• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic Richmond Sat Aug 6th, 2011

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is my understanding that a member will be bringing a large industrial fan and generator to maintain a fresh breeze just in case the temperature/humidity is on the high side - good thinking.

Sorry folks, the motor on the fan locked up and I don't have time to get new bearings or another motor before Saturday

With the shelter shade, trees and lower anticipated temperatures, we should do fine.

SFDoc

Just got off the phone with my brother-in-law, he has a motor that may work. I'm meeting Phil and another member this evening to pick-up supplies for the picnic and if time permits, will try to get the fan back together and bring it just in case. Wish me luck.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Spent about 3 hours on 95 today and only got to Dale City.. I bailed and came home.

Heard that I-95 S was a parking lot. You really missed a good one - approximately 100 in attendance, great weather, plenty of food and super non-stop conversations. Even some of the park staff stopped by for lunch. :D

Hopefully Peter Nap will post some of the video he took for those that couldn't make it, so they can see what they missed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was great!
A much better turnout than the last one.
I saw a lot of the regulars...Joe, Kim, the Wolfhound and his parents, Double Tap was there and she always brightens up a room, the Nightmare,Paul, even User showed. Got to talk to Doug a little and I hadn't seen him for a while. J.C. was right in the thick of it, as usual and brought his wonderful family.

The big pat on the back goes to those that did the work...Guys, it was perfect, thanks!

I'm not going to put up a lot of video, or at least right away.

Bruce and Philip spoke, I will put up a clip of Bruce because the message is important.....

BUT there was a very special and touching presentation, that will be put up. That was made by Grapeshot whom we all know is an extremely complex person. Every time I think I know him well, he pulls a rabbit out of his hat and shows another side I hadn't seen. I definately had a lump in my throat after that was over.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
The mrs ant I made it over two hours late. Took five hours to do a three hour trip thanks to traffic between Norfolk and Wiliiamsburg. Had a good time all the same. Good talking to Grapeshot, Skidmark, User and all the others.

t33j

user

Accomplished Advocate
I had a terrific time, myself! I met lots of interesting folks, and got myself "full as a fat tick", as me ol' Dad used to say, on good food. Whoever arranged for the weather deserves special credit. It didn't start raining until the moment I stuck my key in the car door lock, getting set to go home.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I had a terrific time, myself! I met lots of interesting folks, and got myself "full as a fat tick", as me ol' Dad used to say, on good food. Whoever arranged for the weather deserves special credit. It didn't start raining until the moment I stuck my key in the car door lock, getting set to go home.

At least one of the was more interesting than the others, from your questions. Did you ever find out if your suspicion was accurate? (And knowing those who were taking pictures, I'm sure there are more than enough photos so that the existence of at least one face shot exists - maybe.)

stay safe.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

The rain started as we were setting up the tent at our camp site, but wasn't to heavy. Had a good time. Thanks All.:)

user

Accomplished Advocate
At least one of the was more interesting than the others, from your questions. Did you ever find out if your suspicion was accurate? (And knowing those who were taking pictures, I'm sure there are more than enough photos so that the existence of at least one face shot exists - maybe.)

stay safe.

Negative. Didn't much care, though. For those not in on the conversations, I suspected at the pic-nic, that a couple of those in attendance, apparently unknown to anyone else, not visibly carrying, and who introduced themselves only by first name (and no "Waugah on OCDO" kind of thing), and asking a bunch of silly questions about what kinds of guns people were carrying, may have been doing surveillance of some kind for either governmental or nongovernmental entities interested to see what the "gun nuts" are up to.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Negative. Didn't much care, though. For those not in on the conversations, I suspected at the pic-nic, that a couple of those in attendance, apparently unknown to anyone else, not visibly carrying, and who introduced themselves only by first name (and no "Waugah on OCDO" kind of thing), and asking a bunch of silly questions about what kinds of guns people were carrying, may have been doing surveillance of some kind for either governmental or nongovernmental entities interested to see what the "gun nuts" are up to.

Got the same vib. One well built, shaved head, noC gentleman wearing a GSL button said he had just discovered us on line that day..........aaa where'd he get the button? My BS meter pegged! :uhoh:

Oh well - hope he had fun. :lol:

67GT390FB

I met this couple, the guy was carrying a Les Baer Thunder Ranch like mine except he had changed out the grips for a nice set of double diamond cocobolos. he approached me when he saw and recognized my Baer. So no i don;t think there was anything nefarious going on User, you probably couldn;t see the gun because his significant other was concealing it for him as she seemed glued to him at the right hip. undercover secret agents typically arent OC'ing $2,000.00 handguns or recognize them by their grips from across the room. I think they were just newbies or at least he was, his girlfriend seemed nice but very blonde.

By the way I hope i gave you the answers you were looking for in regards to ridding yourself of unwanted deer legally during non hunting seasons.

t33j

I think they were just newbies or at least he was, his girlfriend seemed nice but very blonde.

Oh, the guy with the nice leather? I had a fairly long conversation with him. If he's anti, he sure knows a lot of factual information about guns.

67GT390FB

got the same vib. One well built, shaved head, noc gentleman wearing a gsl button said he had just discovered us on line that day..........aaa where'd he get the button? My bs meter pegged! :uhoh:

Oh well - hope he had fun. :lol:

brandy(i think) was selling buttons,bumperstickers/ etc there grape