• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being Ignored…

ProGunExtremest

For the past 5-6 months I have been trying to arrange a meeting with a local Belmont
detective to arrange a meeting to get a Firearms ID card. Unfortunately for me the
police are ignoring me. Can anyone think of a way to make them meet with me?

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For the past 5-6 months I have been trying to arrange a meeting with a local Belmont
detective to arrange a meeting to get a Firearms ID card. Unfortunately for me the

Thanks

Talk to a local instructor or do the work yourself - ignore the detective.

Once you submit the completed application, they have 40 days to respond.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6814858_fid-card-massachusetts.html

Rattrapper

Why you appling for a FID instead of a LTC A? Call make an appointment or ask when he will be in, If that does not work call the Police Chief and then the Town Manager.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only thing I need is to get fingerprinted and photographed but they wont set up a time. What will the instructor do?

Give knowledgeable advice.

Why you appling for a FID instead of a LTC A? Call make an appointment or ask when he will be in, If that does not work call the Police Chief and then the Town Manager.

Consider a Writ of Mandamus.
"A writ or order that is issued from a court of superior jurisdiction that commands an inferior tribunal, corporation, Municipal Corporation, or individual to perform, or refrain from performing, a particular act, the performance or omission of which is required by law as an obligation."

"Generally, such a petition for a mandamus order is made to compel a judicial or government officer to perform a duty owed to the petitioner."
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/writ+of+mandamus

WCrawford

Thanks

Glad you found your way here from Copblock.org.

I'd take Grapeshot's advise. Maybe you can begin my speaking to the person who did your hunter safety course.

Does MA's state law require you to apply for the FID with the local police? If not, maybe you could go to the sheriff's office, or even state police.

ProGunExtremest

I will be applying for a LTC A when Im 21 (in 4 months). I call and they always give me some exuse. If i drop by they say 'no walk ins'. The Chief isnt any better but I have been talking to someone who works for the Select men so Ill see how that goes...

ProGunExtremest

Glad you found your way here from Copblock.org.

I'd take Grapeshot's advise. Maybe you can begin my speaking to the person who did your hunter safety course.

Does MA's state law require you to apply for the FID with the local police? If not, maybe you could go to the sheriff's office, or even state police.

Yeah Ive already called the sate police and they said you have to go though the town.

ProGunExtremest

Give knowledgeable advice.

Consider a Writ of Mandamus.
"A writ or order that is issued from a court of superior jurisdiction that commands an inferior tribunal, corporation, Municipal Corporation, or individual to perform, or refrain from performing, a particular act, the performance or omission of which is required by law as an obligation."

"Generally, such a petition for a mandamus order is made to compel a judicial or government officer to perform a duty owed to the petitioner."
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/writ+of+mandamus

Okay Ill call up the place I took the test but Writ of Mandamus seems like a solid bet.

ProGunExtremest

And that will seriously get there attention.

Although Im still not sure what the instructors will do. I feel like apart from legal action the town will continue to ignore me. Im going to have to talk to a lawyer about my possibilities with the writ of mandamus. Ill let you guys know how this all turns out. Thanks for the help and if you think of anything else let me know.

WCrawford

Although Im still not sure what the instructors will do. I feel like apart from legal action the town will continue to ignore me. Im going to have to talk to a lawyer about my possibilities with the writ of mandamus. Ill let you guys know how this all turns out. Thanks for the help and if you think of anything else let me know.

It may be possible that the instructor has a "relationship" with the officer that you need to make your appointment with.

When you did walk in, did you ask to see the person or did you ask to make an appointment?

Good luck. Keep us informed on how things are going.

If you do find that you need a lawyer, I'm sure someone here can suggest a name or two.

Last edited:

ProGunExtremest

It may be possible that the instructor has a "relationship" with the officer that you need to make your appointment with.

When you did walk in, did you ask to see the person or did you ask to make an appointment?

Good luck. Keep us informed on how things are going.

If you do find that you need a lawyer, I'm sure someone here can suggest a name or two.

Oh I see. Ill see if I can track down one of the teachers.
When I went in I said I was here to get fingerprinted/photographed. But then when they asked if I had an appointment I said no.
The detective who does the FID cards is away but I think once he is back Im just going to show up again.

snatale42

Thanks

First DO NOT apply for FID, Apply For LTC-A. Go to the state police page, print and fill out the app and drop it off. They can't "not accept" it. Then there clock starts. Keep in mind Belmont usually never gives unrestricted permits but you have to apply for one anyways. FID is only good for long guns. After a week or so you should be called in for your interview. Dress professional and be polite.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
And that will seriously get there attention.

