Thread: Sent In My VA CCHP Renewal Application Today Via USPS

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Sent In My VA CHP Renewal Application Today Via USPS

Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent in my VA CHP Renewal Application today via USPS after following all of the instructions from everyone on the site. However, due to medical and employment issues, I was unable to send in my application within the suggested 90 days prior to my current VA CHP expiring (6-12-2011), which leads me to my question.........if I do not have my new VA CHP before my current VA CHP expires, will I be able to legally CC in VA (or any of the other reciprical states of PA) if I also have a current PA LTCF? Just curious.

I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can provide. Thanks in advance and I would like to apologize in advance if this information has already been posted.
    Last edited by Smurfologist; 05-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Thumbs down

Who cares? This an OC forum.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfologist View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent in my VA CCHP Renewal Application today via USPS after following all of the instructions from everyone on the site. However, due to medical and employment issues, I was unable to send in my application within the suggested 90 days prior to my current VA CCHP expiring (6-12-2011), which leads me to my question.........if I do not have my new VA CCHP before my current VA CCHP expires, will I be able to legally CC in VA (or any of the other reciprocal states of PA) if I also have a current PA LTCF? Just curious.

I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can provide. Thanks in advance and I would like to apologize in advance if this information has already been posted.
    IANAL but I would say as VA has an reciprocity agreement with PA as long as your PA CCP is valid you can still cc in VA until you get your VA CHP renewal. As far as reciprocal states of PA I don't know, but as long as PA permit is valid I would say you should.

An Wylde while you may not care for personal reasons some people who OC still need to CC at times. For one the OP cares!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Hahhaha

besides.. what is a CCHP?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Nice response. Why don't you just call him a damn Yankee and tell us how the South will rise again to rebel against the War of Northern Aggression.

To the OP - if your Va. CHP expires, and you have not received the renewal, you may still carry concealed here in Va under your valid Pa. LTCF.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Nice response. Why don't you just call him a damn Yankee and tell us how the South will rise again to rebel against the War of Northern Aggression.
    Conceal Carry is OT for this forum.

Your response violates the code of conduct. Why pick a fight?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

+1 (He's got the wrong forum)

............--Moderator Statement--
    He has the right forum - CC questions are not forbidden here.
    many of us who claim to OC 24/7 actually have a need for a permit sometimes.

What is out of line are the rude, harsh statements to a brother in arms.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    +1 (He's got the wrong forum)
    Actually, I have the right forum, just the wrong topic for some people (apparently).

I meant no disrespect to anyone, especially Ed and Wylde007. However, this is the ONLY forum that I have an interest in and I did not think it would be a big deal to ask questions about CC even though this is an OC forum. If anyone has taken the time to look at any of my other postings, I have asked many questions about many things because I am not a person that believes he knows everything pertaining to gun laws (OC or CC), although, I try my best to keep up with all of them (even case laws). And, we all know how someone can be OCing or CCing........next thing they know, they are in a situation that they did not intend to be in, which is why I asked the question to begin with.

I respect everyone who post on this site. Why? Because, I owe everything to them for knowing what little I do know about gun laws, OCing and CCing. Someday, I hope to meet some of you out there to thank you all for your guidance and help with keeping me out of jail and making me be cognizant of things in the "real" world when I do OC or CC. I also would thank all of you for being pioneers for 2A rights in VA and in the rest of the country. Oh, and thanks for the information pertaining to my post!

By the way, Ed, I will make sure I change my post to reflect "CHP" instead of "CCHP" (I don't know what I was thinking). Have a great day!!
    Last edited by Smurfologist; 05-19-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Smurfologist please don't take to much offense. I can tell you I'm not offended by your topic and it seems to be perfectly acceptable even in light of a forum focused on open carry. It is an unfortunate fact that those who wish to carry discreetly, even on occasion must go through extra hassle to carry in that manner. You aren't pushing for perk-for-permittees and aren't criticizing open carriers so don't take the hostility by some as a widespread manner of thought. Thanks for your other contributions. Like you I have learned much here and from the ladies and gents that chat here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Smurfologist please don't take to much offense. I can tell you I'm not offended by your topic and it seems to be perfectly acceptable even in light of a forum focused on open carry. It is an unfortunate fact that those who wish to carry discreetly, even on occasion must go through extra hassle to carry in that manner. You aren't pushing for perk-for-permittees and aren't criticizing open carriers so don't take the hostility by some as a widespread manner of thought. Thanks for your other contributions. Like you I have learned much here and from the ladies and gents that chat here.
    No offense was taken. I OC every opportunity I get (believe me)!! This site got me over my nervousness the first time I did so :-}

I was born is a state (and city) where carry of any kind is frowned upon (I won't say it's against the law since there are ways that you can legally carry in IL, but not like you can in VA). So, believe me when I say, I am passionate about OCing. However, it may be cold outside, or I may drop my daughter off at school, or I might go to some restaurants that are not posted, but where if I am with my family, I might be asked to leave (I usually go to Champps in Reston where I don't have to worry about this), etc.

