• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CDC warns to prepare for ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

Metalhead47

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/...e-apocalypse/?test=latestnews?test=latestnews

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Now admittedly, this was tongue-in-cheek. I can't pull up the direct link to the CDC's blog right now but I'll bet it, like the news story, conveniently forgets to mention the single most important item for a zombie apocalypse :banghead: (and also critical in any other disaster): A FIREARM! Preferably a bloody big one. Ideally several. And more ammo than the local potential zombie population.

Aknazer

At the last gun show I was at there was a booth called Zombie Tactical and they sold interesting "zombie" gear. The main thing would have been a first aid box labeled as a zombie survival kit and a "biohazard" zombie antidote water bottle. Though he did have other things like stickers, bracelets, mini first aid kit, and other small items and is looking to add other things to the list. It was pretty cool to see a few guys with a sense of humor there.

Metalhead47

It was pretty cool to see a few guys with a sense of humor there.

Did they have some left, or did it all sell out? I think pos #8 up there could use one... Maybe a couple.

Oh well, zombies always get the stodgy ones first... Or they make it to the last ten minutes and go in a really memorable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aknazer

Did they have some left, or did it all sell out? I think pos #8 up there could use one... Maybe a couple.

Oh well, zombies always get the stodgy ones first... Or they make it to the last ten minutes and go in a really memorable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure they were selling out quick, though the guy at the table next to him (similar theme to zombie tactical but different name that I forget) was selling ear plugs made from 9mm cases should he not want to listen! I made sure to get a pair of the silver ones for when I'm on the flightline.

rscottie

No Firearms Mention???

How can you tout your Zombie Survival Tips with no mention of firearms?

I would like to know the best caliber to use. The bulk of the literature involving the proper way to dispatch zombies involve a shot to the head. Also, there is usually an admonishment to not get zombie blood in your eyes, mouth or cuts. Thus, I would surmise that it would be a good idea to use the smallest caliber weapon possible to avoid large splatter.

Hey CDC, you could answer that question! I'll warn ya though, it will get debated.

I think it would be good to invest in some decent bio-hazard protection gear too. Can't be too careful ya know.

Aknazer

How can you tout your Zombie Survival Tips with no mention of firearms?

I would like to know the best caliber to use. The bulk of the literature involving the proper way to dispatch zombies involve a shot to the head. Also, there is usually an admonishment to not get zombie blood in your eyes, mouth or cuts. Thus, I would surmise that it would be a good idea to use the smallest caliber weapon possible to avoid large splatter.

Hey CDC, you could answer that question! I'll warn ya though, it will get debated.

I think it would be good to invest in some decent bio-hazard protection gear too. Can't be too careful ya know.

You will want a decent size bullet. Remember that this isn't Holleywood and as such brains don't just explode with a whisper silent .22LR round. Also it depends on the type of "zombie" we're dealing with. Some of the variations out there we're simply dealing with a virus that causes swelling of the brain, loss of the use of the frontal lobe, a hunger for living human flesh, and severe halitosis. Others cause the actual cells to reanimate and continue performing the basic instincts located primarily in the brain stem. Also regardless of which type of zombie it is they don't feel pain and you can't send their body into shock.

Now if we're dealing with the first zombie ("Zombieland" and "28 Days Later" are good examples of these kinds of zombies) they "can" die from other wounds via bleeding out (but note that their blood seems to clot quicker than normal and they can live with wounds that would kill a normal human), but shots to the head are the quickest way to stop them. Caliber isn't a huge but you want it big enough to be able to punch through a thick skull and deal a good amount of damage. As everyone knows someone can survive a shot to the head from a small caliber bullet, and with zombies they have even more of their brain that they can live without. If you can really call it "living."

If we're dealing with the second type of zombie ("Dawn of the Dead" or any of the "Resident Evil" movies) where you shoot them and the size of the caliber matter a lot more. The zombies don't need any blood to survive and so they can't eventually die from gratuitous amounts of blood loss. Hell most of the time the blood has already colagulated with these zombies. No, what is needed here is either severe damage to the brain or brain stem. Thanks to Holleywood magic you would think that any bullet that enters the brain makes it magically turn into pink/red smoke but that just isn't the case! You are going to want to have the largest reasonble caliber. And by that I mean nothing smaller than a .40 when working with partners (you don't want to accidentally punch through the zombie and hit a partner on the othe side as your survivor numbers are already extremely low), and the bigger the better when aiming in directions that don't have survivors. That .50 cal you've been wanting to try? Go for it! Hell it just might take down multiple zombies. Ma'Duece mounted at head level? Watermelon shooting spree!

So just remember, head shots are important. Heads don't just blow up with any caliber. And be mindful of where other survivors are. Oh and have tons of ammo. Having a bajillion different guns does you no good if you don't have any ammo to use them!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
WTF? Everyone knows the Zombie Apocalypse was in November 2008. Let's hope the rest of us who aren't infected with the moonbat disease show up to vote in Nov 2012.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

You will want a decent size bullet. Remember that this isn't Holleywood and as such brains don't just explode with a whisper silent .22LR round. Also it depends on the type of "zombie" we're dealing with. Some of the variations out there we're simply dealing with a virus that causes swelling of the brain, loss of the use of the frontal lobe, a hunger for living human flesh, and severe halitosis. Others cause the actual cells to reanimate and continue performing the basic instincts located primarily in the brain stem. Also regardless of which type of zombie it is they don't feel pain and you can't send their body into shock.

