Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reminder: Janesville OC BBQ at 2pm in Riverside Park on Saturday, May 21st.

Exclamation Reminder: Janesville OC BBQ at 2pm in Riverside Park on Saturday, May 21st.

Just a reminder about the OC BBQ in Riverside Park on the 21st at 2pm. Let me know who all is planning on attending. Another chance to put faces to names. The usual BBQ stuff... Brats, burgers, hot dogs, cold salads, chips, and soda. I think it was 1 1/2 or 2mi from the nearest school zone. I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure the pavilion its going to be available and reserve it. It's right on the river, playground equipment about 75ft from the tables and grills. So bring the kids if you want too... Let me know who all is interested and hope to see you there...
    Last edited by gunguy2009; 05-17-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: correction

I cannot commit 100% as I have had recent increase in some obligations that will be taking up a lot of my time but if it is at all possible I will be there....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Thumbs up I Had Forgotten About This One!

It isn't too far from me so I will try to be there! Thanks for the reminder!

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Cool Riverside Park is a beautiful setting!

Riverside Park is a beautiful setting! The forecast is for cloudy and a high temp of 80! No rain. Are you asking people to sign up to bring "stuff"?
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Crap! I knew there was a reason I wanted to put my Janesville trip off by a week. Was just down there visiting fambly last weekend. Have fun ya'll.

Going to try and make it, Maybe I can hitch a ride from someone up by Madison, or coming thru Madison. Let me know.

You dont have to bring anything unless there is something special you want. Wait a second, you know what, I take that back... I want (per person) a box of 100 rounds for .40 S&W... lol jk
    Last edited by gunguy2009; 05-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunguy2009 View Post
    Just a reminder about the OC BBQ in Riverside Park on the 21st at 2pm. Let me know who all is planning on attending. Another chance to put faces to names. The usual BBQ stuff... Brats, burgers, hot dogs, cold salads, chips, and soda. I think it was 1 1/2 or 2mi from the nearest school zone. I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure the pavilion its going to be available and reserve it. It's right on the river, playground equipment about 75ft from the tables and grills. So bring the kids if you want too... Let me know who all is interested and hope to see you there...
    Are there 'facilities'? Do we have permission to carry inside of them or are going to have to do the dance?

I might make it. We shall see.

Cool A map of Riverside Park in Janesville by the mighty Rock River

There is a boat ramp in case anybody wants to bring their floaty toys....
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

McX
    Daaaaamn! i have to work, and cant attend. and wouldnt you know it; i suspect CheeseBurgers may be present!

Question Just so you don't miss any more cheeseburgers....

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Daaaaamn! i have to work, and cant attend. and wouldnt you know it; i suspect CheeseBurgers may be present!
    For future reference, what day can you attend during the day?
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    For future reference, what day can you attend during the day?
    Sundays. I'm a proud 6 day a week worker. yay.

Yes, there will be cheeseburgers!! And there are bathrooms directly across the street from the pavilion. I know they lock them through the winter, but should be open by now. If not, we will just stand on the riverbank and relieve ourselves... haha

Yes, there will be cheeseburgers!! And there are bathrooms directly across the street from the pavilion. I know they lock them through the winter, but should be open by now. If not, we will just stand on the riverbank and relieve ourselves... haha
    Who owns the bathrooms? Government? If so, do we have permission?

I believe it is owned by the City as part of the park system. But I will call tomorrow morning and verify this as well as permission to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com
    Who owns the bathrooms? Government? If so, do we have permission?
    OK, this is something I've gone back & forth on for a long time, & have to find the statute.
    Is the prohibition against being in any gov't-owned building (other than a parking garage),
    or is the prohibition against being in a gov't-owned building where gov't employees work?

I remember reading that there is a difference, an exception for things like parking garages & bathrooms in parks, but don't remember where I read it!!

Something about being "a place where gov't employees regularly work" or something like that, & a bathroom just doesn't seem to cut it. I mean, sure, there are cleaners there once in a while (at least I hope there are!), but I don't think it fit the definition.

Anyone else remember that statute?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I believe it is owned by the City as part of the park system. But I will call tomorrow morning and verify this as well as permission to use them.
    I'm not trying to be a party pooper but we would need permission of the Chief of Police or Sheriff whose jurisdiction the building falls under. In Baraboo, we couldn't get it and had to do the dance to pee. 941.235 says:
    Carrying firearm in public building. (1) Any
    person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or
    leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty
    of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed
    forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or
    to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city,
    village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any
    county to possess a firearm in any building under sub
    . (1). Notwithstanding
    s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this subsection, peace
    officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state−
    certified commission warden.
    emphasis added.

Paul, that is just for bathroom use, correct? Last year when we the OC BBQ at the same location, when we were there grilling our food and chatting, a Janesville PD officer parked right in front of pavilion, sat there for maybe 2 minutes and pulled off. I'm assuming he was checking the laws on OC, and found none were being broken...

McX
    all i can say is daaaamn! i cant be there, and it's going to be a good meet too!

someone post pics of the event................and pics of the cheeseburgers!
    Last edited by McX; 05-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Paul, that is just for bathroom use, correct? Last year when we the OC BBQ at the same location, when we were there grilling our food and chatting, a Janesville PD officer parked right in front of pavilion, sat there for maybe 2 minutes and pulled off. I'm assuming he was checking the laws on OC, and found none were being broken...
    Yes, a building is defined as an enclosed space (4 walls) and a door. So, a pavilion, legal. Technically a state owned/provided porta-poty would be a building.

Just got off the phone with the City of Janesville. The bathrooms and pavilion down there are owned by the city. The pavilion is available both Saturday and Sunday. The pavilion doesnt have walls or a door, just a roof on huge concrete pillars with picnic tables, partial wall with countertop and a water fountain. Although the bathroom is enclosed.

I checked the weather, and one weather station says rain on sat, t-storms on sun. The other says t-storms on sat, and sunny on Sunday?!?! Which day do I make it for? wtf... Would Sunday be a better choice? Seems either way Saturday is a wet day. Plus Sunday, we can get a couple more guys to show up...

Just got off the phone with the City of Janesville. The bathrooms and pavilion down there are owned by the city.
    So... unless we get permission from the Chief of Janesville PD to stay armed while using the head we are susceptible to a Class A misdemeanor.

So.... the dance is on.

I meant the city park system.

I meant the city park system.
    OK.... Still stands. Can't use the bathroom while armed unless we have permission from the chief of police.

The pavilion isn't technically a government building since it has open sides. Unless you pee with no walls around you and no door then it is a government building.

Once again, I'm not trying to be a bearer of bad news but since the Janesville Chief made those statements in the paper, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have officers drive by periodically to make sure we are following the letter of the law.

As I said, what was done at the Baraboo picnic was that a gun safe was put outside the bathroom and people pulled their weapon from the holster and put it in the safe while doing their 'business'.

I will attempt to make contact with him. If for some reason he says no, or unable to reach him by the time of the BBQ, we may have to make a stop at the trunk of our vehicles before going to the bathroom...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast