close.
    Yep and the same county that demanded my ID and permit while OCing.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Makes one think back to the manner in which they went about arresting Skidmark.. perhaps not an isolated incident.
    This is the very reason that we have said that Skidmark's case is sooo very important.

Magistrates, LEA and CAs all follow and share info on these things. The message that we will NOT accept this type of conduct must be sent loud and clear. Meanwhile, I will wait for more specific information before casting my ballot.

According to comments on the RTD site, the following paragraph was deleted when the article was updated:

"She took it out of the holster and did not point it at the children themselves but pointed it at the ground," said Chesterfield police Capt. Russ Lescault. "And while she was pointing it at the ground, she made threats toward the students."

Founder's Club Member
    If the deleted portion is true, then I see the reason for the brandishing charges.

If the deleted portion is true, then I see the reason for the brandishing charges.
    WTVR just reported similar details to the deleted portion.

Yep!
    That changes things considerably from the initial story.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast