• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Former Marine killed in botched SWAT raid

HandyHamlet

SWAT raid fatal drama is revealed in 911 call

Fernanda Echavarri Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:00 pm

The wife of a Tucson man killed in a Pima County SWAT raid May 5 pleaded for five minutes with 911 dispatchers to send an ambulance for her mortally wounded husband, audio records show.

Jose Guerena, 26, a former Marine, was sleeping after the graveyard shift at Asarco Mission mine about 9:30 a.m. when his wife woke him saying she heard noises outside and a man was at their window. Guerena told his wife to hide in a closet with their 4-year-old son, his wife has said. He grabbed an AR-15 rifle and moments later was slumped in the kitchen, mortally wounded from a hail of gunfire.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_b3177522-baa0-5c9e-9f0d-d3d7da6e9e4b.html

Former Marine killed by SWAT was acting in defense, family says

Reporter: Joel Waldman
Web Producer: Layla Tang

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - New details are emerging about Jose Guerena, the man killed last Thursday in a SWAT incident at his Tucson home. He was gunned down by SWAT members while his wife and young child hid in a closet.
http://www.kgun9.com/story/14621212/marine-killed-by-swat-was-acting-in-defense-says-family

Raw video: wife of suspect killed in SWAT raid speaks out

Video by: Jim Shields, KGUN9 Photojournalist
Notes by: Forrest Carr

This week, KGUN9 News reporter Joel Waldman interviewed Vanessa Guerena about the shooting of her husband Jose, who died last week when a SWAT team tried to serve a search warrant at their Tucson home. She stated that neither she nor her husband knew that the people breaking into her home were deputies. She said that her husband, who pointed a rifle at deputies, was only trying to defend himself. Guerena never got off a shot. But SWAT team members fired a total of at least 71 rounds, leaving the home riddled with holes. Ms. Guerena was hiding in a closet at the time with one of the couple's children. Neither was hurt.
http://www.kgun9.com/story/14644188...t-narcotics-related-material-that-can-be-drug

SWAT team fired 71 shots in raid

Fernanda Echavarri Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:00 am

The Pima County Regional SWAT team fired 71 shots in seven seconds at a Tucson man they say pointed a gun at officers serving a search warrant at his home.

Jose Guerena, 26, a former Marine who served in Iraq twice, was holding an AR-15 rifle when he was killed, but he never fired a shot, the Sheriff's Department said Monday after initially saying he had fired on officers during last week's raid.
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_d7d979d4-f4fb-5603-af76-0bef206f8301.html

Freedom First

::Shakes head::

Research the reasons why having a Standing Army living among the People was rejected by the Framers and you will see why this man died.

HandyHamlet

SWAT entry questioned in Marine's death
Reporter: Joel Waldman
Posted: May 13, 2011 7:34 PM
Lt. Michael O'Connor says SWAT says it never wants to be mistaken for other people, "We had our large armored vehicle there with the markings on it. It also has lights and sirens. It was going. So we do everything we can to try to portray the image that we're law enforcement, we're not home invaders."

[edit for length]

But, Guerena's wife, Vanessa, who hid in the closet with her youngest son while 71 rounds were fired her husband's direction, said she heard nothing. At any point did you hear them yell, ‘police" or ‘SWAT'?" KGUN9 asked. "No, no!" answered Guerena.

A neighbor who heard the shooting corroborates the wife's account, "The only sirens I heard out here were like maybe 20-30 minutes into the entire ordeal," said David Watson.

Watson is very familiar with gunfire and stressful situations; he's a Vietnam combat veteran, "I want to make this as clear as possible: you only heard the announcements after you heard the gunfire?" asked KGUN9 reporter Joel Waldman. Watson quickly answered, "Yes!"

http://www.kgun9.com/story/14644269/swat-entry-questioned-in-marines-death#

coolusername2007

Suspect "crouched in a dark hallway", 71 rounds, bullets all over the side of his house, and bullets in neighboring houses!

Question: how many rounds did the homeowner take?

Question: assuming all the rounds from SWAT are pointing down at the homeowner, how many rounds ricocheted off the concrete slab?

coolusername2007

Saw the video from the officers lawyer, Michael Storie. He is saying they entered the house, shot the homeowner, then apparently retreated and needed to use robots to clear the house? This after the department made a statement saying they thought he was home alone and that they thought his wife and sons were off to school.

Sounds like a lot of CYA to me. I hope they have actual evidence to cover their explanations, like video of the shootout from a helmet cam or something.

Search results found "assault rifles, handguns and body armor." A: Big deal, not illegal! B: who doesn't have those items?

coolusername2007

MKEgal

coolusername2007 said:
71 shots and 60 hits...talk about excessive.
The whole concept of a SWAT team seems excessive to me.
I remember the saw about a little boy with a hammer...

