• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must read! Senate bill 176

silver

http://www.newswithviews.com/LeMieux/michael148.htm

I found this in the law library. the verbiage of this bill irks me as does the difficulty of actually finding devastating legislative bills. I am currently composing an email for our senators, which i will also be printing and mailing to them. I will post it as soon as i have completed it (tomorrow hopefully) feel free to copy past and send off.

back to work to prevent infringement of our precious rights!

silver

I believe that this bill is the first step in creating a national data base of firearms owners. Should we reach that unfortunate point, all the guns of law abiding citizens will be compromised. The government will know who has each serial number, and private transfers will likely be illegal as well. It happened the same way in england. first guns were registered for "safety reasons", then certain guns were outlawed because they were "dangerous" (any one have a .50 bmg?) then handguns became illegal, then rifles, and finally shotguns. The only people left with guns were and are criminals that bought/buy them in the black market. This is the first step to violating your right to life! Do not let it happen. Do not support any senator who votes for this bill for reelection.

I hereby release any intellectual property rights of this composition to any person who wishes to use it to prevent infringement of our rights. Feel free to cut and paste, verbatim if you wish but add anything you feel is useful. if you do add something of value, please repost it.

Dear senator,

This email is in regards to Senate bill 176, entitled the ‘‘Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011." This bill is in no way common sense, and I urge you to vote to strike it down. My case is as follows:

As i am sure you are aware, the second amendment of the constitution reads;
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The restrictions that would be placed on the obtaining of licensure directly violate the rights of any citizen over the age of eighteen (18), yet under the age of twenty-one (21), just as the current federal regulation on the sale of handguns and handgun ammunition from registered dealers does. Requiring licensure in and of itself is an infringement on the second amendment as a man cannot bear such arms until he is properly licensed, nor until he has already lived three (3) years as a legal adult of this nation. This is a regulation in excess of those afforded the federal government by the constitution. Why should we be required to apply for permission to exercise our rights?

At the age of eighteen (18) years, being recognized as a legal and responsible adult, a man can sign his name on a contract for military duty in the service of this country, and when his appropriate training is completed, enter a war zone to fight for this country. Many of these brave young men do not return to america alive, often before they reach the age of 21. Why are these men not considered responsible enough to handle themselves properly when within our borders? The same applies for men who do not choose military duty. Should not a man, deemed responsible enough to fight in our wars, vote for our representatives and leaders, and assume legal responsibility for all his actions, be properly given the rights afforded him by our constitution?

I believe in the principles this country was founded on, each citizen has certain inalienable rights that shall not be infringed. I proudly and vocally support my second amendment rights and the second amendment rights of my fellow citizens. I will not support for reelection any of my senators who vote for further regulation on the second amendment

A concerned citizen,

Include name

jt59

Before we get our knickers in a twist, can anyone give the current status of this bill?

I agree it is poor legislation, but consider:

It was introduced by Barbara Boxner in January, with no co-sponsors and it has been referred to committee, where it is now parked.

It merits monitoring, but unless you have a link that shows movement, I am not to concerned about it, with all the other issues that congress is dealing with now.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-176

silver

Well ill admit i jumped the gun (no pun intended) a little bit on that one, but you never know do you. I was under the impression it was further along than it actually is. Well never hurts to get your opinion out anyway. All well, lesson learned. Plus it was good practice writing a pro-gun email lol. Thanks for the Link as well this is easily my favorite legislation website now.