• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed By St. Joe PD

Fallschirjmäger

In the second video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTCGRzS2gW0 ...Officer Tunn claims to be able to arrest me on Obstruction (of his duties as a peace officer, I assume) as per the recommendation of his supervisor. This is assuming that the officer is providing a bona fide duty while investigating a situation involving a crime.

I was told this once, not all that long ago. "Officer, I'm very concerned about not obstructing you, I'll just step over way there out of your way and not say a word until you've finished your investigation. If you'd be kind enough to let me know when you're done, I appreciate it though."
It was Not appreciated, but it was quite effective; I was on record as not wishing to obstruct and doing my level best to even stay out of his way.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I knew I had to have more than 9 posts ...
Now if I can just get the message board to accept Fallschirmjäger instead of messing up the formatting.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

The officer was kinda right, he does have the right to ask. But it don't mean it has to be a conversation. You have to right to not say a word.
Interesting how the deputies pull him aside from the camera...I would have declined and said no thank you I'm fine right here.

Last edited:

lancers

Wow. Why am I not surprised. I really don't know what they teach police officers anymore in the academy. Maybe they need to make the academy longer. I know it's tough to fit in anything about the law when there is all that taser training and teaching them to do burn outs and everything, but this is some of the most basic stuff.

OP handled it well. I am so tired of that cocky I know everything attitude when they clearly don't. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. OP's girlfriend also did very well.

papa bear

Bcal i left a comment on the you tube site. again i think you did an excellent job in knowing how to act and what to say and knowing the rules. would you say you got any of this from this or any other forum?

in the second videos when the officer said "just because your boyfriend says it is , dosen't make it true". if it had one of the women in my family that he used that condescending remark on. you would have been getting them out of jail

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
This was forwarded to BIA as well as the supervisor's supervisor. I hope I didn't come off as too confrontational...

No, not too confrontational at all.

I like it, I tend to word things a little differently than most folks. I like the way it reads, you were less agressive than I would have been.

chakragod

Nice job, I'm waiting for the day that a SJPD stops me, because I know how they are. Then again they might just shoot me and the DA won't prosecute....but still.

I was actually stopped in Wal-Mart today by the greeter, and she just said she wanted to make sure, so I was friendly about it. Once the CSM came over I was ready to go through my spiel, but lo and behold she just said to the greeter, "Yes it's legal, we just don't get it very often." and the greeter just apologized for my time and I was on my way.

Reverend BCal

In all caps...could he be angry?! :)

Mr. Calvin,

i am the direct supervisor for officer tonn. I received your complaintfrom capt. Rothganger. I have reviewed the complaint as well as the two video/audio links which you provided. After complete review of all the information, appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for your concern.

Sgt. S.w. Smith
st. Joseph police dept.

Last edited:

mohawk001

This isn't Arizona or Nazi Germany. I don't have to show you my "papers" just because you ask.

Quite honestly, such stupidity right there. You are mad that the LE doesn't know the laws, but yet you are willing to put down states without knowing their laws. AZ is not Nazi Germany any more than you are ******* ** **** as I type this.

--Moderator Warning--
Under NO circumstances is such language acceptable here.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OUCH, that struck a nerve!!!!!

I noticed that myself, but wondered if AZ indeed did have a stop and identify law or something he was referencing.

Festus_Hagen

Mr. Calvin, i am the direct supervisor for officer tonn. I received your complaint from capt. Rothganger. I have reviewed the complaint as well as the two video/ audio links which you provided. After complete review of all of the information, appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for your concern. Sgt. S.w. Smith st. Joseph police dept.

Ouch !

Reverend BCal

Super duper mature.

Well, since Missouri hasn't tried to pass any laws that would give a police officer broad and almost unrestricted power to stop and detain anybody they feel may or may not be possibly potentially kinda sorta maybe breaking the law and demand their citizenship papers or be arrested, I can understand why you would get so butt hurt, Mohawk.

SavageOne

Well done Rev., I think you handled the situation extremely well. I do have one concern per your letter to the officer's supervisor.

You quote 84.710 in reference to having to ID yourself. Chapter 84 of the Missouri State Statues specifically covers the cities of St. Louis and Kansas City, further 84.710 is specific to Kansas City. If you look at the very next chapter it details "City Police and Fire Departments Generally", therefore any statue in chapter 84 is only for St.Louis or Kansas City and should not be applied to the rest of the State. It looks like some officers in St. Joe think they already have more power than they do, I just wouldn't want to give them the idea that they have the ability to demand ID.

kcgunfan

Mr. Calvin,

i am the direct supervisor for officer tonn. I received your complaintfrom capt. Rothganger. I have reviewed the complaint as well as the two video/audio links which you provided. After complete review of all the information, appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for your concern.

Sgt. S.w. Smith
st. Joseph police dept.

I hate that. What do you want to bet that Officer Tonn had a finger wagged in his direction, with a smile on Sgt. Smith's face? I wish they could be a little more descriptive.

Richieg150

Quite honestly, such stupidity right there. You are mad that the LE doesn't know the laws, but yet you are willing to put down states without knowing their laws. AZ is not Nazi Germany any more than you are ******* ** ****as I type this.

Hmmmmmmmm I'm wondering why this post wasnt deleated. I consider the last part of that statement, way out of line, personal attack ect.... I'm thinking maybe it was posted by some adolesent, lurking about, as a rational adult wouldnt post something as ignorant, or should have the ability to communicated in an adult manner, with respect and getting your point accross without that kind of statement. They say you cant judge a book by its cover, but I guarantee that by looking at the words the book contains you will know what kind of book your dealing with.

Big Boy

Mr. Calvin,

Sgt. S.w. Smith
st. Joseph police dept.

Would have been nice if he stated what that action was...

cshoff

Hmmmmmmmm I'm wondering why this post wasnt deleated. I consider the last part of that statement, way out of line, personal attack ect.... I'm thinking maybe it was posted by some adolesent, lurking about, as a rational adult wouldnt post something as ignorant, or should have the ability to communicated in an adult manner, with respect and getting your point accross without that kind of statement. They say you cant judge a book by its cover, but I guarantee that by looking at the words the book contains you will know what kind of book your dealing with.

I reported the post as "garbage" and "trash". I assumed one of the mods deleted it. The person who posted that garbage here should be ashamed of himself.

Last edited:

mohawk001

I reported the post as "garbage" and "trash". I assumed one of the mods deleted it. The person who posted that garbage here should be ashamed of himself.

No, I am not ashamed of myself. Perhaps the trash is the person comparing us to Nazi Germany. Oh, that's ok I guess. So you are a Nazi yourself then? Oh, is that crossing the line when someone else does it? Perhaps look at the first comparison to figure out where the reply came from. After all, having to compare a state to Nazi Germany is sooo adult I can see and is also an attack at people from that state, especially when it's a lie that had to be made up. So please, tell me, is the proper way to show being an adult here to compare people to Nazi Germany and then call them children for replying in kind? Actually, it wasn't even an attack, it was just a very visual way of saying that what they said was a plain out lie. So you can go screw yourself also for supporting Nazi Germany comparisons and the lies they put forth.

Festus_Hagen

I have to admit that when I have disagreed with some folks here the "Nazi" word is thrown about as well. It does get old.

BUT..... the way you came across was uncalled for IMO.