• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 5-17-11: HB 650 - Committee Tomorrow

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 5-17-11:
HB 650 - Committee Tomorrow

HB 650, "Amend Various Gun Laws," will be heard in the House Judiciary Sub Committee C tomorrow. To refresh you on this bill and our stance on it:

HB 650, "Amend Various Gun Laws," is being sponsored by Representatives Mark Hilton, Stephen A. LaRoque, George G. Cleveland, Kelly E. Hastings, Glen Bradley and Michael Wray.

GRNC stands in full support of HB 650.

Among the important points about HB 650 are:

* Keeps firearms from being confiscated from gun owners who may not have had a day in court before being placed under restraining orders
* Allows firearms to be kept in locked vehicles at parades (where they are currently prohibited altogether)
* Allows firearms in municipal parks
* Removes provisions under which sheriffs have asked for private medical information from concealed handgun applicants
* Increases the number of people who qualify for concealed handgun permits
* Changes concealed handgun reciprocity to full recognition of out-of-state permits
* Removes provisions under which municipalities can prohibit open carry

Range Protection - GRNC Range Protection Bill Advances

SB 560, "Sporting Shooting Range Protection," received its second committee hearing today, this time before the Senate Judiciary II Committee, and came within a hair of getting a favorable report, which would send it to the Senate floor. SB 560 is GRNC's bill for closing loopholes in the existing range protection law by offering "grandfather" protection against noise and environmental complaints for any range forced to relocate due to rezoning, annexation or development.

Bill sponsor Sen. Andrew Brock (R-Davie, Rowan, GRNC ****) did an outstanding job of presenting the bill; committee chairman Buck Newton (R-Nash, Wilson, GRNC ****) did an exemplary job of trying to move the bill despite a busy calendar; and Sen. Austin Allran (R-Catawba, GRNC ****) offered a prompt motion for favorable report.

Unfortunately, limited time and persistent questioning by anti-gun committee members Charley Dannelly (D-Mecklenburg, GRNC 0-star) and Floyd McKissick (D-Durham, GRNC *) forced Chairman Newton to defer a vote on the bill until Thursday.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

* Thank Speaker Thom Tillis for getting this hearing: 919-733-3451, Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net

* Contact all members of the House Judiciary Sub-Committee C and deliver this message:

Dear Representative:

I write to express my support for HB 650, "Amend Various Gun Bills." I urge you to support this bill, currently in your Judiciary Subcommittee C.

Please use all your influence to further this bill to the floor for a successful vote. I will be monitoring the progress of HB 650 through Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

Sincerely,

A North Carolina Voter

* Email these legislators:

Convenience copy and paste lists

* Comma delimited:

Tim.Moore@ncleg.net, Johnathan.Rhyne@ncleg.net, Rayne.Brown@ncleg.net, George.Cleveland@ncleg.net, Jimmy.Dixon@ncleg.net, Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net, Pricey.Harrison@ncleg.net, Verla.Insko@ncleg.net, Bert.Jones@ncleg.net, Jonathan.Jordan@ncleg.net, Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net, Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net

* Semi-colon delimited:

Tim.Moore@ncleg.net; Johnathan.Rhyne@ncleg.net; Rayne.Brown@ncleg.net; George.Cleveland@ncleg.net; Jimmy.Dixon@ncleg.net; Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net; Pricey.Harrison@ncleg.net; Verla.Insko@ncleg.net; Bert.Jones@ncleg.net; Jonathan.Jordan@ncleg.net; Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net; Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net

* Space delimited:

Tim.Moore@ncleg.net Johnathan.Rhyne@ncleg.net Rayne.Brown@ncleg.net George.Cleveland@ncleg.net Jimmy.Dixon@ncleg.net Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net Pricey.Harrison@ncleg.net Verla.Insko@ncleg.net Bert.Jones@ncleg.net Jonathan.Jordan@ncleg.net Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net

----------------------
You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/
-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

chiefjason

Overall, I like the bill. But has anyone been able to explain what this is about? And why? I've already voiced my concern over it.

The person has a permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or that is valid under G.S. 14-415.24 and the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle or in a locked container securely affixed to the person's vehicle.

So TECHNICALLY, if I put it in my glove box and open the door for the kids to get out I'm breaking the law. Either they don't see that, or don't care.

I HATE GOTCHAS IN GUN LAWS!!!!!

cmlewis184

Overall, I like the bill. But has anyone been able to explain what this is about? And why? I've already voiced my concern over it.

The person has a permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or that is valid under G.S. 14-415.24 and the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle or in a locked container securely affixed to the person's vehicle.

So TECHNICALLY, if I put it in my glove box and open the door for the kids to get out I'm breaking the law. Either they don't see that, or don't care.

I HATE GOTCHAS IN GUN LAWS!!!!!

I saw this, too. However, I found a loophole: Throw your kids out the window. Problem solved.

I swear, legislators think of themselves as mental giants when they seldom have the writing skills of a 9th grader.