Thread: Winchester / NRA marksmanship program question

Winchester / NRA marksmanship program question

I just found out about this last month when I took the basic pistol course, & have been working my way through the pistol marksmanship program.

Tonight I finished Expert, so the last step is Distinguished Expert, & that takes a witness.
    Any of you who have done this, how closely does someone have to supervise your shooting?

If I'm at the range, & one of the employees agrees to watch through the window while he's also manning the register, does that count, or do I have to find someone willing to stand right behind me the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I just found out about this last month when I took the basic pistol course, & have been working my way through the pistol marksmanship program.

Tonight I finished Expert, so the last step is Distinguished Expert, & that takes a witness.
    Any of you who have done this, how closely does someone have to supervise your shooting?

If I'm at the range, & one of the employees agrees to watch through the window while he's also manning the register, does that count, or do I have to find someone willing to stand right behind me the whole time?
    I don't know for sure but I can find out for you. We do it at Boy Scout camp, I have distinguished for shotgun, but we have a scorer for it and thats how we keep track and then the NRA instructor(my boss) signs off on the cards. We also do it for pistol and rifle, but being a Boy Scout camp we always have our NRA instructors(camp staff members who get the certification) on the firing line. I have never messed with the qualification shooting outside of out camps so I can't quite say how it works outside of camp, but I can ask my boss and find out for you.

Never mind... I emailed them & got an answer.
    As long as the witness is satisfied I followed the rules & will sign the form, they're cool with it. Got one of the guys at the range to sign off yesterday.
    Now on to improving my groupings. ::sigh::
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.