• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is New Haven declaring war on law abiding citizens carrying firearms?

KIX

I can recall...... a short time ago....... I said New Haven wasn't open carry friendly...... and 2A friendly in general and I was chastised for those remarks.....

Funny how times change in a few short weeks.

Jonathan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can recall...... a short time ago....... I said New Haven wasn't open carry friendly...... and 2A friendly in general and I was chastised for those remarks.....

Funny how times change in a few short weeks.

Jonathan

Different folks I suspect.

Rich B

The politicians are not friendly to any rights that I know of. However, to make a blanket statement that 'New Haven is not OC friendly' leads people to believe that they should refrain from OCing in New Haven for some kind of fear. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I actually feel quite the opposite. New Haven needs to see a lot more people OCing on a much more regular basis than ever before.

The politicians in New Haven certainly despise free people doing things that free people do, but we cannot say they are OC unfriendly when I am not hearing anything about them actually doing anything to interfere with OC, and I am certainly not experiencing it when I don't get detained by a rude and unprofessional officer who has trouble understanding basic CT law, but is quite obviously wishing he could get me for something.

By that measure, Old Saybrook and Wallingford are way less OC friendly, but I wouldn't even be comfortable saying that as both towns now have a different level of education than before and I haven't had an issue in either town since then.

Last edited:

KIX

And....... my basis were dealing with the politicians.

And......

When the mayor says nonsense like this and..... the police department report to the mayors office......

I'm just sayin'....

I said it wasn't friendly, still don't think it is.

I would, however, gladly open carry down there.

Jonathan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't see him talking about lawful carry. The article deals with illegal firearms. What did I miss?

The spin is always on "illegal" guns, not the bad actors. More importantly the goal of MAIG has an implicit goal of disarming legal citizens.

Will never miss a chance to step on their toes .......... politely.:D

Rich B

I don't see him talking about lawful carry. The article deals with illegal firearms. What did I miss?

And his quote is that people will not carry firearms on 'his streets'.

We can certainly pretend like it is out of context and assume he is not anti-freedom, but he has made it clear in the past that is just wishful thinking.

We have enough problems with ignorant people thinking they know the laws in CT from quotes by people that don't have authority but act like one anyway. The best example that I commonly bring up is when the BFPE posted that but about open carry not being 'mature judgement'. People (including LEOs) still refer to that today.

So he is easily putting people like me and others who carry (especially openly) in New Haven at risk. Who knows what LEO or citizen is going to think that carrying a firearm is somehow not legal in New Haven now? Do I need to get verbally assaulted in public again by ignoramus who believes that he knows the laws better than I do?

KIX

The mayor said:

"we're not going to tolerate you carrying guns on the street"

Nothing about illegal, not even in context.

Jonathan

Alex.EastHartford.

hey guys lets get together one day as a group and OPEN CARRY in NEW HAVEN no better than NOW. and then will find out if they are talking about law abiding citizens carrying guns (LAWFULLY) on NEW HAVEN streets. no better message than this. i'am for this! lets do this ! ALEX EASTHARTFORD.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
The recently (last week) held an OPEN CARRY protest march in Philadelphia, Pa. The authorities were notified beforehand, and a permit was even obtained (not necessary, but nice to have). Philadelphia Police Department representatives were on hand, and they even admitted they learned something about legal handgun carry.

Visit the PAFOA.org site for more details.

A good time was had by all. Nobody was arrested. No shots fired. No puddles left in the street by liberals.

KIX

Thanx for the link.

Probably streets cleaner than any lib protest as well.

Jonathan