• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Factory Case and TSA

Irish_Dave

I'm going to be flying in a few weeks and plan on bringing a pistol (checked luggage, of course). Does anyone have any experiences with TSA and using the factory Glock hard case secured with a cable lock? I read the TSA's site and it seems to meet the definition of a "hard sided case" but I was looking for any first hand experience

CO-Joe

I'm going to be flying in a few weeks and plan on bringing a pistol (checked luggage, of course). Does anyone have any experiences with TSA and using the factory Glock hard case secured with a cable lock? I read the TSA's site and it seems to meet the definition of a "hard sided case" but I was looking for any first hand experience

The Glock case doesn't have lock loops, does it? No, I don't think it would be a good idea, since in theory you could probably open it enough, what with the cable lock, to break the other side open and get the pistol out. Why not just go to wally-world and buy a sturdy hard-sided case designed for this kind of thing? It'd be worth the investment.

Dreamer

Buy a proper case. The Glock factory case are not Airline-approved by ANY airline that I know of. A decent pistol case that is airline approved should cost you less than $150--well worth it in the long run...

MKEgal

BTW, don't use a TSA-approved lock for your pistol case!
And if they want to open it, don't hand over the key or combination.
The rules say that only you must be in possession of the means to open that case.
A TSA-approved lock means that anyone w/ the super pass key can open it.
Bad enough when it's just your undies they're rifling through, but I wouldn't trust one of them with a gun.

RedRuger

Notes and Comments

The TSA Web Site used to say The rules say that only you must be in possession of the means to open that case. It now says

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
TSA inspects all firearm cases at the ticket counter. Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If travelers are not present and the security officer must open the container, TSA or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

I take this to mean that you may be required to hand TSA the key to your gun case.

Some examples of gun cases that i have used for transporting guns are:

Pelican 1450 Case http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1450-...J86I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305903296&sr=8-1
Franzen Locking Gun Case http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=129254
SIG SAUER CASE http://cgi.ebay.com/SIG-SAUER-PISTO...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159dfb087

You might also check out what Deviant Ollam has to say about flying with firearms at http://deviating.net/firearms/

Ed.

Dreamer

A TSA-approved lock means that anyone w/ the super pass key can open it.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. There is a HUGE difference between TSA-approved locks and airline-approved transport cases.

The first is made so that anyone with a passkey and the IQ of a ham sandwich can get in it.

The second is built to withstand begin tossed down stairwells, jumped on by gorillas, run over by a tractor, and still get your contained goodies to the destination safely...

MKEgal

Having just picked up my newest Glock this evening (YEA!!!), I'm going to modify that case just like I modified the case I bought at Fleet Farm that was sold as a gun case.

That one had a little plastic lock loop molded into the inside of the handle.
Easy to break off the lock.
So I took my drill & put a hole through the middle of the handle itself, then got a lock long enough to go through the handle, but not allow it to be opened.
(Easier than finding a lock that would go around the handle w/o allowing it to open.)

And thank you NavyLT for digging up the actual law. I know I'd read it, but didn't go find it when I posted.
Seeing what the TSA is trying to get people to believe, looks like it might be a good idea to have a printout of that handy (rubber-banded around your carry case, with the important parts highlighted or in bold?) if you have to fly.

dreamer said:
I didn't mean to confuse anyone. There is a HUGE difference between TSA-approved locks and airline-approved transport cases.
I understand that... was just trying to point out that a TSA-approved lock is NOT approved for use on an airline-approved gun case. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Last edited:

MKEgal

I used the "contact us" link at the bottom of the TSA page, & the "website feedback" link, to send the following message. We'll see if anything changes, or if they keep breaking the law. (Why stop now?)

On your page discussing travelling with "special items" (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm) there is a mistake.

It says: "Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation."

"Taking the key back" implies that the traveller & TSA employees involved have broken Federal law. Surely you meant to say something along the lines of "stay in the area to open the case for the inspection, but do not give your key or combination to anyone".

For reference to the Federal law that would be broken if a traveller gave a TSA agent the key or combination to a gun case lock, see (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.10.2.10.6&idno=49):

Title 49, section 1540.111(c)(2)(4)
(c) A passenger may not transport...
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and *_only_* the passenger retains the key or combination.
(emphasis added)

I hope this was only an oversight, and the actual people conducting the inspections follow the Federal law. (If not, please drop a note to the training department!)

Irish_Dave

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After reading the posts, I ended up asking around and found a buddy who is going to lend me his pelican case for the trip.

Dreamer

I used to have a Pelican for my camera when I did a lot of freelance photography. That thing was flat-out indestructible, as well as completely water tight and dust proof. Should have never sold it...

Pelicans are some of the best rugged duty cases out there--in some ways better than ATA or Gator cases--at least with regards to the fact that Pelicans are not only rugged as heck, but pretty much environment-proof too...

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Don't spend more than 7 dollars on this!!!!!

Buy a proper case. The Glock factory case are not Airline-approved by ANY airline that I know of. A decent pistol case that is airline approved should cost you less than $150--well worth it in the long run...

LESS THAN 150!!! :shocker:

Wo wo wooooo hold the phone. I've flown with this one about 5 times in the past year with my glock with 0 problems! IT COST 7 DOLLARS (which yes, is less than 150, but no where near that ballpark!!!)

682841.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=682841
9 dollars on midwayusa. Enjoy. (needs two locks)

Last edited: