• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guess what open carry.org member made FOX news !

tyc

I have never heard of such, but maybe I've been living in a cave. Pro Bono or court appointed attorney in a civil case? Maybe if you've got an extremely strong case they might take it on a contingency, but IMO never free.

Criminal charges and civil action are two completely different animals.

Is there a cite that you can provide for your state?

You are correct. Civil and Criminal actions "... are two completely different animals" however you may have mistaken what I recently offered.

At all times is must be understood, in the Commonwalth, If you are not an attorney, except in the case of your own criminal defense, you may not engage in the practice of criminal law.

However, that you are a member of the PA BAR or not, if you are the victim of criminal activity, It does not cost anything to file a criminal complaint with the office of the appropriate District Attorney. That he/she may or may not, for any reason they choose, elect to NOT pursue your claim, that is up to him/her. In such an instance, if there is incompetency or criminal intent on the part of the applicable District Attorney when making a decision not to prosecute, that is where the Office of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth comes into play.

The practice of Civil Law is a different matter and Pro Bono activity on the part of duly licensed attorney (in Pennsylvania and elsewhere) is far from being unknown. However, excluding abuse of the system, anyone (licensed attorney or not) may initiate a civil action and do so at no cost - if the individual intending to bring about the action can verify he/she can not afford the court costs involved. Of course you will be asked by the Court to confirm such a claim in writing, i.e., that you can't afford the costs to bring the case forward - and you'd better not be lying when you sign that "forma paupurus" statement; think I mis-spelled that.. Once such a document is signed and received by the Court, the case will be brought forward for a hearing. That you win or lose is up to you and the presentation you as a Pro Se make. I do offer however, if you do not know what you're doing - back off. Go get some good basic advice on how to proceed first, then, if your laches haven't run out - go get 'em.

As for the citation, I don't have it right off hand but check the Internet for the following or words to the effect: "... silence is not an admission of guilt ..."

Hope this helps.

tyc

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
.......... anyone (licensed attorney or not) may initiate a civil action and do so at no cost - if the individual intending to bring about the action can verify he/she can not afford the court costs involved. Of course you will be asked by the Court to confirm such a claim in writing, i.e., that you can't afford the costs to bring the case forward - and you'd better not be lying when you sign that "forma paupurus" statement; think I mis-spelled that.. Once such a document is signed and received by the Court, the case will be brought forward for a hearing.
Hope this helps.

tyc

Forgot about the PA allowance for "forma pauperis" - appreciate the reminder.

Deanimator

EVERY public statement made by the Philly PD and the prosecutor has just dug the hole deeper. They contradict each other, alleged policy, and PA law six ways to Sunday.

When you find yourself in a hole, the LAST thing you should be doing is trying to rent a backhoe.

The malicious prosecution suit is going to be UGLY.

Viper needs to start referring to the prosecutor as "Mr. Nifong"...

templar223

Congrats on publicity and good luck on the suit.

The work and stress you're enduring is making Pennsylvania, and maybe even the entire nation, a more gun-friendly place by warning the gun-hating Nazis that there may be severe, expensive consequences to oppressive, unlawful acts.

John

tyc

Forgot about the PA allowance for "forma pauperis" - appreciate the reminder.

Note that this is applicable to the federal level as well and odds are all other states have some variation of this allowance - in the eyes of the law all stand equally before it; rich or poor makes no difference.

tyc