• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walmart in clinton

timothymarks

So I walked into the walmart in clinton today with my .45 hanging out of my pocket like i have a 100 times before. I like always checked the front door for any sign saying I am not welcomed.. no signs.. go through the store with the wife and my 1 1/2 year old son gathering up groceries. I started getting a little hungry so i took james and went to the mcdonalds inside. as i am sitting with my son in my lap eating my meal a plump assistant manager comes marching up to me positions himself beind me and whispers over my right shoulder "do you have a permit for that gun"? I say no but i am in compliance with Utahs open carrys laws. He then says i need to return my pistol to my vehicle. So i gather up my kid and food and do as im asked then when i return he is standing there rather proud of himself like he just disarmed a mad man. Now that i do not have a weapon to get myself thrown in jail for I ask him for his managers phone number. He tells me he is in charge because his manager is not in the store. I say thats ok I still want his phone number. keep in mine my child and my bag of mcdonalds are in my right arm, as i reach into my left pocket he steps back trembling, kinda funny... i pull out my cell phone... get the number and return to mcdonalds to finish my meal. Now I call the manager and question him on why this has happened to me. HE says it is coorporate policy to not allow weapons and even explains look i carry concealed to. I then say hey i am a law abideing citizen I have no problem with being told i cant carry if it is done correctly. I asked him how come they had to ask me to remove it when all it would take is a sign. he then says coorporate policy is very strict on what we can post on our doors they make us remove the signs during audits.

So I think walmart is scared to make it public that they will not allow us to arm our selves in their stores for fear of liability. Would they not be responsible for my saftey if they remove my means of protecting myself and my family while in their stores?

I want to talk to a lawyer over this is there any merit to that?

Raleigh

From what I have read Walmart's policy is to follow local laws about guns, they don't ban them.

I always OC in Wally's and have never had a problem.

1Grizzly1

I have OCed in Clinton Walmart many times. Not to pick on you but maybe you should get a holster if you are going to OC.

Also as far as getting a lawyer, what reason would you have for this? No one violated your rights. Property rights trump gun rights. I would have politely explained that I would take my business elsewhere.

timothymarks

"1Grizzly1
I have OCed in Clinton Walmart many times. Not to pick on you but maybe you should get a holster if you are going to OC.

Also as far as getting a lawyer, what reason would you have for this? No one violated your rights. Property rights trump gun rights. I would have politely explained that I would take my business elsewhere. "

not to pick on you, but I do not need a holster to open carry, as long as the weapon is visible at any point then i am legal...

1Grizzly1

This is a quote from the Nevada forum and I completely agree.

"When open carrying, be on your best behavior. it's harder to kick a person out of your establishment who is acting like a lady or gentleman. Dress nice, if you look like a thug with a gun your gonna get treated like one. If you look like someone who cares about their appearance, you will be judged differently than someone who does not.

I'm not saying you have to dress like you are going to church, but just think about the little details. Speak to people they way you want to be spoken too and be a model citizen. It's hard to be scared of a gentlemen who holds the door open for you and says hello with a smile."

carracer

"1Grizzly1

Also as far as getting a lawyer, what reason would you have for this? No one violated your rights. Property rights trump gun rights. I would have politely explained that I would take my business elsewhere. "

not to pick on you, but I do not need a holster to open carry, as long as the weapon is visible at any point then i am legal...

Legally, no. From a safety standpoint, yes. From an appearance standpoint, yes. Guess you have to decide whether you want to have that "Gangsta" look or like someone that actually has a clue about firearm safety and discipline.

MKEgal

Call the Wal-Mart corporate 800# & tell them what happened.
WM corporate policy is that they follow local law.
You should not have been asked to leave or disarm.

Once corp. gets the complaint, you'll probably get a call from the store or regional manager w/ an apology. Make sure they say they'll re-train the local staff, so it doesn't happen again.

timothymarks

Legally, no. From a safety standpoint, yes. From an appearance standpoint, yes. Guess you have to decide whether you want to have that "Gangsta" look or like someone that actually has a clue about firearm safety and discipline.

There is nothing unsafe about what I was doing. I did not look like a thug. I am done on this forum. After talking to you guys i understand why our gun rights are constantly under atack... good grief.

HandyHamlet

There is nothing unsafe about what I was doing. I did not look like a thug. I am done on this forum. After talking to you guys i understand why our gun rights are constantly under atack... good grief.

Baby in one hand. McChemicals in a bag in the other. Pistol in pocket with NO retention.

Yah, nothing unsafe there. At all. And it's OUR fault.

Good grief is right. Thanks for making us all look bad.

Bye-bye.

timothymarks

so is a unloaded gun safe or not? your telling me a unloaded gun in my pocket is not safe but a unloaded gun in a holster is? Maybe you are among the anti crowd who thinks guns load themselves and shoot people. Ill continue excercise my rights the way I please, afterall I did go through 2 tours in Iraq to do so.

carry for myself

heres a good reason. for safety. if you have a good retention holster. its harder to take the weapon, if its hanging out of your pocket, and your mc donnalds in is one hand, and your kid in the other, whats to stop a thug from grabbing that pistol and putting a .45 acp into your head and then your sons? hmmm?? can ya answer that one. your 4 post then run tactic says troll. or someone not too bright. heres some advice. sell the .45 buy a safety course, some manners, respect.........AND a clue. :)

Kingfish

so is a unloaded gun safe or not? your telling me a unloaded gun in my pocket is not safe but a unloaded gun in a holster is? Maybe you are among the anti crowd who thinks guns load themselves and shoot people. Ill continue excercise my rights the way I please, afterall I did go through 2 tours in Iraq to do so.
Rule #1 sir....Rule #1

carry for myself

i did 2.....and 1 in afghani.........and the Military should have taught you to be a little more safe and have a little more respect for yourself, others and safety. loaded or not. no holster and in a pocket........yet again....troll

timothymarks

@ kingfish if rule #1 says a unloaded gun is not safe then how can you justify carrying a gun at all... you cant because you would be unsafe.

@carry for myself: yes a kid in my hand makes it hard for me to draw and defend myself but simply having a holster does not make you immune from being disarmed. its funny that you use one of the main reasons critics of open carry say we should not open carry as a defense. as for the running then coming back, I unfortunatly am writing a college paper and decided to use some information of this site. so I came back. Also for you to bust my chops about respect for you to repeatedly come back calling me a troll and talking nonsense is also pretty disrespectful.

timothymarks

Update:

I called Mitch Vilo some of you may have heard of him, I explained to him what happened to me and well it got a better response than I did here. I definatly was not scolded.. I asked about the legal aspect, he told me it had never been done before and that it would be a hard fight for a few reasons.

the property rights issue. He brings up a valid point though, while property rights may trump gun rights, they do not trump my right to life. with that right to life comes the right to protect my life, and with that comes well my right to carry a gun. he gave a example, in a legal battle you can win with a small majority of jurors.. "6 out of 8. but it takes 12 of 12 to sentence a death penalty." his words.. He said it would take alot of money and time to fight.. somthing I have neither of. He did also say that there is the chance walmart could counter sue saying it was a fraudulent lawsuit. we both agreed it was far fetched but there would be nothing stopping them and that it was a possible one they could win.

timothymarks

@ carry for myself I also should have been a bit more descriptive about the way my handgun was positioned in my pocket, simply hanging out is bad terminology. It was in my pocket with last 3/4 of the handle sticking out. It is a full size 1911, so it would have been a little difficult to simply snatch it from my pocket, and it did not look as sloppy as i described it. back to the holster part, I have a inside the pant soft holster I carry it in which I slide the holster into my pocket. this day i did not have the holster since I had lost it in my mess of hunting gear the night prior. so rather than leave my handgun at home and go without i put it in my pocket as i normally do, just without the holster.

carry for myself

@ carry for myself I also should have been a bit more descriptive about the way my handgun was positioned in my pocket, simply hanging out is bad terminology. It was in my pocket with last 3/4 of the handle sticking out. It is a full size 1911, so it would have been a little difficult to simply snatch it from my pocket, and it did not look as sloppy as i described it. back to the holster part, I have a inside the pant soft holster I carry it in which I slide the holster into my pocket. this day i did not have the holster since I had lost it in my mess of hunting gear the night prior. so rather than leave my handgun at home and go without i put it in my pocket as i normally do, just without the holster.

see that makes alot more sense. the picture you discribed was a pair of shorts with a huge honking gun with 100% of the handle dangling out of it with a kid in one arm and food in the other. you can probably see why we called that Un-safe lol