Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: American Academy of Pediatrics -Questionable Stats

  1. #1
    Regular Member tomm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    mke, ,
    Posts
    174

    American Academy of Pediatrics -Questionable Stats

    So I took my little guy for his well visit the other day and the doc hands me the attached pamphlet. She never asked about firearms in the home so we had no discussion on the issue, but the pamphlet seems to give some questionable info

    "Firearm Hazards
    Children in homes where guns are present are in more danger of being shot by themselves,
    their friends, or family members than of being injured by an intruder. It is best to keep all guns
    out of the home. Handguns are especially dangerous. If you choose to keep a gun, keep it
    unloaded and in a locked place, with the ammunition locked separately. Ask if the homes
    where your child visits or is cared for have guns and how they are stored."
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    McX
    Guest
    cute..............it will never catch on.

  3. #3
    Regular Member LibertyDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    129
    Or you can teach your children respect for firearms, to include the proper way to use them and making sure they understand the dangers of them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North of DePere, south of Suamico
    Posts
    131
    My wife is still hesitant with my guns in the house. She also doesnt like when I take them out to clean them when our 4 year old(in 2 weeks) sees me doing this.

    I try explaining to her that if she doesnt make a big deal out of them, it wont be a big deal. Everytime he sees me with a gun, I look him in the eye and explain that a gun is a dangerous thing, and can cause people to go away and never come back, and that they are not toys.

    I dont think most people realize that children are smarter than what they give them credit for.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter View Post
    My wife is still hesitant with my guns in the house. She also doesnt like when I take them out to clean them when our 4 year old(in 2 weeks) sees me doing this.

    I try explaining to her that if she doesnt make a big deal out of them, it wont be a big deal. Everytime he sees me with a gun, I look him in the eye and explain that a gun is a dangerous thing, and can cause people to go away and never come back, and that they are not toys.

    I dont think most people realize that children are smarter than what they give them credit for.
    Because they are only smarter if you teach them, and they can be very curious. If someone never goes over something with the kid then the kid might do something bad simply because they are exploring (such as finger in a light socket). And sadly most people aren't parents anymore and don't properly teach their kids things such as respect for firearms.

  6. #6
    Regular Member XDFDE45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    823
    That's a load of st!!! I think it was back in the 90's that doctors started in on the anti gun crusade by handing out pamphlets or even telling patients they shouldn't have guns in the house, you are in danger with having a gun in the house blah blah blah. Seems people were NOT happy about that and started complaining to the AMA. The doctors in question got into a bit of trouble for it. Send it to the AMA and see what they have to say about it.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

    Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    It happens extremely rarely, and from my readings, and from a look at the WISQAR database (~398 in 2007), and frequently, I believe through gross negligence. So unintentional or accidental, as in 'couldn't see that coming' incidents are almost negligible frequency.

    I wonder how many parents quiz their neighbors, whom the child visits to see if they have firearms properly locked up?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Because they are only smarter if you teach them, and they can be very curious. If someone never goes over something with the kid then the kid might do something bad simply because they are exploring (such as finger in a light socket). And sadly most people aren't parents anymore and don't properly teach their kids things such as respect for firearms.
    I combat this by having a strict policy in my home: If the kids want to see the firearms, all they have to do is ask.

    I'll stop what I'm doing, make the firearms safe, let them hold them, ask questions, help me take them apart and explain the inner workings...etc. We talk about the rules of safe firearm handling...etc.

    What it did was create an atmosphere where the kids are no longer really interested in them unless we're going to the range. They have a healthy respect for the potential lethality, but are not interested in playing with firearms since their curiosity, for the most part, is satisfied.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter View Post
    My wife is still hesitant with my guns in the house. She also doesnt like when I take them out to clean them when our 4 year old(in 2 weeks) sees me doing this.

    I try explaining to her that if she doesnt make a big deal out of them, it wont be a big deal. Everytime he sees me with a gun, I look him in the eye and explain that a gun is a dangerous thing, and can cause people to go away and never come back, and that they are not toys.

    I dont think most people realize that children are smarter than what they give them credit for.
    Children should never be allowed to see or understand automobiles, bathtubs, stoves, cleaning supplies or puppy dog tails.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I combat this by having a strict policy in my home: If the kids want to see the firearms, all they have to do is ask.

    I'll stop what I'm doing, make the firearms safe, let them hold them, ask questions, help me take them apart and explain the inner workings...etc. We talk about the rules of safe firearm handling...etc.

    What it did was create an atmosphere where the kids are no longer really interested in them unless we're going to the range. They have a healthy respect for the potential lethality, but are not interested in playing with firearms since their curiosity, for the most part, is satisfied.
    I did this exact thing with my children. The interesting thing is that because firearms are so much apart of our everyday life, our home is absent that draw that children in homes that are not providing opportunity for the children to view, and hold the firearms have.

    I make sure, and 'clear' the firearm in front of them, while they are watching. I think that it is important for children to watch the process of looking at firearms in a safe manner.

    It is always nice to read other doing the same with their children. Now if we could just get parents who want to act as if firearms don't exist, to also teach their children about firearms safety, the lives of many children could be saved. Not all, but less children would lose their life, or be injured by mishandling firearms. The most dangerous thing when a firearm, and a child are in the same room is not the firearm itself, it is the child who was not taught how to handle situations where they find themselves in a room, with a firearm (loaded or unloaded) laying around.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  11. #11
    Regular Member msteinhilber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Verona, WI
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I combat this by having a strict policy in my home: If the kids want to see the firearms, all they have to do is ask.

    I'll stop what I'm doing, make the firearms safe, let them hold them, ask questions, help me take them apart and explain the inner workings...etc. We talk about the rules of safe firearm handling...etc.

    What it did was create an atmosphere where the kids are no longer really interested in them unless we're going to the range. They have a healthy respect for the potential lethality, but are not interested in playing with firearms since their curiosity, for the most part, is satisfied.
    This is precisely the way to tackle it. Too many parents push upon their children that they are to never ever touch or play with the gun's, many probably proceeding to yell at their children if they learn they did. It does nothing but make them more curious to return to the forbidden item and defy mom and dad.

  12. #12
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    For the last 10 yrs. the doc's have been asking my children about guns in the home, we taught them the art of MYOB. They understand that the only people looking out for their best interest is their parents.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  13. #13
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by tomm1963 View Post
    "Children in homes where guns are present are in more danger of being shot by themselves, their friends, or family members than of being injured by an intruder."
    The pamphlet is obviously based on Dr. Kellermann's biases, incompetent research. and outright lies; all heavily funded by the CDC. Add to that the historic anti-gun bias of the AMA over the last four decades and you have yourself a new pamphlet to "educate & enlighten" the parents of your patients. Sorry to say it but your pediatrician is either incapable of independent, critical thought or was asleep in class when they discussed valid vs. invalid research design, the impact of investigator bias, or the appropriate use of statistics. Go to the link, read, print out, and stick it in the MD's ear.

    http://www.jpands.org/hacienda/edcor6.html
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •