• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms banned at Muskegon Summer Celebration

autosurgeon

Auto it looks like it might be time to go for another ride this year to Muskegon summer celebration,

Last year it was a ride to New Era, i thought that that went rather well !

I am up for a ride, if this can't be settled, (ps) cabman has his bike this year also!

CALLING ALL OC BIKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONTACT AUTO ! HEHEHE !!!
Hmmm that could be a fun time :uhoh::banana:

Closer too!

Last edited:

scot623

I spoke with an attorney working for the county last week. He pointed out the portion of the use permit requiring all state and local laws be followed. He said the issue is with the operators of the festival. I finally talked to the director of the festival, Joe, again today. He said it's been a confusing process and that he and the Muskegon Police Cheif are working together to get this all sorted out. The signage banning firearms in the concert areas will be taken down! Victory!! I asked if the website will be updated to reflect that and he said yes. The only remaining issue they are working on is firearm carry in the beer tent/liquor licensed areas. It was the Cheifs assertion a ban would be legal. I refered him to the correct information regarding OC with a CPL(MSP update 86) and expect no issues in those areas as well. If I hear any new updates, I will relay them.

detroit_fan

I spoke with an attorney working for the county last week. He pointed out the portion of the use permit requiring all state and local laws be followed. He said the issue is with the operators of the festival. I finally talked to the director of the festival, Joe, again today. He said it's been a confusing process and that he and the Muskegon Police Cheif are working together to get this all sorted out. The signage banning firearms in the concert areas will be taken down! Victory!! I asked if the website will be updated to reflect that and he said yes. The only remaining issue they are working on is firearm carry in the beer tent/liquor licensed areas. It was the Cheifs assertion a ban would be legal. I refered him to the correct information regarding OC with a CPL(MSP update 86) and expect no issues in those areas as well. If I hear any new updates, I will relay them.

Great job!

aadvark

Notwithstanding Michigan Codified Law 28.425o..., Open Carry is Legal at Those SAME Places under The Authority of a Concealed Pistol License as is Directed under Michigan Code 750.234d(2)(c) AND Michigan Code 750.237a(5)(c).

Hence..., even if a Ban is Imposed..., it may NOT be Enforced against a Concealed Pistol Licensee under an Open Carry Situation.

If The Property is Muskegon County Property..., then, The Ban may also Violate Michigan Code 123.1102.

scot623

Notwithstanding Michigan Codified Law 28.425o..., Open Carry is Legal at Those SAME Places under The Authority of a Concealed Pistol License as is Directed under Michigan Code 750.234d(2)(c) AND Michigan Code 750.237a(5)(c).

Hence..., even if a Ban is Imposed..., it may NOT be Enforced against a Concealed Pistol Licensee under an Open Carry Situation.

If The Property is Muskegon County Property..., then, The Ban may also Violate Michigan Code 123.1102.

There was no 'may violate', the ban DID violate preemption. That's why it was overturned. Thanks though.