• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Channel 8 news Las Vegas at 11pm on 5 May 2011

wrightme

You found the exact reason why I Did not give a real definent answer. It appears that they are making a citizens arrest of sorts while waiting for METRO and it is quite unclear as to their police power if any outside of campus. here is a quote from the METRO manual

5/106.15 JURISDICTIONAL INTERFACE WITH THE CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT POLICE DEPARTMENT
"Due to the limited jurisdiction of the School District Police, members of this department will not request back-up services or assistance off school district property. responding to violations outside their jurisdictional boundrys would be done as private citizens and could create direct liability for the School District and the Officers."

So they may be able to make an arrest, but they still have to call the police just like a citizen hmmm.
Specifically, if not acting under their jurisdiction, (i.e., school property, adjacent property if authorized, or at a school function off of school property), they are NOT an LE.

So, if the contact was not in a jurisdiction area, this was NOT an encounter with an LE.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Metro's manual (Cited text 5/106.15) is policy not Law, NRS (Cited text NRS 391.275) is the Law that gives the authority.

I inserted the METRO policy for clarifacation reasons, I did not explain it as law, however I also did not explain that it is not law.

You are right on about the NRS being the rule. I was just trying to be as complete as possible. I may have confused things.

Last edited: