• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic Richmond Sat Aug 6th, 2011

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mark your calenders and plan ahead - bring family, friends and neighbors.

Scheduled August 6 for shelters 5&6 at Pocahontas State Park.

More details will be announced in the near future.

DoubleTap

Picnic!

My calendar is marked, sir GS - LOL. It's about time that we have a picnic in our area. Really looking forward to seeing everyone. Have been out of the loop for way too long.....

See you there

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
1. VCDL Picnic in Chesterfield on August to celebrate State Park OC

Mark your calendars!

To celebrate the Governor McDonnell's directive earlier this year to allow both open and concealed carry in State Parks, VCDL is having a picnic on Saturday, August 6th, at the Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield county from 11 AM to 2 PM.

Address:

10301 State Park Road
Chesterfield Court House, VA 23832

We are planning some guest speakers, who will be announced at a later date.

The picnic is open to the public and is free (there is a $5 parking fee that the parks charge for each vehicle entering the park), but waived this year if you are active duty or retired military.

If you are planning on attending, please RSVP to: picnics@vcdl.org

Use a subject line that say "Attending" followed by the number in your party, like this, "Attending 3"

If you can help with set up, cooking on the grills, or tear down, please indicate so in your email to picnics@vcdl.org

2a4all

1. VCDL Picnic in Chesterfield on August to celebrate State Park OC

The picnic is open to the public and is free (there is a $5 parking fee that the parks charge for each vehicle entering the park), but waived this year if you are active duty or retired military.
Not quite. The parking fee is waived this year for active duty and all military veterans. If you're not retired, just bring your DD214.

http://www.publicsafety.virginia.gov/News/viewRelease.cfm?id=768

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This picnic is really taking off and promises to be a major success!

I am up and about somewhat (recovering) and WILL be there. We have much more to celebrate than just the State Parks - look back over the years and you will see how far VCDL has advanced your RKBA. What I think we celebrate the most is YOU the individual members who have made this all possible. This picnic is yours, a small but public acknowledgement of our "Thank You" for making Virginia one of the best places to live on this earth.

Please join with me in this opportunity to stand with your brothers and sisters, share stories, good food and a day of fun and relaxation.

I'm going to be saying a few words - got a lot I could say, but I promise to be brief. ; )
Will have my entire family with me and the pride of my life DoubleTap.

I would consider it a personal favor to see everyone I have ever met, talked to and exchanged ideas with or simply share a common ground with there. Frankly, this is a celebration for me individually - the result of your faith and trust in who we all are. WE STAND TALL!

If you are planning on attending, please RSVP to: picnics@vcdl.org

Use a subject line that says "Attending" followed by the number in your party, like this, "Attending 3"

va_tazdad

Snickerdoodle shortage in Virginia

Sorry but I will have to miss it this year and can't bring the Snickerdoodles.

I have been informed that I/we will be taking a trip to Florida on my vacation. While I enjoy the fine folks that gather for these functions, I have not seen my youngest since Christmas and am looking forward to seeing her again.

Have fun folks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry but I will have to miss it this year and can't bring the Snickerdoodles.

I have been informed that I/we will be taking a trip to Florida on my vacation. While I enjoy the fine folks that gather for these functions, I have not seen my youngest since Christmas and am looking forward to seeing her again.

Have fun folks!

Will miss you AND the Snickerdoodles !!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is my understanding that a member will be bringing a large industrial fan and generator to maintain a fresh breeze just in case the temperature/humidity is on the high side - good thinking.

Right now the predicted high is 91degrees,so by mid-day we should only be about 86 - 87 - that's a radical improvement over recent scorchers.

sidestreet

I sent an e-mail...,

hope it got through. It'll be me and two more for right now. Also may be able to help with set up and tear down if someone will let me know when, what, and where.

Help me out Grape, as much as you can.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
hope it got through. It'll be me and two more for right now. Also may be able to help with set up and tear down if someone will let me know when, what, and where.

Help me out Grape, as much as you can.

sidestreet

You're confirmed.

Set up grills, cover tables, start chaffing dishes, and ice down drinks etc about 9:00 AM, shelters #5 & #6

Clean up trash and load up grills etc, maybe an extra hour from 2-3:00 PM

Extra hands are always appreciated. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From the picnic coordinator

My current count right now is 94. Thinking we may see some more added in the next few days with the reminder going out. Of these 94, I have the following who offered to help with setup:

Dave - (was told 10am)
Richard
JC

If there is a preferred time for people to come help out, I can send a note to Richard and JC about it as well as any additional responses that come in. I know one email I have seen amongst us said to start about 8am so arrangements can be made for cake, ice, etc. As below there is a water spigot at each shelter so should make things a little easier. Our reservation goes 8am-8pm Saturday.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/poc.shtml#picnicshelters

Shelter 5 (large): This shelter accommodates 70-80. It is not within easy walking distance to the aqua center/pool, playground and boating areas. This shelter features a fireplace, water spigot, large grill and handicapped picnic tables. It's in a moderately shaded area; a small stream well suited for novice or young anglers is only a short walk away. The shelter is 40 feet from parking and 160 feet from the restroom. There is no electricity. There is no vehicle access (for unloading) directly adjacent to to this shelter.

Shelter 6 (small): This shelter accommodates 30-40 and there are no additional tables around the shelter. This shelter is not within easy walking distance to the aqua center/pool, playground and boating areas. This shelter does feature a water spigot, large grill and handicapped picnic tables. The shelter is moderately shaded and a small stream that is well suited for novice or young anglers is nearby. The shelter is 100 feet from parking and 375 feet from the restroom. There are no electrical outlets.

Brandy

In addition, I might suggest bringing lawn chairs as a creature comfort.

Children Welcome - they are the lifeblood of our country.

Pets Welcome
- Pets are permitted in enclosed areas or on a leash no longer than 6 feet. Please clean up after your pet. Pets may not be left unattended at any time.

67GT390FB

My current count right now is 94. Thinking we may see some more added in the next few days with the reminder going out. Of these 94, I have the following who offered to help with setup:

Dave - (was told 10am)
Richard
JC

If there is a preferred time for people to come help out, I can send a note to Richard and JC about it as well as any additional responses that come in. I know one email I have seen amongst us said to start about 8am so arrangements can be made for cake, ice, etc. As below there is a water spigot at each shelter so should make things a little easier. Our reservation goes 8am-8pm Saturday.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/poc.shtml#picnicshelters

Shelter 5 (large): This shelter accommodates 70-80. It is not within easy walking distance to the aqua center/pool, playground and boating areas. This shelter features a fireplace, water spigot, large grill and handicapped picnic tables. It's in a moderately shaded area; a small stream well suited for novice or young anglers is only a short walk away. The shelter is 40 feet from parking and 160 feet from the restroom. There is no electricity. There is no vehicle access (for unloading) directly adjacent to to this shelter.

Shelter 6 (small): This shelter accommodates 30-40 and there are no additional tables around the shelter. This shelter is not within easy walking distance to the aqua center/pool, playground and boating areas. This shelter does feature a water spigot, large grill and handicapped picnic tables. The shelter is moderately shaded and a small stream that is well suited for novice or young anglers is nearby. The shelter is 100 feet from parking and 375 feet from the restroom. There are no electrical outlets.

Brandy

In addition, I might suggest bringing lawn chairs as a creature comfort.

Children Welcome - they are the lifeblood of our country. Children are permitted in enclosed areas or on a leash no longer than 6 feet. Please clean up after your Children. Children may not be left unattended at any time.[/

Pets Welcome
- Pets are permitted in enclosed areas or on a leash no longer than 6 feet. Please clean up after your pet. Pets may not be left unattended at any time.

fixed it for you

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
fixed it for you

Be nice you were a kid once yourself.
icon6.png

sidestreet

Thanks Grape...,

You're confirmed.

Set up grills, cover tables, start chaffing dishes, and ice down drinks etc about 9:00 AM, shelters #5 & #6

Clean up trash and load up grills etc, maybe an extra hour from 2-3:00 PM

Extra hands are always appreciated. :D

got two replies to my e-mail and I let them know that I'd be there as soon as I could get away from work, get changed and run out there. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone, but especially you and the beautiful Miss Double Tap!!! Just keep getting better, brother!!! Jeremiah 29, vs. 11-13.

sidestreet

SFDoc

It is my understanding that a member will be bringing a large industrial fan and generator to maintain a fresh breeze just in case the temperature/humidity is on the high side - good thinking.

Sorry folks, the motor on the fan locked up and I don't have time to get new bearings or another motor before Saturday