• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Measure Would Ban Open Carry in Public

Maine CWP Training

Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates

Published May 16, 2011

| Associated Press

Print
Email
Comments (402)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A federal judge ruled Monday there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public — a decision that dealt a setback to gun-rights advocates who had challenged how much discretion California law enforcement officials have in issuing concealed weapons permits.

U.S. District Court Judge Morrison England Jr. in Sacramento supported a policy by Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto that says applicants must have a reason, such as a safety threat, to legally carry a concealed weapon in his county northwest of Sacramento.

CA MEASURE WOULD BAN OPEN CARY

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates

Published May 16, 2011

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A federal judge ruled Monday there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public — a decision that dealt a setback to gun-rights advocates who had challenged how much discretion California law enforcement officials have in issuing concealed weapons permits.

U.S. District Court Judge Morrison England Jr. in Sacramento supported a policy by Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto that says applicants must have a reason, such as a safety threat, to legally carry a concealed weapon in his county northwest of Sacramento.

CA MEASURE WOULD BAN OPEN CARY

How does this judge's ruling ban open carry?

I read his ruling as referring to concealed carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From the article:

OK - you took the "meanwhile" statements from the article and made them the title to your link. Seems misleading as that has nothing to do with the judge's opinion.

The Federal Judges ruling could very well impact Maine.

How - please explain.

Are you saying that a decision in a federal General District Court in California would establish applicable case law effecting decisions by a judge in Maine Federal District Court? If so, I am unaware of such relationship.

Claytron

OK - you took the "meanwhile" statements from the article and made them the title to your link. Seems misleading as that has nothing to do with the judge's opinion.

How - please explain.

Are you saying that a decision in a federal General District Court in California would establish applicable case law effecting decisions by a judge in Maine Federal District Court? If so, I am unaware of such relationship.

You just got done making a post about a fake story just to elicit some LEO bashing and everyone knew it and called you out on it so i wouldnt be complaining about misleading threads Grapey.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You just got done making a post about a fake story just to elicit some LEO bashing and everyone knew it and called you out on it so i wouldnt be complaining about misleading threads Grapey.

I do NOT make posts to elicite LEO bashing - your remarks are patently offensive and untrue.

Claytron

Grapeshot can you please stop going above and beyond your "duty" as a mod and stop deleting any comment you see that you simply dont like?

Seriously.... "I call it like i see it" is now considered a personal attack?? And "distortion"... what does that even mean in regards to my comment??

2A means more than the 1A here i guess...

Last edited: