• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kilts?

mahkagari

Anyone carry while wearing a kilt? Since they're higher wasted and with wider belts, the holsters I have either are uncomfortable or don't fit the belt. I brielfly thought about a thigh holster, but I pointed and laughed at myself.

Daylen

Lazarus Long is notorious for crotch carry with a kilt.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Lazarus Long is notorious for crotch carry with a kilt.

And I thought I was the only Heinlein fan on here!!

A kilt is supposed to be the ideal garment for a man to hide all sorts of nasty and lethal surprises. I've never figured out all the means, though.

Nor have I worked up enough nerve to wear one here in Alabama!!:D But, according to what I have read, I have the choice of the Irish National tartan or the U.S. Army tartan (I didn't even know there was such a thing.)

shulatt

Having worn a kilt on several occasions (such as my wedding, historical re-creation events, at work on Holloween, just for grins chuckles and snarfs, etc.) OCing a firearm while wearing a kilt can require the same adjustments as wearing a sword comfortably often does....a second, dedicated belt or baldric for that purpose. The sporran (man-bag, purse, basic equivalent of pockets for kilts), dirk and/or sword are often worn on a separate belt in addition to the belt meant to hold up the kilt just for convienience as well as utility (easier to belt on your gear after you've got the kilt on and adjusted, as well as easier to disarm if neccesary without droping your kilt)
Also depends on the type of kilt you're wearing...a great-kilt has so many pleats and folds and drapes that wearing a handgun would almost require a CHP due to the nature of the garment but is a great piece of garb for carrying a veritable arsenal "discreetly". Where a small kilt/walking kilt/modern kilt would make it much easier to OC if you choose to while still providing options for concealed carry such as IWB, thigh, sporran or pack, etc.

Shawn

Dreamer

Also depends on the type of kilt you're wearing...a great-kilt has so many pleats and folds and drapes that wearing a handgun would almost require a CHP due to the nature of the garment but is a great piece of garb for carrying a veritable arsenal "discreetly". Where a small kilt/walking kilt/modern kilt would make it much easier to OC if you choose to while still providing options for concealed carry such as IWB, thigh, sporran or pack, etc.

"shulatt" is spot-on with this assessment. AS someone who owns (and occasionally wears) both Great Kilts and Small Kilts, I can say that you could probably CC an 18.5" Mossberg 12ga shotgun in a Great Kilt, and still have room for several knives, a couple Glocks, and enough ammo to fight your way through the Zombie Apocalypse... :shocker:

But most folks wearing kilts these days are wearing Small Kilts, like SportsKilts or Utilikilts, and they are actually pretty well-suited to OC, if you have a rig that can be adjusted for the wide belts usually worn with such kilts.

One of the cool things about Serpa holsters is that the paddles are adjustable for belts from 1"-2" wide, so wearing a Serpa with a standard Kilt Belt is just a matter of adjusting a few screws.

I need to break out my kilts for a few OC events this summer, I believe... :banana:

FREEDOM!!!!

Last edited:

mahkagari

But most folks wearing kilts these days are wearing Small Kilts, like SportsKilts or Utilikilts, and they are actually pretty well-suited to OC, if you have a rig that can be adjusted for the wide belts usually worn with such kilts.

Utilikilts are super easy for carry. Just dedicate one pocket to your weapon. I love wearing my Utilikilt to the range. I have an ammo belt dedicated just for it. Fresh cartridges in the belt, range gear in one pocket and brass in the other.

One of the cool things about Serpa holsters is that the paddles are adjustable for belts from 1"-2" wide, so wearing a Serpa with a standard Kilt Belt is just a matter of adjusting a few screws.

OC with a small/dress kilt is a different animal. I agree an IWB or paddle holster is probably easiest, but despite being able to wear as many swords, dirks and sgian dubhs as you please, most firearms "clash" with the style. There are plenty of ways to OC "black tie", but a kilt seems problematic.

Additionally, there's a pub in Denver (which managed to get the state to uphold banning OC) that I like to hang out around Burns' season, Tartan Day, or just a place for friends to get our kilt groove on. It's next door to the police station with all the bail bondsmen across the street. Oddly, the police next door don't make me feel safer about walking to my car. (Food's great, and despite having the largest collection of single malts, I rarely partake and not while carrying.)

I think I might have to take a cue from the carry briefcases and sew some elastic and velcro into my sporran.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And I thought I was the only Heinlein fan on here!!

I'm a Heinlein fan as well. I've read all of his SF novels, and many of his non-fiction works.

Nor have I worked up enough nerve to wear one here in Alabama!

I've worn a kilt a couple of times, mostly during highland games, but a couple times just hiking around cities in the northwest. Comfortable! Never carried while wearing a kilt, though.