Thread: Is New Haven declaring war on law abiding citizens carrying firearms?

Is New Haven declaring war on law abiding citizens carrying firearms?

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...g-illegal-guns

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Destafano
    "It sends a message that we'll not tolerate you carrying guns on the street," Mayor John DeStefano said.
    I was not aware you had that choice Mayor Destafano.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Surprised with rhetoric like that John DeStefano isn't signed on to Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Oooops, he is.
    http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns..../members.shtml
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Surprised with rhetoric like that John DeStefano isn't signed on to Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Oooops, he is.
    And he has a Chief of Police from Chicago.

http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/police...efDivision.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Oooops, he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    And he has a Chief of Police from Chicago.

http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/police...efDivision.asp
    Partners in grime as it were.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I can recall...... a short time ago....... I said New Haven wasn't open carry friendly...... and 2A friendly in general and I was chastised for those remarks.....

Funny how times change in a few short weeks.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    I can recall...... a short time ago....... I said New Haven wasn't open carry friendly...... and 2A friendly in general and I was chastised for those remarks.....

Funny how times change in a few short weeks.

Jonathan
    Different folks I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    The politicians are not friendly to any rights that I know of. However, to make a blanket statement that 'New Haven is not OC friendly' leads people to believe that they should refrain from OCing in New Haven for some kind of fear. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I actually feel quite the opposite. New Haven needs to see a lot more people OCing on a much more regular basis than ever before.

The politicians in New Haven certainly despise free people doing things that free people do, but we cannot say they are OC unfriendly when I am not hearing anything about them actually doing anything to interfere with OC, and I am certainly not experiencing it when I don't get detained by a rude and unprofessional officer who has trouble understanding basic CT law, but is quite obviously wishing he could get me for something.

By that measure, Old Saybrook and Wallingford are way less OC friendly, but I wouldn't even be comfortable saying that as both towns now have a different level of education than before and I haven't had an issue in either town since then.
    Last edited by Rich B; 05-18-2011 at 02:21 PM.

And....... my basis were dealing with the politicians.

And......

When the mayor says nonsense like this and..... the police department report to the mayors office......

I'm just sayin'....

I said it wasn't friendly, still don't think it is.

I would, however, gladly open carry down there.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...g-illegal-guns

I was not aware you had that choice Mayor Destafano.
    I don't see him talking about lawful carry. The article deals with illegal firearms. What did I miss?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    I don't see him talking about lawful carry. The article deals with illegal firearms. What did I miss?
    The spin is always on "illegal" guns, not the bad actors. More importantly the goal of MAIG has an implicit goal of disarming legal citizens.

Will never miss a chance to step on their toes .......... politely.

And his quote is that people will not carry firearms on 'his streets'.

We can certainly pretend like it is out of context and assume he is not anti-freedom, but he has made it clear in the past that is just wishful thinking.

We have enough problems with ignorant people thinking they know the laws in CT from quotes by people that don't have authority but act like one anyway. The best example that I commonly bring up is when the BFPE posted that but about open carry not being 'mature judgement'. People (including LEOs) still refer to that today.

So he is easily putting people like me and others who carry (especially openly) in New Haven at risk. Who knows what LEO or citizen is going to think that carrying a firearm is somehow not legal in New Haven now? Do I need to get verbally assaulted in public again by ignoramus who believes that he knows the laws better than I do?

The mayor said:

"we're not going to tolerate you carrying guns on the street"

Nothing about illegal, not even in context.

Jonathan

Thumbs up

hey guys lets get together one day as a group and OPEN CARRY in NEW HAVEN no better than NOW. and then will find out if they are talking about law abiding citizens carrying guns (LAWFULLY) on NEW HAVEN streets. no better message than this. i'am for this! lets do this ! ALEX EASTHARTFORD.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    The recently (last week) held an OPEN CARRY protest march in Philadelphia, Pa. The authorities were notified beforehand, and a permit was even obtained (not necessary, but nice to have). Philadelphia Police Department representatives were on hand, and they even admitted they learned something about legal handgun carry.

Visit the PAFOA.org site for more details.

A good time was had by all. Nobody was arrested. No shots fired. No puddles left in the street by liberals.

Thanx for the link.

Probably streets cleaner than any lib protest as well.

Jonathan