• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop and ID?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I would say come on up for the brewery tour and enjoy some for free where it's guaranteed to be the freshest.

I would say that except that Coors is private property and they say no guns allowed. No free beer for me.

Lol, I have no problem leaving my firearm in the car (or at home) to visit a place like the Coors Brewery. Perhaps some of the others? A post-Brewery OC meet might be fun.

M-Taliesin

I feel that if we are given a permit <snip> perhaps we should have some sort of identifying mark via a badge or pin so when an officer sees it they know we're one of the good guys and not have to stop us.

Howdy Amigo!
Frankly that has about the same appeal as the officer deciding to give me an enema while checking me out during a stop. Either way the pain is similar, and the locus is identical.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

mahkagari

It has been done before... IN Germany, they only had the Jews wear gold stars. It only ended with a few MILLION exterminated!

Are you sure you want to go there with this?

That was the opposite actually. It was in the Soviet Union where the "good guys" were "party members" and wore special pins. They did that in Germany, too, but LEO's leaving the good guys alone was more prevalent in the USSR. Everyone was treated equally suspect in Germany. How egalitarian, eh?

O2HeN2

Glad to find an existing note!

To continue the discussion:

CRS 16-3-103 (1) states:

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect.

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

Is there any case law around this for OC? Does mere open carry itself allow an LEO to "reasonably suspect" that you are about to commit a crime? And if merely "having the equipment" makes an LEO "reasonably suspect" you're about to commit a crime, does that mean any LEO can stop any male because he suspects that they're about to commit rape, and any female because they're about to hook? (flippant, but valid)

The key to the answer here is going to be case law around OC and Stop & ID, is there any?

People v. DF is a mixed bag and doesn't really help...

O2

since9

Campaign Veteran
Is there any case law around this for OC?

Yes. In the link you provided, search on the term "weapons." Case law galore.

Does mere open carry itself allow an LEO to "reasonably suspect" that you are about to commit a crime?

No.

And if merely "having the equipment" makes an LEO "reasonably suspect" you're about to commit a crime, does that mean any LEO can stop any male because he suspects that they're about to commit rape, and any female because they're about to hook? (flippant, but valid)

If it's not allowable for the metal gun...

F350

Glad to find an existing note!

To continue the discussion:

CRS 16-3-103 (1) states:

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect.

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

Is there any case law around this for OC? Does mere open carry itself allow an LEO to "reasonably suspect" that you are about to commit a crime? And if merely "having the equipment" makes an LEO "reasonably suspect" you're about to commit a crime, does that mean any LEO can stop any male because he suspects that they're about to commit rape, and any female because they're about to hook? (flippant, but valid)

The key to the answer here is going to be case law around OC and Stop & ID, is there any?

People v. DF is a mixed bag and doesn't really help...

O2

OK, can't find the thread but Loveland just paid out $15,000 because of this, the payee is a member here.

Here it is...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-CO-pays-15-000-to-settle-open-carry-lawsuit

Last edited: