• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walmart in clinton

timothymarks

I never said i had mcdonalds in one hand the kid in the other and a gun in my pocket. that was after i had put my gun back in my car. while in mcdonalds i was sitting in the back corner of the room with my kid sitting in my lap munching on his fries. I can see where the confusion could come from though, I am bad at writing.. now i just need to make it through this semester of english!

Kingfish

@ kingfish if rule #1 says a unloaded gun is not safe then how can you justify carrying a gun at all... you cant because you would be unsafe.
Pretty obvious you don't know the 4 rules much less what rule #1 is. I recommend you seek professional firearms training before handling another firearm.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I've never gone out carrying in a pocket... I will admit, when I use to live at a town house complex, when I had to go to the dumpster with no holster on me, I would put a G23 in my pocket NOT chambered.

Ponch

so is a unloaded gun safe or not? your telling me a unloaded gun in my pocket is not safe but a unloaded gun in a holster is?

Wait a damn minute here--your gun was unloaded? Why are you carrying an unloaded weapon, openly OR concealed? So you can protect yourself and your child by throwing it at your attacker?

Ponch

heres a good reason. for safety. if you have a good retention holster. its harder to take the weapon, if its hanging out of your pocket, and your mc donnalds in is one hand, and your kid in the other, whats to stop a thug from grabbing that pistol...

QFT.

I recently did retention training with my shirt tucked behind my Supertuck, an IWB holster with no retention mechanisms. Normally I do retention training with a level III holster on a duty belt, and felt pretty smug about my ability to keep my weapon. But carrying openly in my non-retention holster, the gun-grabber got my gun EVERY SINGLE TIME. Even perfectly executed retention moves, simply don't work.

The takeaway for me was that I'd go one beyond OCDO: I'd not only use a proper holster for OC, but I'd use at least a level II holster. If I didn't have at least level II retention, I'd conceal.

waapl01

At Wal-mart

see that makes alot more sense. the picture you discribed was a pair of shorts with a huge honking gun with 100% of the handle dangling out of it with a kid in one arm and food in the other. you can probably see why we called that Un-safe lol
@ carry for myself
I like the way u think. I see he recanted on his statements and himself.

hydepowers

looks

i dont see what it matters what you look like,im a law abiding citizen,and always getting stereotyped just because i have tattoos,i oc and get alot of crap for it to.im just saying it's 2011.and i have a right to bare arms just like everybody else.right

timothymarks

@kingfish: Again thanks for your recomendation, however your rules mean squat to me. I understand how my weapon works and I am safe with my weapon I do not need a checklist to know how to handle my weapon.

@Ponch: carrying a loaded weapon openly is illegal in Utah in most cases. Carrying a loaded weapon concealed in Utah without a permit is also Illegal. while doing your training did you ever put a full size 1911 in your pocket with only about 3 inches of the grip hanging out? not perfect but in my situation it was better than leaving it at home. I dont carry it to fend off the guy who jumps on me, If a guy is grabbing for my unloaded (not chambered) gun im going to go hand to hand with him while he makes the worst decision of his life (trying to steal my unloaded (not chambered) weapon.)

@schlitz: right and my gun was not chambered, When I say unloaded thats what i mean.

Gosh there is alot of concern about me carrying a handgun in my pocket without a bullet chambered rather than having it in a "proper" holster. now I would not go around carrying a loaded handgun in my pocket for the simple reason it could easily go off and hurt me or someone else. But I will never sit around and ridicule someone for legally adhereing to there constitutional rights. Furthermore I will say that telling someone they are wrong and should not use weapons anymore because of the way they choose to legally carry their weapon is a nice tactic the left likes to use, to take away our weapons. So KINGFISH I would reccomend to you that you re-think your statements becasue they make you look very much like someone pushing for more unconstitutional gun laws, unless of course that is your idea ;)

timothymarks

i dont see what it matters what you look like,im a law abiding citizen,and always getting stereotyped just because i have tattoos,i oc and get alot of crap for it to.im just saying it's 2011.and i have a right to bare arms just like everybody else.right

Thanks Hyde thats exactly the way I feel about it. I hope Utah gets rid of this silly concealed carry permit quick, It would be nice to be able to enjoy my 2nd ammendment right, without having to pay $$ for it.

Kingfish

So KINGFISH I would reccomend to you that you re-think your statements becasue they make you look very much like someone pushing for more unconstitutional gun laws, unless of course that is your idea
You obviously know less about me than you do about firearms. Could you please cite where I EVER advocated for ANY infringement on that which "Shall not be infringed"? I have been around a while. If it is out there, I am sure you can find it. My recommendation for firearm training stands.

Also
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

timothymarks

your sarcastic recomendation that i not handle another weapon until i receieve training was enough. your opinions and recomendations are very critical of the way i choose to apply my 2nd ammendment right.

Kingfish

your sarcastic recomendation that i not handle another weapon until i receieve training was enough. your opinions and recomendations are very critical of the way i choose to apply my 2nd ammendment right.
It was not sarcastic. It was an honest recommendation. If you honestly do not know to treat all firearms as if they are loaded (This is "rule #1" by the way) and you obviously don't understand this because you said you would not carry a "loaded" firearm the same way you are carrying your "unloaded" firearm.

So, training would be recommended here.

When you were in the military (hmm) did you ever hear a bang outside the mess?

timothymarks

Kingfish, so what are you implying, that if I was not a combat oriented troop i know less about firearms saftey than another? or are you simply making a jab at all the soldiers who deployed but didnt leave the camp? again thanks for the recomendation, but its not needed. your holster sounds like a real nice holster btw, my pocket works perfectly fine for me, with or without the soft holster.

1Grizzly1

@Ponch: carrying a loaded weapon openly is illegal in Utah in most cases. Carrying a loaded weapon concealed in Utah without a permit is also Illegal. while doing your training did you ever put a full size 1911 in your pocket with only about 3 inches of the grip hanging out? not perfect but in my situation it was better than leaving it at home. I dont carry it to fend off the guy who jumps on me, If a guy is grabbing for my unloaded (not chambered) gun im going to go hand to hand with him while he makes the worst decision of his life (trying to steal my unloaded (not chambered) weapon.)

Carrying openly loaded in Utah is only illegal if you don't have a permit. I open carry loaded all of the time and have NEVER been hassled. While I don't agree with the way you carried on this particular day I do support your right to carry.

timothymarks

Carrying openly loaded in Utah is only illegal if you don't have a permit. I open carry loaded all of the time and have NEVER been hassled. While I don't agree with the way you carried on this particular day I do support your right to carry.

Thanks Grizz, Thats all I expect. I dont expect everyone to agree with me, but if im minding my own business following the rules i expect to be treated accordingly. as for the carrying a loaded gun openly, I was under the impression even with a concealed permit you could not carry it openly and loaded. I will have to look it up i guess, but thanks for pointing it out.