• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mod Abuse?

StevenSTL

Just a little FYI. The Moderator locked and closed my forum to discuss the charity being sponsored by the American Diabetes Association. I don't know who the moderator is for this forum, but I would appreciate a PM from them so we can have a little chat. I'd like to get a few more details from him.

I understand that was a little off topic from Open Carry, however it was posted in the state forum instead of any of the main trafficked topics. If anything, you could have moved my post to "The Social Lounge" where the description says "Really want to talk about your new car or the movie you saw last night? This is where such topics should go. All other forum rules still apply here including the prohibition on discussing long gun carry, bashing other gun groups or LEOs and personal attacks." I didn't post it in that forum from the beginning because I don't frequent that page. I am a member of the Missouri Open Carry movement and I figured my friends would be more willing to support me than random gun toting strangers.

What I'm saying as that this abuse of power was unwarranted and I'd like to see my original post moved or unlocked. If you aren't willing to do this, please identify yourself so we can talk about the situation like men.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Steve,

I am not a mod here, nor do I know any mods here.

This is an extremely easy going forum with VERY little moderation.

Spam is spam even when it is a worthy charity.

Sticking with the beliefs I have, if you allow one, you must allow all, I can see their point.

Solicitation of gun advocacy funds or funds in support of a person accused of a crime for a legal defense fund are acceptable as they are related to firearms and the rights surrounding them.

Your thoughts are with the ADA I have to autistic kids, someone else has a blind or deaf child etc.

I think the mods point was this is not a "Missouri" forum, it is a "Missouri open carry of firearms" forum and post that have nothing relating to firearms are deleted no matter how noble the cause.

In other words, it looked like polite moderation of a spam posting that was not done in a power trip kind of way, they simply do not want every single member soliciting the forums for their particular cause is all.

Those are my thoughts anyway and I just thought I would share them and tell you I did not think it was done in malice, I have been around here a long while and have observed little moderation at all, this is a pretty free run forum IMHO.

FYI type II here and a full supporter of your cause as well.

ChiangShih

+1 LMTD

The last thing we need is a bunch of unrelated spamish posts on the MO board. There are other avenues you could take to solicit your charity, such as the OC facebook pages or private messages. I don't see this as mod abuse, it appears to be completely reasonable, IMO. You might appeal to have it moved to the social lounge, but I still think that a charity plea is something better solicited directly to those you know.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Repost the Thread in the Social Forum

I will personally review it.

John

StevenSTL

I will personally review it.

John

Thank you. I'm not so much upset that the thread was locked as much as I am that the moderator didn't give me a chance to move the thread.

+1 LMTD

The last thing we need is a bunch of unrelated spamish posts on the MO board. There are other avenues you could take to solicit your charity, such as the OC facebook pages or private messages. I don't see this as mod abuse, it appears to be completely reasonable, IMO. You might appeal to have it moved to the social lounge, but I still think that a charity plea is something better solicited directly to those you know.

I do know the people on this site. I have been very involved in the St. Louis OC movement in the past year. I figured my friends would like to support me on my ride.

Steve,

I am not a mod here, nor do I know any mods here.

This is an extremely easy going forum with VERY little moderation.

Spam is spam even when it is a worthy charity.

Sticking with the beliefs I have, if you allow one, you must allow all, I can see their point.

Solicitation of gun advocacy funds or funds in support of a person accused of a crime for a legal defense fund are acceptable as they are related to firearms and the rights surrounding them.

Your thoughts are with the ADA I have to autistic kids, someone else has a blind or deaf child etc.

I think the mods point was this is not a "Missouri" forum, it is a "Missouri open carry of firearms" forum and post that have nothing relating to firearms are deleted no matter how noble the cause.

In other words, it looked like polite moderation of a spam posting that was not done in a power trip kind of way, they simply do not want every single member soliciting the forums for their particular cause is all.

Those are my thoughts anyway and I just thought I would share them and tell you I did not think it was done in malice, I have been around here a long while and have observed little moderation at all, this is a pretty free run forum IMHO.

FYI type II here and a full supporter of your cause as well.

I 100% understand. The only thing I'm upset about is that I wasn't given the chance to move my thread or notified that I was going to be locked. Just seems like he came out of the shadows to lock the thread with no notice and then sank back as fast as he came.

What follows may be perceived as "not nice". Puffing out your chest, like a man, on a Interwebs site is probably not how you should go about winning friends and influencing people. If you want to advocate for a worthy charity get your own web site. This site is not yours nor do you have any rights to post anything here. We all are permitted to post here at the pleasure of the owners of this site.

With that said, having the opportunity to post your advocacy in the Social Lounge seems fair enough and within the forum rules as you rightly pointed out. If you wish to post in a state forum something that rightly belongs in the Social Lounge then how about a courtesy PM to a mod or admin before you post and see what they say. You might be surprised that sometimes it is easier to get permission than it is to say you are sorry.

Where did I puff my chest on the interwebs? All I asked was for the mod to identify himself so I could PM him and figure out what avenue I could use to help promote a charity event in the St. Louis area.

StevenSTL

I could have read more into this than what you meant, but words mean things and the burden must be on the person making the post to prevent misunderstandings on the Interwebs.

Am I always crystal clear in my posts, no, but I am trying to be.

I worded it like that because I feel like it was a childish move to come out of the shadows and lock my thread then sink back into hiding just as fast. Was it childish of me to call him out on a forum like I did? Definitely. But I was pretty heated at the time and couldn't find out who our moderator is through any other avenue.

MR Redenck

I worded it like that because I feel like it was a childish move to come out of the shadows and lock my thread then sink back into hiding just as fast. Was it childish of me to call him out on a forum like I did? Definitely. But I was pretty heated at the time and couldn't find out who our moderator is through any other avenue.

I agree with you on the moderator part. It's just good manners to explain things instead of acting that way.
I can see why you would get upset over that. You seem to be trying to go out of your way to help a good cause and then somebody does and does something like that. " Not Cool"!
BTW, Great job on helping and I hope your effort goes a long way for the ADA.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
We have some positive things happening in the St Louis area.

Lets not let a bunch of negative energy get in the way of a team effort.

Just feel the flow, absorb the energy ooooooohhhmmmmmm back to yoga class with all of us lol!!!

I like the cleaning of a post and locking it over the simple deletion myself.

Roll with it and move forward working for firearms rights like men, even men whom have had a disagreement but come together for a common cause.

Steve, you are quite welcome to bring the topic up over dinner Sunday night and if it has interest by all means it can be discussed, supported or whatever. If there is a sponsor sheet for your efforts folks can hit it after the meal. I am sure firearms will be a main topic but this is not a formal meeting by any means. This forum is somewhat a "formal" discussion area, we are guest of the admin whom selected the topic and we all expressed interest in his topic and joined him, nothing more and nothing less.

I have been on forums with control freaks for mods and assure you in no way what so ever have I seen that here and it is about as close to a free speech format as I have observed. Lets not let a couple of minutes in time of heated thought guide our paths, everyone has em and getting past them is some of the best proof of manhood that exist.

:)

I would like to formally notate this in no way is an indication that LMTD has become warm and fuzzy as that would lend itself to confusion of those whom know me best, now boogar off!!!!!!!!!

Rule number 2 of the forum pretty much says it all. Were the rules accepted when signing up?

Moderator Assistance provided:
..............--ACCEPTANCE OF RULES--
If you do not agree with any of these Rules then please do not use this site, because BY USING THIS SITE YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE IRREVOCABLY AGREED TO THESE RULES. Please note that these Rules may be revised and reissued without notice at any time. You should review the current Rules regularly, since your continued use of the site will be deemed as irrevocable acceptance of any revisions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

cash50

Who reads all those rules anyways? I just wanna talk on the internet, not learn the "rules" for some forum. Everyone needs to lighten up instead of OMG OMG OMG he broke the rules of the internetz!!

The solution seems to be pretty simple to me. If you don't want to read or abide by the rules don't enter the ballgame taking the chance of getting your balls bounced.

cash50

It's like I've always said, if you don't want blue balls, stay out of the ball pit!!!