• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure how to word this, perhaps jealousy?

69johnny

I've mainly kept quiet here for a few years. I've read and read and read stories from not just the Tennessee forum but practically every state. I myself have had 2 bad experiences when open carrying. Actually, ONE bad experience when open carrying, and the other time I was NOT open carrying and someone still called the cops on me. But that's another story. Anyways, is it just me, or have any of you ever got the impression that a lot of are problems stems from people being jealous of us? I can't really put it into words. I can't really put my finger on it. But sometimes the comments I've received from people...from the stories I've read here... It's almost as if they cannot STAND the fact that we are carrying a gun? That either we are doing something they cannot do, or they don't have the b@lls to do ? Again, I wish I could find the words for what I am seeing on these people's faces. I have for a long time wondered just how many people have picked up the phone and called the police on us in an attempt to HURT US in some way? (By God I'll show him! Walking around here with a gun on his side like he's really something...etc) Am I alone in this thinking? If not, anyone here care to give an example of same said similar behavior?

HvyMtl

Fear, uneasiness - remember, most are educated to report firearms when they were in elementary school. So, they are uneasy and fearful, because those who are armed are either Cops or Robbers.

Sadly, the lack of proper information - they have the legal right to own and, with permit, carry firearms - never reaches most.

Badger Johnson

They get you coming and going. If you're a big strapping lad they expect you to use your size. If you're a tiny grandmother they say she had no right to have that weapon which could be taken away from her and used against someone.

If you're under 18 you don't deserve to live or exercise self-defense.

It's definitely about authority issues. A type A busybody wants to rule everyone they encounter and will even resort to lying ("He had a gun - oh yeah, he pointed it at me, yeah, that's the ticket"). Did you know that the want to take 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' off the DSM-5 list, presumably because so many people exhibit it, it's no longer uncommon?

danno 76

So far I have not had any negative encounters. I have found that I get more doors opened for me now, even by police officers. Some are curious, but have not been made aware if I ever frightened anyone. I carry concealed/open, depending on the mood of the day. :)

Fallschirjmäger

J'ever see crabs in a pot when one of them tries to crawl out to safety? They pull him back in, "Oh, no, you're not getting to safety, if I'm going in the pot, YOU're going in the pot with me!"

Some people are the same way, they can't stand to see anyone succeed where they cannot, no matter if it's class or financially.

CBLW

Love of Big Government...

I think it's mainly just plain stupidity in general.

The (liberal) media demonizes guns, especially the carrying of them. People are so stupid they eat it up and only trust the government to carry guns. It's ridiculous, "Oh he's carrying a gun, he's scary. I better call the police, I just can't handle all the freedom & liberty. Guns are bad, and that person carrying is bad. I want to rely upon the government to protect me at all times, I can't be trusted to protect myself!"

It's completely illogical and just a bunch of people acting like mindless SHEEP.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Read "Raging Against Self Defense" http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

It's old enough to be a classic, but that does not alter the truthfullness or the applicability of the essay.

The short answer is not that they are jealous of us, but that they are unhappy that we can control ourselves while they cannot do the same. Remember, gun contyrol is not about the gun but about control.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

I think it's akin to why -some- overweight folks 'hate' people who are able to be lean(er). Control and lack of same.

They don't seem to realize that the lean folks often just work harder at it and struggle just as much.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think it's akin to why -some- overweight folks 'hate' people who are able to be lean(er). Control and lack of same.

They don't seem to realize that the lean folks often just work harder at it and struggle just as much.

I know a number of overweight people - health issues or genetic related, but nevertheless they do NOT "hate" those leaner than they might be.

As a matter of fact, my lean and mean condition is a result of those aforementioned health and generic conditions.

papa bear

Johnny, i know what you mean by not being able to put it in words. i have had a couple of experiences recently, where the persons just said that," seeing the gun", just made them "uneasy"( one was one of my own sisters). i am apt to ask them why. mostly how does a holstered firearm carried by a rational person makes them uneasy? it is an attitude that i just don't understand. is it jealousy, fear, or just conditioning?
i usually get the answer (if i get one at all) is the very liberal one "i don't know, i just Feel that way". i could understand if the person said, that their whole family was wiped out. although, i would think that would make them want to carry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

it is an attitude that i just don't understand. is it jealousy, fear, or just conditioning?
i usually get the answer (if i get one at all) is the very liberal one "i don't know, i just Feel that way". i could understand if the person said, that their whole family was wiped out. although, i would think that would make them want to carry.

I'd suggest conditioning in the case of your sister.

For way too long the standard indoctrination is that GUNZ ARE BAD and only bad people haz gunz, except for the cops, of course, because they are the only ones professional enough and trained enough to carry them without causing mayhem. Most folks who are not involved with guns as some part of their life do not bother to think about the issue at all, and seem to be willing to go along with whatever message they hear the most. Folks that are not involved with guns as a part of their daily life (yes, I am talking about hunters here) seem to only be worried that their use of guns (which are usually shotguns and rifles, not handguns) might be impacted, and see the advocacy and "hard line" insistence on respect for all gun rigfhts as somehow threatening their use of guns. (Note I do not mention rights but merely use?)

Many folks who have been the victims of violence at the hands of someone who used a gun to commit that violence focus on the gun instead of the VCA*. That seems to be a part of the GUNZ ARE BAD message, as opposed to victims of drunk drivers focusing on the driver instead of the motor vehicle. But then if there was a CARZ ARE BAD metamessage going around how would we all get to the convenience store to buy our lottery tickets? See, we all need cars, but only a few of us understand that we need guns too. (BTW - try telling a cop they do not need their handgun. Even with everything else on their batbelt they will tell you that they in fact need their handgun.)

Some people, like Colin Goddard, who have been victims of VCAs were already indoctrinated to blame the instrument and not the person. Others, like Charl van Wyk (of the St. James Church massacre in South Africa) understand that the fault is with the person who offers violence and not the method used. They also realize that violence can only be countered by equal or greater violence. Vam Wyck became an advocate not only for the right to be armed but for churches to become proactive in setting up security programs using armed church members. You can ask your sister how many church massacres were prevented by anti-gun laws as opposed to how many were prevented by armed resistance. She might know the answer but will not be happy in having to tell it to you.

As cold and heartless as it may sound, what we may need to turn around the perception of the majority is a few more incidents of police either not responding to 911 calls or ariving too late to do anything but write up a report of how the victm died. Get folks to understand on a gut level that the cops cannot be there to protect them and that they need to be on at least an equal footing with the VCA in terms of armament and we can move from GUNZ ARE BAD to GUNS SAVE LIVES as the default thought. It seems to be the way folks respond - remember the rush on gun stores during the Rodney King riots in LA? or the rush in Connecticutt after the Petit family murders? or the -- well, I could go on and on and on. But those were all local reactions. It may take a national epidemic to mobilize the general population. Oh, wait! Isn't that pretty much what's happening right now? It's just not being publicized as being that epidemic.

My gun is like the spare tire in my car. I hope I never have to use it, and if I do hope that AAA will come out and do the dirty work for me. But if I cannot wait for AAA to get there I have the tools necessary to get me back on the road, and I know how to use them. Ask your sister if she does.

stay safe.

* VCA, for those that are not familiar with the term = Violent Criminal Actor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd suggest conditioning in the case of your sister.

For way too long the standard indoctrination is that GUNZ ARE BAD and only bad people haz gunz, except for the cops, of course, because they are the only ones professional enough and trained enough to carry them without causing mayhem. Most folks who are not involved with guns as some part of their life do not bother to think about the issue at all, and seem to be willing to go along with whatever message they hear the most. Folks that are not involved with guns as a part of their daily life (yes, I am talking about hunters here) seem to only be worried that their use of guns (which are usually shotguns and rifles, not handguns) might be impacted, and see the advocacy and "hard line" insistence on respect for all gun rigfhts as somehow threatening their use of guns. (Note I do not mention rights but merely use?)

Many folks who have been the victims of violence at the hands of someone who used a gun to commit that violence focus on the gun instead of the VCA*. That seems to be a part of the GUNZ ARE BAD message, as opposed to victims of drunk drivers focusing on the driver instead of the motor vehicle. But then if there was a CARZ ARE BAD metamessage going around how would we all get to the convenience store to buy our lottery tickets? See, we all need cars, but only a few of us understand that we need guns too. (BTW - try telling a cop they do not need their handgun. Even with everything else on their batbelt they will tell you that they in fact need their handgun.)

Some people, like Colin Goddard, who have been victims of VCAs were already indoctrinated to blame the instrument and not the person. Others, like Charl van Wyk (of the St. James Church massacre in South Africa) understand that the fault is with the person who offers violence and not the method used. They also realize that violence can only be countered by equal or greater violence. Vam Wyck became an advocate not only for the right to be armed but for churches to become proactive in setting up security programs using armed church members. You can ask your sister how many church massacres were prevented by anti-gun laws as opposed to how many were prevented by armed resistance. She might know the answer but will not be happy in having to tell it to you.

As cold and heartless as it may sound, what we may need to turn around the perception of the majority is a few more incidents of police either not responding to 911 calls or ariving too late to do anything but write up a report of how the victm died. Get folks to understand on a gut level that the cops cannot be there to protect them and that they need to be on at least an equal footing with the VCA in terms of armament and we can move from GUNZ ARE BAD to GUNS SAVE LIVES as the default thought. It seems to be the way folks respond - remember the rush on gun stores during the Rodney King riots in LA? or the rush in Connecticutt after the Petit family murders? or the -- well, I could go on and on and on. But those were all local reactions. It may take a national epidemic to mobilize the general population. Oh, wait! Isn't that pretty much what's happening right now? It's just not being publicized as being that epidemic.

My gun is like the spare tire in my car. I hope I never have to use it, and if I do hope that AAA will come out and do the dirty work for me. But if I cannot wait for AAA to get there I have the tools necessary to get me back on the road, and I know how to use them. Ask your sister if she does.

stay safe.

* VCA, for those that are not familiar with the term = Violent Criminal Actor.

Well said!

papa bear

well writing SKIDMARK, and congratulations on your adjudication in your favor. it is a shame that you had to go through the worry, cost and aggravation

one point i have to make is about my sister. she is a welfare dependent lazy Liberal, that thinks the government can do no wrong and that the "rich" are nothing but evil and should be taxed out of existence. thank god she doesn't vote. i use her as an example to my kids of what not to do. nothing i can say and do will change that. it only makes the tick dig in deeper.

the main thrust of my response was how Hoplophobes, aka; liberals, use the term how they FEEL about something. not anything to do with the facts or reality.

fortunately, they really are in the minority and we definitely should continue to educate by carrying open and having rational discussions. we may not be able to convince the mental zombies, but we may at least save the not yet mentally dead