• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

been arrested? be prepared for a purchase delay!

MKEgal

carry for myself said:
a U-PIN enables them to keep your file on record, and recall it instantly with all previous purchases ect. and usually it will push it right through without delays
I'm of 2 minds on this...
Yes it'd be nice to have them not have to repeat (waste money & time on) the research to prove once again that someone isn't prohibited.

It'd also be nice if the DOJ & dealer would follow the law that says the purchase can't be delayed more than 3 days (and that only for a "felony charge with no recorded disposition").

BUT... Letting them keep a record of all the property I've purchased? :shocker:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I'm of 2 minds on this...
Yes it'd be nice to have them not have to repeat (waste money & time on) the research to prove once again that someone isn't prohibited.

It'd also be nice if the DOJ & dealer would follow the law that says the purchase can't be delayed more than 3 days (and that only for a "felony charge with no recorded disposition").

BUT... Letting them keep a record of all the property I've purchased? :shocker:

All you can do, is stop buying new guns from dealers..buy used weapons..Cash sale and no paper work..

TangoDown

This hapend to me not a wile ago at Gander. I bought a used 870 for HD, and they wouldnt give me my firearm for 5 days, they kept saying there were "delays" in the background check and to check back tomorow. I honistly think the person at Gander was intencionaly withholding my firearm for whatever reasuns but idk.

-Tango

MKEgal

Glock34 said:
All you can do, is stop buying new guns from dealers..buy used weapons. Cash sale and no paper work.
For my first 2, I didn't have a network to ask to find the bang toy I wanted.

This time, I wasn't willing to wait for word to circulate & the right pistol to show up, so I went to GunBroker, which requires shipping to an FFL (unless I can find a seller here in state).

If I plan another purchase, I'll put word out, maybe put a discrete "looking for another G17 - NOT a gen4" line in my sig for a while. But really, I think I have enough for now.
Am vaguely considering a rifle of some sort, but haven't given it much thought.

Tango - if that happens again, call Mary at the phone # GlockmeisterG21 gave (800-262-4867). She can tell you if there really is a delay, and what the problem seems to be, and if there isn't really a problem she can bring down a heap of hurt on them. Might be effective to have it in your cell, to stand in front of the guy at the store while you call.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Nutzack, as I understand it the UPIN is for those individuals who get repeatedly denied not delayed. .

I think you got that backwards, a NICS denial is a permanent thing and means you are not legal to own any firearms.

I am repeatedly delayed for several weeks at a time. For this reason I called the NICS hotline and I was told a UPIN will fix that, just call and they will send out the forms, and you need to go to your local PD and get fingerprint cards done, and send those with the completed forms. I think I will request my forms in the A.M. and get that done now so if something pops up on the dealer shelves that I just got to have, I will not be discouraged from buying due to the long waits I am forced to endure.

This is the very reason I do not go to gun shows, most of the dealers are from out of my area, and when my approval does go through, I would then need to drive several hours to pick up my purchase, or pay the $75 transfer fee that my closest dealers demand for transfers. This would negate any savings which I may have realized, and it causes undue BS on my end.

The 48 hour WI handgun wait period starts after approval is received from NICS, not after initial contact.