• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester / NRA marksmanship program question

MKEgal

I just found out about this last month when I took the basic pistol course, & have been working my way through the pistol marksmanship program.

Tonight I finished Expert, so the last step is Distinguished Expert, & that takes a witness.
Any of you who have done this, how closely does someone have to supervise your shooting?

If I'm at the range, & one of the employees agrees to watch through the window while he's also manning the register, does that count, or do I have to find someone willing to stand right behind me the whole time?

jag06

I just found out about this last month when I took the basic pistol course, & have been working my way through the pistol marksmanship program.

Tonight I finished Expert, so the last step is Distinguished Expert, & that takes a witness.
Any of you who have done this, how closely does someone have to supervise your shooting?

If I'm at the range, & one of the employees agrees to watch through the window while he's also manning the register, does that count, or do I have to find someone willing to stand right behind me the whole time?

I don't know for sure but I can find out for you. We do it at Boy Scout camp, I have distinguished for shotgun, but we have a scorer for it and thats how we keep track and then the NRA instructor(my boss) signs off on the cards. We also do it for pistol and rifle, but being a Boy Scout camp we always have our NRA instructors(camp staff members who get the certification) on the firing line. I have never messed with the qualification shooting outside of out camps so I can't quite say how it works outside of camp, but I can ask my boss and find out for you.

MKEgal

Never mind... I emailed them & got an answer.
As long as the witness is satisfied I followed the rules & will sign the form, they're cool with it. Got one of the guys at the range to sign off yesterday.
Now on to improving my groupings. ::sigh::

Last edited: