• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you guys think?

Big Boy

I live alone so I don't really go grocery shopping all that much, but when I do there's generally a little beer or whatever in the cart and who cares, it's just my grocery shopping, and I'm generally OC'ing.

However, whenever I just run in to grab some alcohol and nothing else, I generally don't OC. Obviously not doing anything illegal, Just thinking image wise.

Am I making too big of a deal over nothing?

Reverend BCal

Remember the law change, and how it only applies to consumption of alcohol. Purchasing alcohol might get an extra head turn, but you aren't breaking the law so you have nothing to worry about or hide!

SavageOne

Remember the law change, and how it only applies to consumption of alcohol. Purchasing alcohol might get an extra head turn, but you aren't breaking the law so you have nothing to worry about or hide!

The law doesn't say anything about consumption of alcohol. It says you may not handle or use your firearm in a negligent or unlawful manner if in intoxicated.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

Many wish to normalize the image of OC. I say what could be more normal then, than doing the same normal things you normally would. If you already carry yourself in a manner where the image of you buying alcohol doesn't present a negative image, it should not change if you add a firearm. If we don't bring the focus on to the gun, then most of the time others will not even notice it. I think that is what we are all truly striving for, a time when the exercising of our rights warrants no notice.

Claytron

I can frequently be seen OCing at my local supermarket with just a bottle of coffee brandy in my hand and nobody seems to mind.

Its when i open the bottle and start drinking it on the way out of the store that people start staring

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Getting ready to head to the store for clorox and VO as we speak.

The Vo is ok, but that bleach has me on edge!
<big grin>

First guess, young person, second guess some what new to oc.

Try this, hold a beer can up at eye level, ask it is offended, if it answers discontinue the practice of carrying, if it does not, your all good and you have nothing to worry about.

<more evil grinning>

Just relax and do what feels fine to you, you have the freedom of choice, you never have to oc while buying beer, nor will you get into legal trouble if you decide to do so.

cshoff

Even prior to the language change to RSMO 571.030.1.(5) last year, it was not unlawful to possess or consume alcohol while in possession of a firearm. It was only unlawful if you became "intoxicated" and were also in possession of a firearm.

cash50

I live alone so I don't really go grocery shopping all that much, but when I do there's generally a little beer or whatever in the cart and who cares, it's just my grocery shopping, and I'm generally OC'ing.

However, whenever I just run in to grab some alcohol and nothing else, I generally don't OC. Obviously not doing anything illegal, Just thinking image wise.

Am I making too big of a deal over nothing?

If you're worried about image, just try not to crack that 40 in the store. And pull up your pants!

Big Boy

Many wish to normalize the image of OC. I say what could be more normal then, than doing the same normal things you normally would. If you already carry yourself in a manner where the image of you buying alcohol doesn't present a negative image, it should not change if you add a firearm. If we don't bring the focus on to the gun, then most of the time others will not even notice it. I think that is what we are all truly striving for, a time when the exercising of our rights warrants no notice.

Good point.