It will, but it will also guarantee a T&H restriction.

Are you saying that getting the court to require that a public official perform his job properly is going to earn him a restriction. How?

Secondly, restriction of what? He does not have a permit and his not indicated he was pursuing one.

I am not that finely tuned on MA law, so please educate me.

snatale42

Are you saying that getting the court to require that a public official perform his job properly is going to earn him a restriction. How?

Secondly, restriction of what? He does not have a permit and his not indicated he was pursuing one.

I am not that finely tuned on MA law, so please educate me.

You cannot posses a gun AT ALL in MA without FID or an LTC. If you bust the cops balls by going over their head, they'll bust back by issuing a restricted permit or denying you all together. FID (which the OP referred too) is shall issue but only lets you have long guns, completely useless. An LTC-A overrides the FID so you can have long guns and handguns.(Same cost as FID) In MA your City or Town is the issuing authority. Every police dept can basically do whatever they want. Some towns issue unrestricted permits, which equal a working permit to conceal. Others give it with restrictions which can be Target & Hunting, Employment Only, Sporting, No Outdoor Carry or the dreaded "Other" which they can make up a reason on the spot. Belmont is a "red" town which means the chance of getting a permit is slim to none to begin with. Others with pro gun police chiefs allow you to exercise your rights without hassle. It all depends on where you live. If denied you can challenge the decision in court, but that typically doesn't work unless you have a REAL good argument OR your loaded. Your "Rights" don't mean anything in a Red town. Part of the LTC process is an interview where they decide if your a "suitable" person to have a permit or not. You can be squeaky clean with no record at all, it doesn't matter. The loophole (for them) is you can apply for your permit, they'll issue you a restricted one which does nothing for you (which you didn't apply for) BUT you can't fight it because you didn't get "denied" as you got "A" permit. Most people in that situation don't get anywhere without a lawyer. It's a very screwed up system. Yet at the same time on the other side of the state some PD's don't even conduct the interview and you have your permit in your hand in 2 weeks. It's ALL about where you live. I'm from Boston which is the worst of them all, I'll be very careful where I move when I go back to MA for this exact reason.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You cannot posses a gun AT ALL in MA without FID or an LTC. If you bust the cops balls by going over their head, they'll bust back by issuing a restricted permit or denying you all together. FID (which the OP referred too) is shall issue but only lets you have long guns, completely useless. An LTC-A overrides the FID so you can have long guns and handguns.(Same cost as FID) In MA your City or Town is the issuing authority. Every police dept can basically do whatever they want. Some towns issue unrestricted permits, which equal a working permit to conceal. Others give it with restrictions which can be Target & Hunting, Employment Only, Sporting, No Outdoor Carry or the dreaded "Other" which they can make up a reason on the spot. Belmont is a "red" town which means the chance of getting a permit is slim to none to begin with. Others with pro gun police chiefs allow you to exercise your rights without hassle. It all depends on where you live. If denied you can challenge the decision in court, but that typically doesn't work unless you have a REAL good argument OR your loaded. Your "Rights" don't mean anything in a Red town. Part of the LTC process is an interview where they decide if your a "suitable" person to have a permit or not. You can be squeaky clean with no record at all, it doesn't matter. The loophole (for them) is you can apply for your permit, they'll issue you a restricted one which does nothing for you (which you didn't apply for) BUT you can't fight it because you didn't get "denied" as you got "A" permit. Most people in that situation don't get anywhere without a lawyer. It's a very screwed up system. Yet at the same time on the other side of the state some PD's don't even conduct the interview and you have your permit in your hand in 2 weeks. It's ALL about where you live. I'm from Boston which is the worst of them all, I'll be very careful where I move when I go back to MA for this exact reason.

Appreciate the insight - that totally $nck$. Sometimes we take too much for granted the freedoms we have won in Virginia and complain too much about the things yet to be accomplished.

Then we are brought back to the reality of that with which others must deal.

ProGunExtremest

First DO NOT apply for FID, Apply For LTC-A. Go to the state police page, print and fill out the app and drop it off. They can't "not accept" it. Then there clock starts. Keep in mind Belmont usually never gives unrestricted permits but you have to apply for one anyways. FID is only good for long guns. After a week or so you should be called in for your interview. Dress professional and be polite.

Im not 21 yet but in 4 months I will be applying for that.

ProGunExtremest

So is it hopeless? Do I have to move for this to work?