• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Lucky Seven

tletourneau

I was asked to leave Lucky Seven Sporting Goods in Virginia, MN for carrying. They are not posted, I left but as required but did ask that they post so that other people don't waste their time going in and being asked to leave.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please never, never ask someone to post a sign.

We vote with our dollars - if a gun store doesn't want my business, that is fine, but I want them to tell me to my face. There are plenty that do appreciate my business from Victoria through Richmond and in NoVa.

tletourneau

If I were by myself I'd agree but my wife is disabled and had I known their policy ahead of time my wife wouldn't have had to go through getting in and out of the vehicle needlessly which is somewhat painful for her.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I were by myself I'd agree but my wife is disabled and had I known their policy ahead of time my wife wouldn't have had to go through getting in and out of the vehicle needlessly which is somewhat painful for her.

Now you know and likely don't need the sign to be reminded. Point is No Guns signs promote anti policies.

MKEgal

Grapeshot said:
Please never, never ask someone to post a sign.
+10,000
Make it uncomfortable for them. Most people don't like conflict. Make them do it face to face.
Maybe if they get enough people walking out in disgust without buying anything, they'll stop telling people they don't want their money.

Meanwhile, get hold of the manager & complain.
If that doesn't work, get hold of the corporate office & complain.

"I was not breaking a law, yet employee X told me I was not welcome in your stores because of my peaceful exercise of my Constitutionally-protected rights.
If you're only stopping people who are carrying openly, you're discriminating, & that's wrong.
Besides, without metal detectors, how could you stop people who carry concealed, including criminals intent on harming people
?"

If they sell firearms, point out the hypocrisy.

Claytron

Now you know and likely don't need the sign to be reminded. Point is No Guns signs promote anti policies.

Its sad how you care about a sign more than a person who is disabled.

If a store is adamant about enforcing a "No Guns" policy then they should have a sign posted to reduce the inconvenience of potential customers who carry instead of staying unposted so the trendy gun crew can have an excuse to go have some fun "testing" the store.

robdoar

First, Good job taking your money elsewhere... That's all that usually matters to them.

Second.. NEVER wise up a chump. Places that don't post signs, or don't have a compliment sign are better left that way. I want to go through my day (and the public go through theirs) seeing as few of those signs as possible.

3rd, Talk to the store owner/store manager. It's never worth arguing store policy with a minion, or low-level manager. Take it straight to the top.

Be polite, and mention that you and your friends only shop at locations that recognize your rights.

If they are still closed minded, start sending receipts of all of your purchases that could have been made at their store... and remind them that you are a loyal customer to store that recognize your rights. (That worked for me getting Maple Grove REI to take down their sign.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First, Good job taking your money elsewhere... That's all that usually matters to them.

Second.. NEVER wise up a chump. Places that don't post signs, or don't have a compliment sign are better left that way. I want to go through my day (and the public go through theirs) seeing as few of those signs as possible.

3rd, Talk to the store owner/store manager. It's never worth arguing store policy with a minion, or low-level manager. Take it straight to the top.

Be polite, and mention that you and your friends only shop at locations that recognize your rights.

If they are still closed minded, start sending receipts of all of your purchases that could have been made at their store... and remind them that you are a loyal customer to store that recognize your rights. (That worked for me getting Maple Grove REI to take down their sign.)

Excellent advice. Simple, straight forward and not in the least discourteous.

A proliferation of such signs, especially at gun shops, would only serve to further the fear of the object/gun.

Best means to obtain our goals in instances like this is education and the withdrawal of our money supporting these establishments.

VW_Factor

Coming from a somewhat retail management background, this I would look at as childish. Wouldn't matter to me one bit and I would likely toss it immediately. "Moron sending me his garbage to throw out".... At least it helps to keep postal people employed.

Not saying its wrong or anything. Just worthless in my personal view, and I might send it back to you in a giant UPS box full of packing peanuts, just because..

I have asked people to leave some of the places I have been in management at (never for having a firearm mind you, for their own stupid otherwise stupid behavior). There was a reason for that. I don't want your money and I don't care where you spend it. Perhaps others in management positions feel differently.

This was only posted in as an alternative view.

Carry on.

Last edited:

robdoar

Coming from a somewhat retail management background, this I would look at as childish. Wouldn't matter to me one bit and I would likely toss it immediately. "Moron sending me his garbage to throw out".... At least it helps to keep postal people employed.

Not saying its wrong or anything. Just worthless in my personal view, and I might send it back to you in a giant UPS box full of packing peanuts, just because..

I have asked people to leave some of the places I have been in management at (never for having a firearm mind you, for their own stupid otherwise stupid behavior). There was a reason for that. I don't want your money and I don't care where you spend it. Perhaps others in management positions feel differently.

This was only posted in as an alternative view.

Carry on.

Also coming from a retail management background, I completely agree with you. It is a last resort. It's was completely more for me than for them. I got satisfaction sending them my receipts... I did not anticipate any action, and was surprised that it worked.

I do however, think that if the 83,000 PTC holders in MN started this form of activism, we would not see a sign in 90% of the very few retail establishments that have them.

Activism isn't always about winning against the chump, but making your voice heard.

Last edited:

tletourneau

Just a quick update, I stopped by the business office today and asked what the policy was regarding lawful carrying of a weapon in their stores. The lady I asked went and asked the owner and he said there is no policy prohibiting lawful carry and he has no problem with it in any of their locations. I then relayed my experience to the nice lady. She seemed interested that the person I spoke with said he was the manager when I asked, but didn't offer any information about that. She assured me that the person I dealt with would be informed of the actual policy and that I should have no problems in the future. Overall a good resolution I think.

robdoar

Just a quick update, I stopped by the business office today and asked what the policy was regarding lawful carrying of a weapon in their stores. The lady I asked went and asked the owner and he said there is no policy prohibiting lawful carry and he has no problem with it in any of their locations. I then relayed my experience to the nice lady. She seemed interested that the person I spoke with said he was the manager when I asked, but didn't offer any information about that. She assured me that the person I dealt with would be informed of the actual policy and that I should have no problems in the future. Overall a good resolution I think.

winning.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Thanks for the update.

Sometimes persistence and follow through pay off - one person and one establishment at a time. :D

military50

Following on... Verizon wireless in Eagan

This story reminds me of something that just happened to me last week. I went into the Verizon Wireless store in Eagan, asked for help and was helped, they had not noticed me OC'ing. As soon as I had turned to go to the help desk I heard a slightly disgruntled and heasitant voice behind me saying "Sir.... sir?" I turned around and the lady and a gentleman told me that Firearms were not permitted in their stores. (Mind you, there was no signage saying otherwise). It was a "Corporate Policy" (their words, not mine). None the less, I informed them that I was carrying well within my rights according to the law, and that there was nothing saying that firearms were not welcome on the property. I asked if I could stay and let me finish what I was there to do, and they let me, but reinforced the fact that guns were not welcome. Later on I was having more issues with my phone, so I called the tech support line, and talked to a really awesome lady, and went on and on, then she asked how I liked dealing with VZW... I told her I loved it up until today, and explained everything that happened. She was appalled by the fact (her seeing that I get a gov't discount) that I was asked to leave and told that it was a corporate policy. She then talked to her manager and informed me that no such policy was in place, and that I have every right to carry in their stores.

So, thats my long winded story... any suggestions? Do I continue going to that store, do I request to speak to their boss, do I request a call with corporate while in the store? What do ya think?

Carry On

Last edited:

military50

Verizon Policy

Ok,

So, I had sent an email into their customer service line, and they guy who responded was very vague, so I sent a follow up to see weather or not they actually did. Yesterday, I had a lawyer from Verizon Wireless call me. Long story short, they do not actually BAN firearms on their property, or in their stores, but they reserve the right to ask anyone to leave who is OC'ing. I asked him, so if I concealed my weapon it would not be a problem, because then no one would see it. He said, yeah, basically. So we went round and round, and that would be the jist of their policy. Firearms are not banned, but as the MN Statute states, they can ask a person to leave. Not quite sure how to continue on with this, do I keep testing the waters? Should I try different stores? Or should I just leave it where it is and CC while I go in there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ok,

So, I had sent an email into their customer service line, and they guy who responded was very vague, so I sent a follow up to see weather or not they actually did. Yesterday, I had a lawyer from Verizon Wireless call me. Long story short, they do not actually BAN firearms on their property, or in their stores, but they reserve the right to ask anyone to leave who is OC'ing. I asked him, so if I concealed my weapon it would not be a problem, because then no one would see it. He said, yeah, basically. So we went round and round, and that would be the jist of their policy. Firearms are not banned, but as the MN Statute states, they can ask a person to leave. Not quite sure how to continue on with this, do I keep testing the waters? Should I try different stores? Or should I just leave it where it is and CC while I go in there?

The official policy on OCDO is that we obey all laws and respect the rights of private property owners.

At the same time while unquestionably promoting OC, such is not done at the exclusion of all other methods of legal carry. Many participants here have permits to carry concealed and utilize them as needed. Part and parcel to OCDO tenants is the ability to choose how one exercises the RKBA, not the demand that OC and only OC prevail.

Discretion has been said to be the better part of valor - IMHO that is not in opposition to our core principles.