Now if we're dealing with the first zombie ("Zombieland" and "28 Days Later" are good examples of these kinds of zombies) they "can" die from other wounds via bleeding out (but note that their blood seems to clot quicker than normal and they can live with wounds that would kill a normal human), but shots to the head are the quickest way to stop them. Caliber isn't a huge but you want it big enough to be able to punch through a thick skull and deal a good amount of damage. As everyone knows someone can survive a shot to the head from a small caliber bullet, and with zombies they have even more of their brain that they can live without. If you can really call it "living."

If we're dealing with the second type of zombie ("Dawn of the Dead" or any of the "Resident Evil" movies) where you shoot them and the size of the caliber matter a lot more. The zombies don't need any blood to survive and so they can't eventually die from gratuitous amounts of blood loss. Hell most of the time the blood has already colagulated with these zombies. No, what is needed here is either severe damage to the brain or brain stem. Thanks to Holleywood magic you would think that any bullet that enters the brain makes it magically turn into pink/red smoke but that just isn't the case! You are going to want to have the largest reasonble caliber. And by that I mean nothing smaller than a .40 when working with partners (you don't want to accidentally punch through the zombie and hit a partner on the othe side as your survivor numbers are already extremely low), and the bigger the better when aiming in directions that don't have survivors. That .50 cal you've been wanting to try? Go for it! Hell it just might take down multiple zombies. Ma'Duece mounted at head level? Watermelon shooting spree!

So just remember, head shots are important. Heads don't just blow up with any caliber. And be mindful of where other survivors are. Oh and have tons of ammo. Having a bajillion different guns does you no good if you don't have any ammo to use them!

Wow!!! thats lots a good info right there!
i have an FNP45 but only 300 rds,
will a faster 9mm super be a good trade off?
also a have an AK and a Drace in 7.62x39, still a good enough trade off?
i suppose my CZ-52 and yugo M-57 in 7.62x25 tokarev must be at the bottom of the scale.
hope i never have to go so small, but i do have alot of the small rds...

Metalhead47

i suppose my CZ-52 and yugo M-57 in 7.62x25 tokarev must be at the bottom of the scale.

WHy are we even discussing pistol calibers here? This is the apocalypse we're talking about, no more need to be polite about long gun carry. My pistol will get me to the nearest rifle or shotgun. Preferably both. Now, the 12 gauge lacks range & accuracy but it's a well-documented head-exploder, and especially with the slower "dawn of the dead" zombies you have more time to aim. I'd prefer the superior short-range ballistics of the 7.62 Soviet too. Popping off zombies at 300+ yards is just a waste of ammo. If they're that far, they're probably not a threat and have no idea you're there. Even 100 yards might be overkill, and ya just can't beat the AK at less than 100 yards. Good ammo availability post-SHTF too.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
If we show up to vote next year I think we won't need the head exploders. They'll just starve to death or migrate back to whence they came.

Aknazer

The 45 would be the better choice. I suppose if you have more 9mm ammo it would be a better choice but only because a gun without bullets is just an expensive club. Now if it was a fully auto 9 vs a semi auto .45 I can see the 9mm being better due to the amount of lead it could put down range.

WHy are we even discussing pistol calibers here? This is the apocalypse we're talking about, no more need to be polite about long gun carry. My pistol will get me to the nearest rifle or shotgun. Preferably both. Now, the 12 gauge lacks range & accuracy but it's a well-documented head-exploder, and especially with the slower "dawn of the dead" zombies you have more time to aim. I'd prefer the superior short-range ballistics of the 7.62 Soviet too. Popping off zombies at 300+ yards is just a waste of ammo. If they're that far, they're probably not a threat and have no idea you're there. Even 100 yards might be overkill, and ya just can't beat the AK at less than 100 yards. Good ammo availability post-SHTF too.

A pistol still has some uses. For example it can be faster to switch to a pistol than try to reload your rifle or shotgun with zombies bearing down on you. Or if you HAVE to explore a dark place it would be easier/quicker to sweep an area with a pistol in one hand and flashlight in another as opposed to having to point your rifle/shotgun with a light on it (turning the gun vs turning a hand with a flashlight). Also you apparently haven't seen the 2004 "Dawn of the Dead" where the zombies can actually Sprint. Now if you're dealing with the inferior and out-dated virus where the zombies slowly lumber towards you the caliber won't matter too much and they are so slow that you could probably even use a machete or sword at the base of the skull with a simple sidestep; but those zombies are long behind us.

Also if you have a good hold up site there's nothing wrong with killing zombies that far away and not moving towards you. By killing them now it also means that should a mob of zombies form it will be that much smaller. And it can be easier to deal with zombies before they turn into a mob chasing you. Though as you said, it can be dangerous to draw attention to your location. It would suck to kill a zombie not near you and not coming towards you, only to have the noise cause the unknown zombie in that dumpster next to you jump out and kill you.

In regards to ammo availability don't forget that the military uses 5.56 and as such I would recommend having at least one rifle that fires the round. Now I suppose you could just hope to find a military rifle as opposed to carrying your own, but I wouldn't want hope for that should I come across ammo. Even some LEAs use the round so it will be all over the place. I'm not saying that other rounds are bad, simply that the 5.56 is likely going to be the most common rifle round found. I'm not sure what the most common pistol caliber would be as so many different ones are used by different agencies. The 9mm is standard issue for military, but isn't the only one they use. What round local cops carry can vary between PDs. As the military and LEAs will be setting up various road blocks and what not, the ammo they use is likely to be the easiest found without trying to search buildings that may or may not have power and may or may not be zombie infested.