But on the "bright side", 60/71 is a heluva lot higher hit % than most cop-involved shootings.

Wonder how (or if) they're going to try to get this to ride the coattails of the ILSC ruling on not being allowed to resist illegal entry? :mad:
Good for the neighbor guy for speaking up about them not IDing themselves.
As for their truck being out front, big deal. Nobody's required to look outside.

sudden valley gunner

I fear with recent court rulings we are going to see these incidents go on the rise, what little law kept the police at bay has been steadily eroded. So much for the law of the land suppose to protect the people of the land from the government.

rscottie

There are very very few instances when Law Enforcement is justified in bringing "troops" to serve a search warrant.

If they are afraid the suspect may shoot at them, all the more reason to set a perimeter and then ask the person to come out with their hands up.

The problem is that the attitude has shifted from "Innocent until Proven Guilty" to "Guilty simply because someone is charged or even just suspected".

There are many that will trod out the line that they have to do no knock warrants because the suspect will destroy evidence. Hogwash, they need evidence to justify the warrant in the first place.

We must demand that our 4th Amendment Rights are not trampled.

zack991

I hope every singe officer involved with the actual shooting get the damn needle.So after the police brutally gunned down a Marine, home-invasion style, and let him bleed in excruciating pain for 75 minutes while denying medical care until he eventually bleed to death, the cops were going to other houses to see if medical care was needed for them? While watching this guy bleed to death instead of getting him help? Yet the police have refused to say why they had a warrant to search the home to begin with. I hope she drains their PD for every bloody cent it has.

Guerena: "I wasn't gonna go, but I did. ... I wasn't even closing the door, when I start listening to those, like, a lot of shots, a bunch of them. When that stops, I left my kid in there... I went out, and I saw lots of men at the window, a bunch of them. They were saying, 'We're the SWAT team."

Guerena: "The last thing I thought I was gonna see was Jose on the floor with all this blood and stuff. And he was just saying, 'Uh, uh.' And I couldn't help him. So I called the 911 to have the ambulance. And they told me they were on their way."

Waldman: "At any point, did you hear them yell 'police' or 'SWAT?'"

Guerena: "No."

Waldman: "At any point, did you hear sirens outside?"

Guerena: "No."

Guerena: "When I went out, five or ten minutes, I don't know how long, until my kid went outside. When he saw this, when he saw all this police outside, the only thing he asked me, was, 'Mom, my dad was a bad guy? They killed my dad?'"

Guerena: "By that moment, I was like, they're gonna take care of him, they're gonna take him to the hospital. And I was like calm at that point. But after two or three hours they told me, 'I'm sorry, but your husband passed away."

Waldman: "Were you able to talk to Jose at all? Was he responding in any way before you left?"

Guerena: "He never talked to me. The last words that he told me were, 'Vanny, go into the closet. That's it. If I wouldn't listen to him, Oh, My God. I would have been killed too... They would have killed me too, and my kid."

Waldman: "As far as you know, did Jose have anything to do with drugs?"

Guerena: "Oh, no, you can check, they can check, everything... They didn't get anything at the house. They stole stuff, like my ring, his wallet, stuff like you can't even imagine, personal stuff."

Waldman: "What do you want to know?"

Guerena: "Why? Why? Why did they do this to him? Justice. I want justice. I was justice for my kid."

Last edited:

coolusername2007

I hope every singe officer involved with the actual shooting get the damn needle.So after the police brutally gunned down a Marine, home-invasion style, and let him bleed in excruciating pain for 75 minutes while denying medical care until he eventually bleed to death, the cops were going to other houses to see if medical care was needed for them? While watching this guy bleed to death instead of getting him help? Yet the police have refused to say why they had a warrant to search the home to begin with. I hope she drains their PD for every bloody cent it has.

I find it hard to believe he lived for 75 minutes with 60 hits.

Thundar

SWAT negligent discharge led to SWAT panicked shooting

.... the department now says it was a misfire by one of the deputies that caused this deadly group panic inside a home...

...A deputy's bullet struck the side of the doorway, causing chips of wood to fall on his shield. That prompted some members of the team to think the deputy had been shot, [PCSD spokesman Michael] O'Connor said.

Link: http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/16/marine-survives-two-tours-in-i

This sort of thing really makes me sick. The obsfucation and lies have begun in earnest.

Last edited:

coolusername2007

The war on drugs (now literally a war on Americans) killed this Marine.

The militarization of local law enforcement killed this Marine.

Dumb ass government employees who can't keep their finger off the trigger killed this Marine.

America, its long past time we start rethinking all this s%!t.

Last edited: