Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newton Sheriff to use random warrantless house to house searches (and we'll like it!)

Newton Sheriff to use random warrantless house to house searches (and we'll like it!)

According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible ...following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked ..he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

Link: http://smargus.com/indiana-sheriff-i...rches-we-will/

Sooooooo UN-American! The ends justify the means. This sheriff is the type that should never be given ANY authority, not even dog catcher! Bravo to the Police Chief that said that such an act was unconscionable.

Proposed topic for thread: What will happen to gun - owners if this knucklehead sheriff actually does door to door searches?(I know it is hard, but try not to turn this thread into a sheriff bashing thread.)
    Last edited by Thundar; 05-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Kicking the door of a random house is identical to kicking the door of the wrong house. After an innocent home-owner is shot defending his life and property, and maybe a deputy or 2 also shot, this policy will be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    ... this policy will be abandoned.
    http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

If only that were true.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ched-SWAT-raid
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

RL troll?

Accomplished Advocate
    Kicking the door of a random house is identical to kicking the door of the wrong house. After an innocent home-owner is shot defending his life and property, and maybe a deputy or 2 also shot, this policy will be abandoned.
    foolish thinking. one or several homeowners being shot will simply solidify the statist thinking that people have no right to resist ANY entry. Officers being shot will only ramp up the violence to the effect of flash bangs being shot from a distance until everyone inside is disoriented to the point of unconciousness.

If you are legally armed and they kick in your door, then what?

The police are not legally in your house, but will kill YOU if THEY feel threatened...

What if they find weapons? Will they confiscate them for the duration of the search for officer safety?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible ...following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked ..he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

Link: http://smargus.com/indiana-sheriff-i...rches-we-will/

Sooooooo UN-American! The ends justify the means. This sheriff is the type that should never be given ANY authority, not even dog catcher! Bravo to the Police Chief that said that such an act was unconscionable.

Proposed topic for thread: What will happen to gun - owners if this knucklehead sheriff actually does door to door searches?(I know it is hard, but try not to turn this thread into a sheriff bashing thread.)
    This is........SCARY and........Unconstitutional, to say the least!!!! If I recall, wasn't there a story about a guy that was in his home, police came in (unannounced), and the guy (I believed) killed one guy and injured another?!? I believe this happened in PA and the guy didn't know that these "intruders" were police (no badges shown, or jackets with the word "POLICE" on the back of it, or no knock on the door saying "Open up, this is the police!").

I hope IN realizes the error of their ways and fix this fast!!!
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Just happened in Pima Arizona... All the facts are not out yet but looks like a two tour Marine was shot 60 times by SWAT during a wrong address raid... This is really sad...

"Like" us on Facebook at Buck's Gun Shop for regular specials and other savings.
    www.Bucks-Gun-Shop.com
    Earl@Bucks-Gun-Shop.com

The Constitution of the United States does not grant rights to citizens; it limits the powers of government to infringe on the rights which have already endowed upon us by our Creator. One of those is the right to keep and bear arms, to defend our persons and property in any manner we see fit.

I wonder if one could raise the defense in killing police who do this that you weren't resisting the entry, you were defending yourself and family from armed intruders. Because without the law stating that it is legal for them to enter your house then they are still intruding and you have the right to defend yourself. And this ruling doesn't make it legal for them to enter, it simply says you can't resist their entering. You didn't resist their entering but you still defended yourself once they were inside. Would also help if IN has a castle law.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 05-19-2011 at 06:21 PM.

I guess I would put up steel doors that they would have a very hard time getting through.
    That would give me time to call 911 so they could send a lot of ambulances for the people outside.
    If they want to act like GESTAPO, they would be treated like GESTAPO.
    Last edited by Butch00; 05-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Gun Shop View Post
    Just happened in Pima Arizona... All the facts are not out yet but looks like a two tour Marine was shot 60 times by SWAT during a wrong address raid... This is really sad...

It was a wrong address? I have been waiting to find out the whole story, including why the SWAT team was there, before commenting. I don't remember any of the articles I read mentioning a wrong address. Can you direct me to where that fact is mentioned? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    It was a wrong address? I have been waiting to find out the whole story, including why the SWAT team was there, before commenting. I don't remember any of the articles I read mentioning a wrong address. Can you direct me to where that fact is mentioned? Thanks.
    I didn't see it. I asked at the beginning of the thread and have yet to receive any answers. Seems like most people are just assuming based on him being a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch00 View Post
    I guess I would put up steel doors that they would have a very hard time getting through.
    That would give me time to call 911 so they could send a lot of ambulances for the people outside.
    If they want to act like GESTAPO, they would be treated like GESTAPO.
    They'll just come through the windows, barring that through the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I didn't see it. I asked at the beginning of the thread and have yet to receive any answers.

Well golly gee whiz!

Why didn't you say your GOOGLE was broken?

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Here in NC, I'd like to think our LEAs know better than to instigate this sort of foolishness.

Many LEOs use "civilian" ranges for their practice--right beside Citizens on any given morning--because many cities and counties don't have LE-only county-owned ranges, and I get the feeling that NC LEOs have a LOT more respect for the Citizens of NC because of that.

Unlike some of these JBT-laden states that seem to display utter disregard for the rights of their citizens, and are essentially taking a huge steaming dump on the Constitution, and fundamental human rights at every available opportunity. When will they learn?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Well golly gee whiz!

Why didn't you say your GOOGLE was broken?

It is not my responsibility to prove someone else's claim?

At the time of your question (in the other thread) there was only one post and no claims at all. Just quotes and links and a comment.

So if you want answers you are in the same boat as everyone else. Armed with the same information at your disposal that we are privy to.

Is it our responsibility to do your homework and think for you? If so I respectfully decline.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 05-20-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    If this sort of thing really happens... I guarantee you that there will be ambushes waiting in houses of people who are not doing drugs, but who are raring for a fight with those they deem to be tyrants and despots. We will see a Lexington and Concord soon if these types of actions are increased and courts come out in support of them. I guarantee we're going to see a major shootout with cops and the cops will be on the losing end... then... it may very well spiral out of control. These are scary times people... don't think full on violent revolt cannot happen here... because it can... and if this escalates.... it will.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    At the time of your question (in the other thread) there was only one post and no claims at all. Just quotes and links and a comment.

So if you want answers you are in the same boat as everyone else. Armed with the same information at your disposal that we are privy to.

Is it our responsibility to do your homework and think for you? If so I respectfully decline.

The claim was that it was a botched raid. The only info available was that a SWAT team raided a house and shot a man pointing a gun at them. I'd hardly call that botched.

The claim was that it was a botched raid. The only info available was that a SWAT team raided a house and shot a man pointing a gun at them. I'd hardly call that botched.
    Negligent Discharge by deputy followed by panicked fire by deputies

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Negligent Discharge by deputy followed by panicked fire by deputies
    This is another incident where overwhelming force seems to have been used unnecessarily. How can the firing of 71 rounds be justified even if there had been provocation, which according to the reports, was absent? It was determined that the Marine did not fire his weapon -- where was the justification for such an (IMO) extreme response? Are not the police supposed to be highly trained and professional? Is there ANY reasonable rationale for multiple officers to have fired 71 times?

Banned
    I am still withholding judgment, however it bears pointing out that one need not fire to provoke.

It is possible that folks suffer from the no-you-drop-it syndrome, caused by excessive viewing of TV action shows in which two people have guns pointed at each other, yelling, "No, you drop it!" at each other. Somehow, we buy into the myth that the pointing of the weapon does not constitute a deadly threat, in and of itself. Both the gunman in the scenario are a trigger pull away from dead--with no further warning and no time to react.

Absent details, I am not willing to conclude that the homeowner was pointing his weapon at the officers. But neither am I willing to conclude that the first shot was negligent or that the other shots were out of panic.

It is suspicious that the department is being so closed-mouthed about the incident. There is no reason not to release details about the warrant and the probable cause that the judge must have ruled on. But, again, I will not be taking the gold home in this Olympic conclusion-jumping contest.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. As anyone can clearly read you specifically asked about a wrong address. And if those two facts are all that you glean from countless sources... Well then it is of little wonder why you are baffled. Why you cry out for us to tell you what happened. Therefore I will begrudgingly answer your questions.

Do you know why SWAT was there? Was it the correct address?
    Yes, I know why SWAT was there. According the police it was the correct address.

Hope this helps.

Happy Friday!

Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Gun Shop View Post

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Another poster has reported that the police say it was the right address.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    This is another incident where overwhelming force seems to have been used unnecessarily. How can the firing of 71 rounds be justified even if there had been provocation, which according to the reports, was absent? It was determined that the Marine did not fire his weapon -- where was the justification for such an (IMO) extreme response? Are not the police supposed to be highly trained and professional? Is there ANY reasonable rationale for multiple officers to have fired 71 times?
    It seems to me that the SWAT team showed up ready to do some shooting, and at the first opportunity, did just that. I wonder how many had trouble sleeping after aerating this guy?

According to recent MIAC reports, this raid was a total success. The DHS has stated in several reports and training memos distributed to local LEAs that returning vets and gun owners are currently the biggest threat to our nation...

One dead decorated vet. Massive coverup of police misconduct. Judges going along with the scam. Sounds like the sort of "successful operation" that would make BATFE and DHS proud...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast