• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL Question

mustangkiller

I recently sent in my app and got in just before the deadline for no more out of state Lic .holders. I was wondering if any other recent applicants could tell me what kind of time line I'm looking at. Some people say 30, 45 or 60 days. I know it dependes on how busy the office is at any given moment but what are you guy seeing lately?

colormered

Clarification is in order.....

I recently sent in my app and got in just before the deadline for no more out of state Lic .holders. ...

Actually the deadline referred to the requirement that an out-of-state applicant first have a permit from his/her state of residence, if that state recognized the Utah permit, NOT that there were to be no more out of state permits issued.

utbagpiper

Banned
Actually the deadline referred to the requirement that an out-of-state applicant first have a permit from his/her state of residence, if that state recognized the Utah permit, NOT that there were to be no more out of state permits issued.

Exactly. And even if the OP beat the deadline for his permit this time, he will be required to submit a copy of his home-State permit before he can renew in 5 years (if his home State recognizes the Utah permit). But assuming he has a home State permit Utah is quite happy to issue him a Utah permit.

Charles

PavePusher

Does anyone know how this works for Vermont "residents"?

I've been in the USAF for over 20 years, enlisted from Vermont, military Home of Record still Vermont, registered to vote, drivers licence and pay taxes (well, not really, military deal on taxes in state law). I have a New Hampshire non-res Licence, Utah non-res permit and am currently stationed in Arizona with an Arizona permit. When my Utah permit is due for renewal next year, what will I need to provide for documentation?

rpyne

Does anyone know how this works for Vermont "residents"?

I've been in the USAF for over 20 years, enlisted from Vermont, military Home of Record still Vermont, registered to vote, drivers licence and pay taxes (well, not really, military deal on taxes in state law). I have a New Hampshire non-res Licence, Utah non-res permit and am currently stationed in Arizona with an Arizona permit. When my Utah permit is due for renewal next year, what will I need to provide for documentation?

It only applies to states that recognize the Utah permit or have reciprocity with Utah. Since Vermont has no permit, you shouldn't need to provide anything if you have a Vermont address. If you are still in Arizona, just include a copy of your Arizona permit.

UC 53-5-704(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and
(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
(b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10 years.
(c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.

PavePusher

It only applies to states that recognize the Utah permit or have reciprocity with Utah. Since Vermont has no permit, you shouldn't need to provide anything if you have a Vermont address. If you are still in Arizona, just include a copy of your Arizona permit.

Thanks!

scouser

when does wait time start

I took the class for the Utah non-resident permit several months ago, but I sat on the application for a while before getting around to sending it in. All I'm wondering is when does the 60 day wait start? Does it start from when I can prove USPS delivered the application, or does it start from when they cash my check, or is there another date they count the 60 days from? It's no big deal, I have my VA permit and don't 'need' my Utah permit (it's value for me is for its acceptance in Georgia & Alabama, and have no trips planned there for the next 6 months) for the foreseeable future. Basically I'm just curious as to when to start counting from, and if mine takes 70 days for some unknown reason it's not going to cause me any hardship nor concern. When I mailed in my application I included a photocopy of my VA resident permit even though I mailed it before the new law came into effect.

Just to make it clear, it doesn't bother me when the 60 day wait starts, or even if BCI take a little longer (not that I expect it to at all), I'm just curious to know when it does start.

rpyne

I took the class for the Utah non-resident permit several months ago, but I sat on the application for a while before getting around to sending it in. All I'm wondering is when does the 60 day wait start? Does it start from when I can prove USPS delivered the application, or does it start from when they cash my check, or is there another date they count the 60 days from? It's no big deal, I have my VA permit and don't 'need' my Utah permit (it's value for me is for its acceptance in Georgia & Alabama, and have no trips planned there for the next 6 months) for the foreseeable future. Basically I'm just curious as to when to start counting from, and if mine takes 70 days for some unknown reason it's not going to cause me any hardship nor concern. When I mailed in my application I included a photocopy of my VA resident permit even though I mailed it before the new law came into effect.

Just to make it clear, it doesn't bother me when the 60 day wait starts, or even if BCI take a little longer (not that I expect it to at all), I'm just curious to know when it does start.

In general, they say it starts when they cash your check.