Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CADL v. MOC hearing - 5/25@14:30

CADL v. MOC hearing - 5/25@14:30

The subject of the hearing is CADL's motion for summary disposition.

Anyone going?

I plan to get the afternoon off and be there.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I plan on it.

Go here to read MOC, Inc's. response/brief. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=135653
    Last edited by Venator; 05-19-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I'm tenatively planning on being there. If i can sneak away...

So far it's looking good. I've got some irons in the fire that may interfere but I'm trying to keep the time open.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Nope, got to work, no time off for the wicked !

The tax collector is waiting to get paid, have to pay the CADL tax of Battle Creek, school tax, etc...etc...
    Last edited by mastiff69; 05-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Banned

Thumbs up

Best of luck.

Wow... that was perhaps the best summarization of our position that I have ever read. I must admit, when I began reading it I thought the individual pieces were always there... the real work was in putting those pieces into a cogent argument. I'm not an attorney so perhaps I'm impressed with what one would expect from legal representation, but the response was, in my opinion, much, much better than I imagined it could be.

I'm going to see what I can do to be there...
    Last edited by DrTodd; 05-19-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

silly but serious question

Having never been to one of these what is the proper dress code for those of us in the peanut gallery? Slacks and a polo shirt? Shirt & tie? Suit?

I don't want to show up either grossly under or over dressed.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Banned
    Metallica shirt, baggy shorts, low, sandals, tube socks, mismatched, suspenders, gold chain with grille, blue hair, makeup, piercings, and a facial tattoo. Oh yeah, ipod with headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Having never been to one of these what is the proper dress code for those of us in the peanut gallery? Slacks and a polo shirt? Shirt & tie? Suit?

Bronson

You can never be over dressed for court... unless you're in a tux.

Slacks and a button down shirt would probably be fine. (polo if that is more comfortable to you.. ) I will try to wear a shirt and tie if I can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Metallica shirt, baggy shorts, low, sandals, tube socks, mismatched, suspenders, gold chain with grille, blue hair, makeup, piercings, and a facial tattoo. Oh yeah, ipod with headphones.
    How'd that work out for you when you went to court?

Bronson

I'd like to go, but I can't afford gas unless the weather permits me to ride my motorcycle.

Having never been to one of these what is the proper dress code for those of us in the peanut gallery?
    Go to Google Images. Search "people of Walmart". Do NOT dress like what you see.

Seriously, your dress is whatever you feel would reflect well on yourself and our group. Personally, if I'm just in the gallery (not a directly involved party) my minimum would be *nice* jeans (no holes, not too faded, etc.) and a collared shirt (polo or button down).

As much, if not more, of importance is your manners in court, whether you are a party or a spectator. Be quiet. Do not react, positively or negatively, to what goes on in court. If you're a spectator, briefly cracking a *little* smile or frown to your friends is ok, but keep it to no more than that.

During the first hearing for CADL vs MOC, we had a big crowd of gun rights supporters, and there were a couple of instances of folks reacting audibly. Let's keep our discipline in court and avoid that.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Bronson
    Last time, I showed up Business Casual (Slacks and Dress Shirt). A polo shirt should be fine, unless you think you will be called to the Witness Stand (like Venator was last time).

I am working to make sure I can be there. If I cannot make it, take it to them!!!

Banned
    How'd that work out for you when you went to court?

Bronson
    Aww come-on.

Wont make it this time, I am committed (or I should be) to other stuff!
    Last edited by Onnie; 05-20-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Will there be meeting and eating afterwards?

Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    I plan on it.

Go here to read MOC, Inc's. response/brief. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=135653
    Can you post what it says as when I follow the site it says I need to log in to view the page.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Can you post what it says as when I follow the site it says I need to log in to view the page.
    Try this. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/att...8&d=1305752233
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Hey, that's how I dress when I OC!!
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Go to Google Images. Search "people of Walmart". Do NOT dress like what you see.

Seriously, your dress is whatever you feel would reflect well on yourself and our group. Personally, if I'm just in the gallery (not a directly involved party) my minimum would be *nice* jeans (no holes, not too faded, etc.) and a collared shirt (polo or button down).

As much, if not more, of importance is your manners in court, whether you are a party or a spectator. Be quiet. Do not react, positively or negatively, to what goes on in court. If you're a spectator, briefly cracking a *little* smile or frown to your friends is ok, but keep it to no more than that.

During the first hearing for CADL vs MOC, we had a big crowd of gun rights supporters, and there were a couple of instances of folks reacting audibly. Let's keep our discipline in court and avoid that.
    What? I can't shake my head in disgust???
    Big Gay Al

Unfortunately, that time of the day is too late for me. I have to pick my boys up from school at 3:00PM and that school is in Leslie. So unless the lawyers can do their stuff in 20 seconds, and if the judge can reach a fair and CORRECT decision in less than a minute, then I could go. But I seriously doubt it will be that fast.

In any event, Good Luck to us all on that day. Let's pray the judge has the good judicial sense to see what is right, and what is wrong.
    Big Gay Al

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Bronson
    as a non-participant in the proceedings you're dress is really irrelevant and i'm sure if you wear what you OC in you'll be fine
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    That link still requires registration. I'd be willing to post the docs, if that is ok with the "owners".
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast