• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That was interesting.... (you should OC at home!!!)

MKEgal

I have some laundry on the line, & have left the side door open (storm door locked) while I'm waiting for it to dry so the cats could have some sun & fresh air. (Going to bring it in soon - NCIS is starting.)

So I hear someone rattling the door, go to check it out, & the guy's eyes get real big. :shocker:
"Oh, sorry, wrong house!" As he takes off down the driveway.
Could have something to do with the pistol in a holster @ about his eye level. :D

Dunno if it really was the wrong house, or I stopped an attempted burglary, but I don't think he'll be back. :rolleyes:
(Well, either way it was the wrong house... let me rephrase that - I don't know whether his intentions were innocent or not. I kind of think not, because someone going to a friend's home & finding the door locked would have knocked, rang, or called out.)

mark-in-texas

My only question; why was the gun still in the holster? I've answered a knock on my door with it behind my back or to my side more times than I can count.

theoicarry

I have some laundry on the line, & have left the side door open (storm door locked) while I'm waiting for it to dry so the cats could have some sun & fresh air. (Going to bring it in soon - NCIS is starting.)

So I hear someone rattling the door, go to check it out, & the guy's eyes get real big. :shocker:
"Oh, sorry, wrong house!" As he takes off down the driveway.
Could have something to do with the pistol in a holster @ about his eye level. :D

Dunno if it really was the wrong house, or I stopped an attempted burglary, but I don't think he'll be back. :rolleyes:
(Well, either way it was the wrong house... let me rephrase that - I don't know whether his intentions were innocent or not. I kind of think not, because someone going to a friend's home & finding the door locked would have knocked, rang, or called out.)

Wow!

hardballer

Glad you're OK. Goblins come out at the witching hour...

My only question; why was the gun still in the holster? I've answered a knock on my door with it behind my back or to my side more times than I can count.
I carry from the moment I wake till I lay my head down at night. Never more than an arms length away. Like you, I cannot count the number of times I have answered the door with gun drawn, behind my back...

I consider it to be prudent behavior in consideration of the neighborhood and times...

MKEgal

mark-in-texas said:
I try not to scare people more than necessary.
Unless I'm not wearing a holster, or the circumstances are very unusual, it'll be in a holster.
So far it's been sufficient. Certainly was in this case. :)
There are 2 steps to get in the door, then another up to the level of the kitchen, so the pistol was pretty much at his eye level.

protias said:
I'd file a report with the police because I'm sure he'll try it again.
Probably won't try it here, & it's not worth having them hassle me. Maybe they could have gotten fingerprints off the handle, if they'd been willing to send someone who could take prints, but I doubt they'd be willing.

Several years ago (before I started carrying) I was sitting here at the computer & noticed someone in my garage (didn't close the door back then) looking over my car!!
Went outside, found a tow truck backed into my driveway!!! (With a female passenger.)
I told the guy he had the wrong house & to get off my property & he eventually left.
Tried giving the truck tag to the PD, & since he touched the car I wanted them to take prints but the officer they sent to take a report refused.

If he'd tried to tow it, he would have ruined it 'cause it was backed into the garage & was an old BMW sedan. All BMWs are rear-wheel drive, so he would have been trying to tow it w/ the drive wheels dragging. :eek:

Just last night I saw a report on the news about people w/ tow trucks who steal cars & take them to salvage yards to sell for money. Not a whole lot that can be done about it. The report brought my experience to mind.

Archangel

Just curious as to what area of town you live in.

Are you in the city, suburbs, or rural?

Be as specific as you feel comfortable, I'm just curious.

How close is your house to a road / alley and can the open inner door be seen from that thoroughfare?

Just trying to determine if this person saw the seemingly unsecured door as a possible crime of opportunity, or could he legitimately have been at the wrong place (unlikely)?

Vandil

I actually had a guy walk into my house on N Thompson Dr in Madison back when there was both a serial rapist and serial burglars working the area. I was in the back of the house doing dishes with my wife when I heard the front door open and boots on the tile entryway. Apparently my 135lb german shepherd that was laying down in the office upstairs heard it too. I started for the front of the house, my dog flew down the stairs barking like crazy. I heard the dog hit the floor so I know he skipped the last 5-8 steps. Booted feet running back across the tile floor and then the door slammed. The guy was up to no good, he ran off between houses by the time I got to the front door.

Not only could the dog out run me he was faster on the draw. :lol:

MR Redenck

The only thing that matters is nothing happened.
Best of all, some pest decided your house wasn't a good place to pester somebody.
Sounds like he was just going to try and come on in to me.
I like guns, I like to see people carry them as well. Open to the public for all the criminals to see.

jpm84092

More proof that open carry prevents crime in a State that bans concealed carry.

I personally open carry at home and like others on this forum, my handgun is within easy reach when I retire at night.

bigdaddy1

Glad to hear that nothing other than some rattled nerves came of it. Its sad that some people believe they are ultimately safe in their homes and don't need protection. I have said many times before, crime happens in an instant just about anywhere.

LibertyDeath

Last Thanksgiving our local paper gave everybody a free paper. Which they delivered about 10pm. The paperboy tossed it onto my porch and it hit my door, slightly opening it. Not knowing this, I grab my Glock out of my pistol box just in time for the knock on my door. Needless to say my pistol was behind my back while the paperboy was apologizing.

Aknazer

Are you in the city, suburbs, or rural?

Be as specific as you feel comfortable, I'm just curious.

How close is your house to a road / alley and can the open inner door be seen from that thoroughfare?

Just trying to determine if this person saw the seemingly unsecured door as a possible crime of opportunity, or could he legitimately have been at the wrong place (unlikely)?

When I lived in Okinawa I lived on the third floor of an apartment building. It didn't have an elevator and the stairs were such that each flight was only about a half floor (so it had 4 flights of stairs to get to my floor). Occasionally I wouldn't pay attention and would only go up two flights of stairs and think I was on the third floor. Well one time I did this and actually tried to get into the house below me. When I found the door "suddenly" locked (I was taking out the trash) I started pulling on the door harder and harder thinking it got stuck, followed by knocking on the door thinking my wife might of locked it after about 30 seconds of trying to simply pull the door open. Needless to say the poor Japanese lady who answered the door after a couple minutes of this seemed terrified and I felt horrible.

So it is possible that he had the wrong place for whatever reason (wrong turn, mis-counted houses, wasn't paying attention, etc) when going to a friend's place or possibly even his own, but I'm sure regardless he will be more careful next time.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Archangel said:
City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Near 43rd & Capitol, if you want to look it up on Google.
City city, not suburbs (though those are becoming almost as bad).
Single family homes around here, though there are a couple duplexes on the end of the next block, & in the other direction, across a large deep creek, is a low-income public housing complex, complete w/ elementary school (so they never get exposed to anything better).

The house sits back from the street maybe 40' [grass strip by curb, sidewalk, small front yard]; the door is on the side of the house, so another 20' maybe.
I just put on my shoes, left the inner side door open, & went out to see how visible that was.
From my neighbor's driveway to about halfway across their yard the open door is visible. Then their bush gets in the way, then the angle is too acute.

MR Redenck said:
Best of all, some pest decided your house wasn't a good place to pester somebody.
And hopefully he'll spread the word. I don't want to ever harm anyone (with the possible exception of the guy who raped me). If the neighborhood grapevine circulates the word that I'm armed & the criminals don't bother me, WONDERFUL.

Aknazer said:
So it is possible that he had the wrong place for whatever reason (wrong turn, mis-counted houses, wasn't paying attention, etc) when going to a friend's place or possibly even his own, but I'm sure regardless he will be more careful next time.
That poor woman! I'm sure you apologized profusely. (Don't they put apartment #s on or by the doors?)
It's possible he made a legitimate error in trying to find a place he intended to be.
I didn't ask & he didn't stick around to tell.
I don't think so, because as I said before if I go to a friend's home & expect to be able to walk in & can't, I'll knock or ring the bell or holler "hey, I'm here" or some such.
Then again, there wasn't a lot of door rattling before I decided to investigate.

This has made me re-think my practice of working in the yard & leaving the door open.
From now on, I'll lock it unless I'm going to be out front or in the garage (where I can see the open door).

Archangel

City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Near 43rd & Capitol, if you want to look it up on Google. City city, not suburbs (though those are becoming almost as bad). Single family homes around here, though there are a couple duplexes on the end of the next block, & in the other direction, across a large deep creek, is a low-income public housing complex, complete w/ elementary school (so they never get exposed to anything better).
The house sits back from the street maybe 40' [grass strip by curb, sidewalk, small front yard]; the door is on the side of the house, so another 20' maybe.
I just put on my shoes, left the inner side door open, & went out to see how visible that was. From my neighbor's driveway to about halfway across their yard the open door is visible. Then their bush gets in the way, then the angle is too acute.
And hopefully he'll spread the word. I don't want to ever harm anyone (with the possible exception of the guy who raped me). If the neighborhood grapevine circulates the word that I'm armed & the criminals don't bother me, WONDERFUL.
I know exactly where that is. When I was younger I lived 1 block north of 46th and Fond du Lac Avenue, near the old Fruit Ranch. Leon Terrace was the street. If I recall isn't that Lincoln Creek? Went to grade school at Atonement Lutheran on 43rd and Ruby.

Sounds more and more like somebody up to no good, especially with a side door like that. Good thing your storm door was locked and you were armed. Hopefully he'll take that as a learning experience.

(now you just need a dawg :lol:)

My wife feels much better with her bodyguard watching the neighborhood with her:

stickbow95

I wonder how ling it took for your potential intruder's heart rate to slow to normal. :lol:
I've always felt that a good dog is a good idea as well. (If you have the room, time, and like dogs, of course) Perps rarely want to deal with a dog... any dog.
When I lived in Detroit, I had a 145lb Rotweiller. He changed the minds of intruders on two occasions while I was at home. I do carry at home, but you can't reason or plead with a dog who knows you shouldn't be in his/her domain. On the two occasions I experienced, I didn't even get to see the intruder before they had high-tailed it. Just tracks in the snow...