• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eurasia.com - Open carry movement is well organized in USA

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.eurasiareview.com/us-and-the-right-to-bear-arms-movement-growing-07052011/

SNIP

The Virginia Citizens Defense league is part of the greater Open Carry movement, a well-organized network of gun owners in 43 states.

“It builds camaraderie between everyone and it makes it easier to spread the message of open carry,” believes Justin Boyd, gun owner.

For some in the Open Carry movement, it is about more than security. It is about forming a militia, defending themselves from government tyranny and even organizing an insurgency.

MKEgal

The number of shootings in the schools and streets of America has done little to dampen the enthusiasm of thousands to assert their Second Amendment rights.
:banghead:
What is so hard to understand about this concept:
The reason there are shootings in schools is because the criminals know they're safe there.
In places that allow teachers to carry in school, there aren't shootings.
Shootings on the streets are mostly done by criminals, to criminals.
Once in a while they attack a citizen, & once in a while the intended victim is able to stop them.

For some in the Open Carry movement, it is about more than security. It is about forming a militia, defending themselves from government tyranny and even organizing an insurgency.
Wow... who have they been talking to?
If that's the way people see us, no wonder the anti's have their knickers in a knot.
Then again, this is from a controlled part of the world...

I'll go along with the defense part, as that's the ultimate extension of the 2A.
But the militia is defined by law.
And I don't think there'd be much overlap between the average law-abiding OCer & those looking to overthrow the gov't violently.
Sure as heck not what I'm here for.

eye95

...Wow... who have they been talking to?
If that's the way people see us, no wonder the anti's have their knickers in a knot.
Then again, this is from a controlled part of the world...

There are some people within the movement that cannot write anything unless the ultimate conclusion is that the US government is a hopeless tyranny or that the police are all violent thugs or that we must take up arms against our government now. Despite the owners clearly stating that such is not welcome here, they post this hateful drivel anyway.

It is no wonder that external observers think that the OC movement "is about forming a militia, defending themselves from government tyranny and even organizing an insurgency."

It isn't. But this vocal minority is damaging the movement by being bad apples. I really wish that John and Mike would be more proactive in stopping this stuff.

Daylen

Anyone else like how these idiots ignore that most in OC are more worried about and are more "organizing" a counterinsurgency? I've not seen many say "hey lets overthrow the constitution!" Far more are of the mind "how do we keep order when SHTF (including worries about militant lefties throwing things at the fan) with or without the help of government bodies". When will this be reported or commented on by media not directly involved with gun rights?

Last edited:

j4l

There are some people within the movement that cannot write anything unless the ultimate conclusion is that the US government is a hopeless tyranny or that the police are all violent thugs or that we must take up arms against our government now. Despite the owners clearly stating that such is not welcome here, they post this hateful drivel anyway.

It is no wonder that external observers think that the OC movement "is about forming a militia, defending themselves from government tyranny and even organizing an insurgency."

It isn't. But this vocal minority is damaging the movement by being bad apples. I really wish that John and Mike would be more proactive in stopping this stuff.

Exactly.
Think it over for a sec. Just scan through a lot of the posts in just about any section-
How many posts are pre-occupied with "LEO encounters" "lets record the encounters" and such as well. The casual observer here, especially LEOs (many of whom might actually be in favor of our cause until they read this nonsense) as well as some of the law-makers (or their staff flunkies) who might also read these pages ,even if they dont post anything, can easily come to some conclusions about a lot of folks here.

Dreamer

I thought we were at war with Eurasia, and have always been.

Or is that Eastasia?

I can never get that one straight. They keep changing it on us...

Aknazer

Exactly.
Think it over for a sec. Just scan through a lot of the posts in just about any section-
How many posts are pre-occupied with "LEO encounters" "lets record the encounters" and such as well. The casual observer here, especially LEOs (many of whom might actually be in favor of our cause until they read this nonsense) as well as some of the law-makers (or their staff flunkies) who might also read these pages ,even if they dont post anything, can easily come to some conclusions about a lot of folks here.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with recording the encounters and nearly everyone on this board will tell you it is a good idea to carry a recorder on you that is always recording in case something happens (either with the cops or in case you have to actually pull your gun). But I guess you have missed that. You also must miss the various posts by people stating how they have had good, professional encounters with cops as well. But it's just the nature of OCing that people are going to have more negative encounters because typically the good cops aren't going to stop someone.

And when we get OC in OK, TX, FL, etc you better believe that the first people who start OCing are going to have some very interesting encounters and not all of them will be good. Or maybe you would just have us not post about any negative encounter?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Exactly.

lol, gotta love how he makes it about recording police encounters.

For the record, recording encounters with police is not just understood, but is actively encouraged across the spectrum of political activism (and non-activism for that matter) both left and right and nonpartisan.

The only people who don't advocate it are those who are unfamiliar with the law and reasoning, and the only people who have an actual problem with it are apologists for police excess.

Thanks for "coming out", j4l.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I do not observe people here advocating recording an encounter as a way to "get the goods" against law enforcement, but simply to protect one's own rights against potential abuses, mis-remembering on the part of law enforcement. Recording simply eliminates any "he said/she said" issues.

Dreamer

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We shall.

With our pocket recorders, and our video cameras.

It is, in fact the DUTY of all citizens to hold their government accountable for abuses of the fundamental human rights of it's citizenry.

Last edited:

eye95

I don't record with the hope of catching anyone doing anything. I record hoping it will cause LEOs to stop and think, to maybe NOT do something foolish that they otherwise would have done. The one time that I was recording when I was stopped, I told the LEOs that I was recording the encounter.

If it doesn't shortstop any wrong-doing, then there will be a record of it.

OC is proactive and preventive. I record for the same reasons.

MR Redenck

People, that was simply a Quote from one of the Virginia CDL members.
I dont throw rocks at the things people say. Not when its true.
Just so you know, those 43 guy's that were mentioned in that article are doing some great things. Dont jump to conclusions becasue yall dont really know much about it, "yet". It's not a bunch of crazy people talking crazy stuff.