I am not a political person, except when it comes to 2A rights. Everyone is doing their part to help keep our 2A rights alive. There may be some disagreements on how it should be (or is) done, but, our part is being done, nonetheless :-} So, I don't get offended.......I get another person's point of view :-} Thank you for accepting mine. Have a great day!

I care. I was one of the earlier people here and one of the things that attracted me was that the site seemed full of gentlemen. Customs rapidly developed. Saying "so what" instead of simply reminding someone they are OT is a pretty strong initial response even if the question bothered you THAT much.

Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    I care. I was one of the earlier people here and one of the things that attracted me was that the site seemed full of gentlemen. Customs rapidly developed. Saying "so what" instead of simply reminding someone they are OT is a pretty strong initial response even if the question bothered you THAT much.
    I have to be honest......I don't even know what "OT" means. I was thinking it was something bad (which, I have apologized).

I am ok with Wylde007 pointing this out to me. I don't agree with it, but this is America......so, I am ok with it. I am quite familiar with Wylde007 and he has helped me understand things in some of my other post.

I just hope my post will be forgiven (by Wylde007) just this one time because I feel that it was important to me and other people that may have had the same question. If not, it's ok (since this is America and he has the right not to)........

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfologist View Post
    I have to be honest......I don't even know what "OT" means. I was thinking it was something bad (which, I have apologized).

I am ok with Wylde007 pointing this out to me. I don't agree with it, but this is America......so, I am ok with it. I am quite familiar with Wylde007 and he has helped me understand things in some of my other post.

I just hope my post will be forgiven (by Wylde007) just this one time because I feel that it was important to me and other people that may have had the same question. If not, it's ok (since this is America and he has the right not to)........
    Off Topic = OT

I don't understand the purpose of the vitriolic response you received. It seemed like a fair question asked in a reasonable way. There are less rude ways of expressing ones opinion. Especially since this board discusses responses to laws, and many times CHP issues have been discussed especially in regards to renewal, it has been a common topic.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Centurion
    Does Va require that it's residents have a VA permit? IF it does then the PA permit would not be valid IN VA for this person---- Just asking to make sure if it is an issue that it doesn't get missed and cause a problem!

..............--Moderator General Statement--
    The OP has the right forum - we have no rule disallowing any and all CC/permit questions.
    Many of us that try to OC 24/7 occasionally benefit from having a permit - it is all about having the choice.

I realize that most non-OC questions should normally go in the General Forum, but this is specifically about Va and the circumstances here. I will leave it where it is.

What I find most unsatisfactory is the harsh, rude criticism of the OP, a brother in arms.
    He deserves better and our conduct should be above reproach - I hope he will accept my apology for the group.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Does Va require that it's residents have a VA permit? IF it does then the PA permit would not be valid IN VA for this person---- Just asking to make sure if it is an issue that it doesn't get missed and cause a problem!
    This is a good question. IANAL but it doesn't seem like there is a residency requirement on VA permits, other than there is a distinction between a resident and non-resident permit. If your permit is valid in PA than via state police agreement it is also valid here.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Geez... is something in the water lately? The Mod's are having to work overtime the last few days....

The moderators can correct me if I am wrong, but I actually believe I was one of the first 10 members.... maybe earlier than that! Thank you, Moderator, for making clear that the rude comment was unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post

besides.. what is a CCHP?
    I believe it's a permit to carry a Makarov, or some other Soviet pistol.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Does Va require that it's residents have a VA permit?
    No, they don't.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Smile

Sorry.

Call me overzealous. Enjoy Virginia and all that she has to offer.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The moderators can correct me if I am wrong, but I actually believe I was one of the first 10 members.... maybe earlier than that!
    Never pay much attention to join dates unless some one is a newbie - like to make them feel welcome - so it was a bit unusual for me to compare our register/join dates. I did recall that you were one of the earlier members -those of us "long in tooth" around these parts.

You first registered 6/29/06 and I did my thing 5/21/06 - wonder how many actual registered users existed at that time other than Mike and John and a core group of others - don't know a way to find out other than if John might have such records. I'm not sure where I 1st heard of OCDO. Maybe it was through the grapevine on VCDL.

Darn you can find most anything on the internet at warp speed. OCDO was put together and launched in 2004, but can find no reference to the numbers of members/registrants during that year.
    http://tinyurl.com/3wpn9qg

Back OT - looks like the OP is good to go with his Pa. permit. Maybe the Clerk's office will expedite the processing, though they are under no obligation to do so.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I don't know how busy other Clerk's offices are, but Virginia Beach just did a 3 week turn for mine.
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Founder's Club Member
    Non-Virginia related, but I just renewed my Arizona non-resident CCW permit and there was a a 1 week turnaround time including the time for the application to be sent to them and for the new permit to be received at my house. That's even better than the initial 2 week turnaround.