• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non resident Permit

dadpharm

I am interested in getting a non resident permit.I am from S>C> Anything you folks can provide would be helpful. Tx in advance.

PracticalTactical

Contact the Concealed Carry Unit at (800) 256-6280 and ask for an application packet. They mail it out to you.

Training requirements:
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.​

If you don't already have something to satisfy the training requirements (DD-214, permit from your state, etc.) then take any NRA course. Easiest is FIRST Steps pistol (3 hours).

Have somebody local roll your prints and send the app packet back into them (they even supply the envelope).

raptor5k

Hi, Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question on it too. I just moved to New Mexico, and have been checking out my options. The NM permit is a pain to get and keep good (refresher classes every 2 years, etc.) Plus, you have to qualify with both a semi and a revolver to be able to carry both, and in whatever caliber you want to carry. If you want to carry a 45, you have to qualify with it. If you qualify with your 9mm, you can't carry anything bigger, etc. It's such a hassle, especially since I just moved from Idaho where it was such a breeze. Plus the turnaround times I hear are in the 3-4 month range.

Anyway, I have been looking more and more at the AZ non-res, since it would be honored not only here, but a lot of other states too. I was basically trying to find an approved instructor off the AZ DPS site that was close to me, so that I could plan a weekend, drive to AZ, take the class, and apply for the permit. Then I stumbled upon this post, where you said you could take a simple NRA basic handgun class and be good. Is this true? I am overjoyed to hear it, since it would be a lot easier for me, but a little skeptical. Why does the AZ DPS have an "approved instructor" list, if any class like that would help me qualify? Any clarification would be great.

azcdlfred

I just moved to New Mexico, and have been checking out my options.
The first option you should look at is if New Mexico will honor anything but a New Mexico permit for a resident. Most states require their residents to have permits from their state. Before Constitutional Carry, Arizona residents needed Arizona permits.

Anyway, I have been looking more and more at the AZ non-res, since it would be honored not only here, but a lot of other states too. I was basically trying to find an approved instructor off the AZ DPS site that was close to me, so that I could plan a weekend, drive to AZ, take the class, and apply for the permit. Then I stumbled upon this post, where you said you could take a simple NRA basic handgun class and be good. Is this true? I am overjoyed to hear it, since it would be a lot easier for me, but a little skeptical. Why does the AZ DPS have an "approved instructor" list, if any class like that would help me qualify? Any clarification would be great.
Prior to Constitutional Carry, Arizona permit training had to occur in Arizona. It was not in the law, it was an administrative rule (lawmaking by unelected bureaucrats) of DPS.

With Constitutional Carry, all that went out the window and Arizona's permit requirements are almost identical to Florida's (and not by accident). The ways to qualify for a permit are in ARS 13-3112.N .

Note that you can qualify with a DD-214, permit from a state with a training or testing requirement, or taking an NRA pistol class. I recommend contacting DPS . DPS is the outfit that will process your application. Might as well start there.

Fred

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Why does the AZ DPS have an "approved instructor" list, if any class like that would help me qualify? Any clarification would be great.
Sorry, I missed this on my prior reply.

The "approved instructor" list is a holdover from before Constitutional Carry.

In the past, in order to beg for government permission to allow your clothing to cover your firearm, you had to take a DPS designed course from an "approved" instructor. By only allowing classes to be taken from instructors anointed by DPS, this directed where students had to spend their money. Guess who strongly supported the old CCW system and screamed real loud when we pushed for any changes?

With the passage of Constitutional Carry, DPS is out of the training business. There will be no more "approved instructors" and the list will dwindle as their certifications expire. However, that list contains a whole lot of folks who understand Arizona law and have taught CCW classes. Savvy, market-oriented instructors have begun customizing their curriculum.

Don't discount them as a resource, but taking a state designed course from government approved instructors is no longer a requirement to obtain a CCW permit in Arizona.

Fred

Last edited:

raptor5k

Thanks for the info. The one thing I'm skeptical about is the part about checking if NM would allow a resident to carry using a non-res permit from another state. How could they honor a non-res permit in the state, but then set restrictions on their own residents using it? Not that I'm saying I don't believe you, I'll just have to check into it is all. Thanks for all the info though. I guess theoretically I could take the NM 16 hour class, and use it to get an AZ non res permit, huh? that should show knowledge of a firearm and all.

azcdlfred

The one thing I'm skeptical about is the part about checking if NM would allow a resident to carry using a non-res permit from another state. How could they honor a non-res permit in the state, but then set restrictions on their own residents using it?
Because they can. The New Mexico constitution specifcially excludes concealed carry from the right to bear arms. That means concealed carry is a privilege granted in statute. It's not a "right."

Most states require residents of that state to possess a permit issued by that state. Even when we (AzCDL) got Arizona laws changed to simply recognize any permit issued by any state, residents of the state still needed to obtain an Arizona permit.

Even with no permit requirement in Arizona, federal law requires an Arizona permit to bypass the NICS check when buying guns.

I guess theoretically I could take the NM 16 hour class, and use it to get an AZ non res permit, huh? that should show knowledge of a firearm and all.
That will work. Plus our Arizona permit is recongized by Nevada.

Fred

Last edited: