• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charged with brandishing a holstered gun

user

Accomplished Advocate
Further observations on multiple charges arising out of one act:

What the statute (§ 18.2-282) actually says is,
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm ..., in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm... in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. ..."

Here's my argument:

The phrase beginning with "in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear", is an adjectival phrase - it does not define an element of the offense, but describes and qualifies the defendant's behavior. It is essential to prove that the firearm was used in that particular way, but it is irrelevant who saw it, or how many people saw it. It is not necessary that anyone actually felt fear or apprehension. In this sense it is equivalent to a criminal assault, which differs from a civil assault in that the plaintiff in the latter case must have actually had the apprehension of an immediate battery. In a criminal case, it is sufficient if the defendant had the means and intent to commit the battery, regardless of the perceptions of the purported victim. This is a criminal statute, so all that is at issue is the behavior of the defendant, not the perceptions of witnesses. There are several cases that discuss brandishing in terms of assault, though each of those cases specifically holds that the phrase, "reasonably induce fear" really means "capable of producing the apprehension", using the same standard as would apply in an assault case. Brandishing is the equivalent, basically, of what many states call, "assault with a deadly weapon".

In support of that contention, I emphasize that it is the act of the defendant that subjects him to criminal punishment, not the perceptions, emotions, or number of onlookers. Note the use of the word, "acts" in the following:

The Double Jeopardy Clause is not abridged if an accused is subjected to punishment for two offenses that are supported by separate and distinct acts. Stephens v. Commonwealth, 263 Va. 58, 62-63, 557 S.E.2d 227, 230 (2002); Brown v. Commonwealth, 37 Va. App. 507, 517, 559 S.E.2d 415, 420 (2002); Henry v. Commonwealth, 21 Va. App. 141, 146, 462 S.E.2d 578, 581 (1995).
Roach v. Commonwealth, 51 Va. App. 741, 748, 660 S.E.2d 348 (2008).

Here's another argument: the use of the singular to describe the person subjected to fear for his life includes the plural. Va. Code §1-227. So the phrase, "in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another..." is equivalent to, "in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the minds of many other people".

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

Without going out there Dan, it appears that what they did was take each person who felt threatened, and count it as a separate crime.

Chesterfield has a nickname, Arrestafield.

Several weeks ago I was talking to a Henrico Cop. He was terrified because his son had gotten a reckless driving ticket there. The Judge usually gives first time offenders a weekend in jail.

On court day he got there and there was a substitute judge, from Henrico...who dismissed the charge:banghead:

Bad county to deal with.
Henrrico is worse then Arrestafield by far .

230therapy

I skimmed 5 pages of this thread and it's still not clear to me if her handgun left her holster. I am also trying to identify the actual physical threat. If she made verbal threats, that's a different charge, is it not?

If her gun was in her holster while she was arguing, then there is no brandishing at all. A holstered gun is a safe gun. She may be guilty of being an idiot, but that's not illegal (yet).

It sounds like a bad judgement IF the gun never left the holster. Then again, I do not expect most judges to know or understand the law or state constitution.

Last edited:

TFred

I skimmed 5 pages of this thread and it's still not clear to me if her handgun left her holster. I am also trying to identify the actual physical threat. If she made verbal threats, that's a different charge, is it not?

If her gun was in her holster while she was arguing, then there is no brandishing at all. A holstered gun is a safe gun. She may be guilty of being an idiot, but that's not illegal (yet).

It sounds like a bad judgement IF the gun never left the holster. Then again, I do not expect most judges to know or understand the law or state constitution.
I don't think anyone has the answer to your first question, but there have been several references to the Morris case which did result in a conviction of Brandishing without the accused ever having touched the gun. It's the threat, not the act of touching the gun, that counts.

Look back for the link, Morris is well worth the read.

ETA: Oops, no link to Morris on this thread...I must have mixed this one up with another recent thread.

Here it is.

TFred

Last edited:

Repeater

Shiquita D. Reed lost her appeal in Circuit Court - GUILTY

Well, this is bad for her:

Convicted of brandishing a gun in front of students
After a two-hour trial in Chesterfield Circuit Court, Judge Harold W. Burgess Jr. convicted Shiquita D. Reed, 33, of two counts of brandishing a gun in front of two students while shouting profanity.

The judge then sentenced Reed, who authorities said had a history of disturbing, anti-social behavior, to two years in jail but suspended one year. He also confiscated her .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol, banned her from possessing a gun for five years and ordered her to be evaluated for mental health treatment.

The students testified that after one of the students said, “Oh my gosh, she’s got a gun,” Reed immediately launched into a profanity-laden tirade, saying she had the right to carry the gun and threatened to beat up the girl who spoke out about the weapon. They said Reed slightly pulled up the gun but didn’t remove it from the holster.

All four students said Reed’s behavior scared them.

But Reed, who testified in her own defense, said she never touched the weapon and kept her arms folded across her chest. Reed further testified that she didn’t yell at or curse the student who first spoke out, claiming it was that student who cursed at her.

The judge said he didn’t believe Reed’s or her daughter’s testimony.

Read the comment from 'Phyllis' -- Ok, you cannot show up at the school bus stop with a gun, not even a gun in a holster. This is a person that has some serious issues and IS a danger to society.

[size=+4]Oh My Gosh![/size]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Obviously Phyllis hasnt read the law.

No, she hasn't but that comment aside....the more I know about this case the more I wish like hell some people didn't own a gun.

This woman is a flake and a very real danger to OC.

mk4

No, she hasn't but that comment aside....the more I know about this case the more I wish like hell some people didn't own a gun.

This woman is a flake and a very real danger to OC.

^^^
this!

She certainly doesn't set the positive example for which we strive. :mad:

TFred

Read the comment from 'Phyllis' -- Ok, you cannot show up at the school bus stop with a gun, not even a gun in a holster. This is a person that has some serious issues and IS a danger to society.
And of course, yes you can.

Someone needs to comment back:

Yes, actually, you CAN show up at a school bus stop carrying a properly holstered gun, and it is perfectly legal to do so. What you actually CANNOT do is pass a law making it a crime, that will effectively keep a crazy person from doing so anyway! (and brandishing it, which is already illegal!)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Right or wrong, this women provides a classic example of why a digital recorder is a must for all of us when we go out into the world.

There was a lot of "he said, she said" that would have been resolved with a simple recording.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Right or wrong, this women provides a classic example of why a digital recorder is a must for all of us when we go out into the world.

There was a lot of "he said, she said" that would have been resolved with a simple recording.

That's very true Grape!

I still wish more would get into digital video. It puts things in even better perspective.

I got this yesterday for a special project and it's perfect for OC Video.

images

http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-camera/

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
And of course, yes you can.

Someone needs to comment back:

Yes, actually, you CAN show up at a school bus stop carrying a properly holstered gun, and it is perfectly legal to do so. What you actually CANNOT do is pass a law making it a crime, that will effectively keep a crazy person from doing so anyway! (and brandishing it, which is already illegal!)

TFred

I actually was about to respond to her, but discrection told me not to feed the trolls.

Repeater

Screws with the legal meaning of 'Brandishing'

It certainly doesn't paint OCers or gun owners in a good light. Lets hope that she gets the mental health treatment that she needs.

Not only that, It certainly doesn't paint the meaning of brandishing in a good light either. It now appears the Chesterfield County Circuit Court accords a broader interpretation of Brandishing to include a handgun that, while still holstered, is nevertheless touched in some fashion that results in others becoming alarmed. If this virus spreads beyond Chesterfield, it could be very bad.

The best vaccine is a rewrite of the brandishing statute to require that a person is actually waving a weapon around with the intent of using it against another person in what is unmistakably a true threat.

Thus, brandishing a gun becomes a kind of nonverbal threat against another, such that the other person genuinely believes the brandisher is really going to use the weapon -- carry out the threat.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Not only that, It certainly doesn't paint the meaning of brandishing in a good light either. It now appears the Chesterfield County Circuit Court accords a broader interpretation of Brandishing to include a handgun that, while still holstered, is nevertheless touched in some fashion that results in others becoming alarmed. If this virus spreads beyond Chesterfield, it could be very bad.

The best vaccine is a rewrite of the brandishing statute to require that a person is actually waving a weapon around with the intent of using it against another person in what is unmistakably a true threat.

Thus, brandishing a gun becomes a kind of nonverbal threat against another, such that the other person genuinely believes the brandisher is really going to use the weapon -- carry out the threat.

From what I understand, one account was that she pulled the gun and pointed it at the ground while making threats, while another account was that she tugged at it while making threats. In either case, I'm ok with calling that Brandishing. I can also tell you that Judge Burgess is one of the most even-keeled, fair minded judges on the bench anywhere that I've ever worked with, and if he saw it as brandishing based on the evidence before him, then it was brandishing.

scouser

ProShooter said:
I actually was about to respond to her, but discrection told me not to feed the trolls.

even trolls need to eat and, besides, it can be fun

TFred

Case law is already well established that the gun need not be physically touched in order to be brandished. I don't see this as expanding the definition at all.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Case law is already well established that the gun need not be physically touched in order to be brandished. I don't see this as expanding the definition at all.

TFred

When the transcript comes back I'll be able to better quote Zepkin's opinion on Morris TFred. He's as sharp as any Judge I've run across and he is of the opinion that brandishing does have two parts. First the fear but also some overt act that would bring attention to the gun, not just the presence of a gun.

Judges are all over the board on this and I agree with the poster that only improved wording in the statute will correct it.

In Surry Side, Proshooter gives a very good explanation of both the law and it's proper application...from a LEO's standpoint.