• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms banned at Muskegon Summer Celebration

WilDChilD

Good this bullsh!t has gone on long enough. I live on the west side and take many trips to the coast over the summer so this is one i am very interested in. I also would like to know if they have any seating like the web site suggest. Looks like you bring your own chair so I dont think that would qualify. Iam getting my popcorn and going to sit back and enjoy the updates on this one. If there is anything the masses can do let us know.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I recall that we had a thread from last year that may have had much information that would be useful... probably gone when the switch happened. I'll see what I can dig up. As I recall, I believe Crimdoc may have OC'd there... or maybe cc???

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Yes. If anyone can get there hands on a copy of the contract between the promoters and the county(I'm assuming county since it's held on county property), it would be much appreciated.

The License Agreement starts at page 5 of the following document. Additionally, the document states "that this Agreement contains the entire understanding and agreement of the parties"... so I think this is it.

http://www.co.muskegon.mi.us/boardofcommissioners/agendas/cd_11_04_21.pdf

Tucker6900

The License Agreement starts at page 5 of the following document. Additionally, the document states "that this Agreement contains the entire understanding and agreement of the parties"... so I think this is it.

http://www.co.muskegon.mi.us/boardofcommissioners/agendas/cd_11_04_21.pdf

From the looks of it, this should be a slam dunk. There is more than one statement on that contract that says the licensee shall follow all state laws. Good luck with this one guys.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
What I like is their selective omission of the word "seating."

Firearms are not allowed at any Summer Celebration venue even with a permit. Heritage Landing is an entertainment venue with a capacity greater than 2,500.
And of course, the law actually reads:
28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection
(1); violation; penalties.
(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more...

Last edited:

nightstrike

Hello Big Al ,

Assuming that the celebration venue has a ''seating'' capacity of more than 2500 (which offcourse is nonsense),doesn't that only apply to those who do not have a CPL?

I can't see any justification for this ban.

Good night

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Hello Big Al ,

Assuming that the celebration venue has a ''seating'' capacity of more than 2500 (which offcourse is nonsense),doesn't that only apply to those who do not have a CPL?

I can't see any justification for this ban.

Good night
Unfortunately, the seating cap ban is from the CPL list of PFZs. However, there is no corresponding prohibition listed on the places where firearms can be OCed. In addition, I think AG opinion 7120 would prevail here that says:
It is my opinion, therefore, that a municipal outdoor recreation park does not, by itself, constitute an “entertainment facility” within the meaning of section 5o(1)(f) of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, and thus is not a gun-free zone as established by that statute.

JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM
Attorney General
In many ways, good old Jenny was a much better AG than she ever was a governor. ;)

Onnie

from the pictures ive seen there are no seats the "seating" area is all grass and you bring in your own lawn chairs

kubel

1) Muskegon County classifies Heritage Landing as a park / beach.

2) Parks are not entertainment facilities.
http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10195.htm

3) Heritage Landing does have a structure (a pavilion), but its seating capacity is not 2500. Entertainment facilities need 2500 seats to qualify for 5o(1)(f) of the CPLA. And as mentioned in opinion 7120, if the park did have a pavilion capable of seating 2500, only that portion of the park would be restricted.

4) Even if it did have 2500 seats and was an entertainment facility, you can still open carry, which is probably what you were planning on doing anyway. :)

mastiff69

Auto it looks like it might be time to go for another ride this year to Muskegon summer celebration,

Last year it was a ride to New Era, i thought that that went rather well !

I am up for a ride, if this can't be settled, (ps) cabman has his bike this year also!

CALLING ALL OC BIKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONTACT AUTO ! HEHEHE !!!

Last edited: