• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restoration of the right to posses firearms case...by a retired LEO.

Dave_pro2a

He was convicted of a felony crime by due process, a condition of his conviction was not possessing a firearm unless and until that right is restored by the same due process.

He could move to Montana and immediately have his rights restored afaik (within the state border, while a legal resident, etc).

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Seems a shame/sham that a person who makes a mistake pays "his debt to society" turns his life around can than be denied his "inalienable" rights.

Let's not forget the constitution limits the governments power to infringe not the peoples. And since the second amendment specifically says they shall not infringe, it is a bit of a stretch in my mind that the government, courts may "indefinately" take away a natural right?

maclean

Seems a shame/sham that a person who makes a mistake pays "his debt to society" turns his life around can than be denied his "inalienable" rights.

Let's not forget the constitution limits the governments power to infringe not the peoples. And since the second amendment specifically says they shall not infringe, it is a bit of a stretch in my mind that the government, courts may "indefinately" take away a natural right?

Due process.

It says it right there in the document.

Now without due process, I'm right there with you.

The idea, BTW, goes back to a Scotsman. I'm a wee bit proud of that.

Read Hutcheson - Jefferson stole the idea from him.

sudden valley gunner

Due process.

It says it right there in the document.

Now without due process, I'm right there with you.

The idea, BTW, goes back to a Scotsman. I'm a wee bit proud of that.

Read Hutcheson - Jefferson stole the idea from him.

Do you mean Madison? Since he was the one that wrote that clause? I would rather read up on his reasoning for inserting this clause ( A rewritten version of the clause submitted to him by New York).

So can a felon who has done his time be denied his free speech? His 4th amendment right? His right not to incriminate himself? etc?

I think Madison might not agree with courts modern definition of due process and how it is often abused. ( besides it's not the courts intended purpose to define the constitution).

maclean

Do you mean Madison? Since he was the one that wrote that clause? I would rather read up on his reasoning for inserting this clause ( A rewritten version of the clause submitted to him by New York).

So can a felon who has done his time be denied his free speech? His 4th amendment right? His right not to incriminate himself? etc?

I think Madison might not agree with courts modern definition of due process and how it is often abused. ( besides it's not the courts intended purpose to define the constitution).

No, I meant Jefferson.

Madison and Jefferson conversed, but Jefferson made the distinction between alienable and inalienable from Hutcheson's influence.

There is more than one instance of the mention of due process in the document. The history is fascinating, and has been my hobby/love since I was 14.

I'm certain Madison and Jefferson would take issue with many things. On this we agree.

On the outcome of due process, I'm not so certain.

sudden valley gunner

No, I meant Jefferson.

Madison and Jefferson conversed, but Jefferson made the distinction between alienable and inalienable from Hutcheson's influence.

There is more than one instance of the mention of due process in the document. The history is fascinating, and has been my hobby/love since I was 14.

I'm certain Madison and Jefferson would take issue with many things. On this we agree.

On the outcome of due process, I'm not so certain.

Well since your post didn't mention inalienable rights but was discussing due process.

Yes the two amendments that have it is fascinating. So is the history of the abuse and misuse of it by the courts and its minions.

Now again, do you feel they have the right to indefinitely take away your 1st amendment rights? Your right not to discriminate against yourself? Your right not to feel secure in your person and affects?

Read up on Hutcheson I won't deny that founders may have quoted him, but many scholars rebut Gary Wills "theory" of his influence. And doubt they "stole" anything from them. Maybe borrowed, like they borrowed much from the indigenous people of the land.

Last edited: