Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded or unloaded?

Loaded or unloaded?

I've heard both stories, some people tell me you can open carry, but it has to be unloaded. others say i can carry loaded. whats the true story? i've been looking around here for a while but have come up empty handed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    I've heard both stories, some people tell me you can open carry, but it has to be unloaded. others say i can carry loaded. whats the true story? i've been looking around here for a while but have come up empty handed
    In NC if you can legally OC, it can be loaded.
    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    In NC, you can carry your OCed firearm in ANY configuration you feel safe with. Loaded. Unloaded. Cocked and Locked, whatever.

If anyone says that you must OC unloaded, DEMAND that they state the Statute where this is required by law. (No such statute. law, or code exists in NC...)

I carry loaded, AND with a spare mag, and have never had a single issue in NC, nor do I ever expect to. "Out East", our LEOs actually seem to know and respect the law, and the rights of citizens...

Carry on.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Sometimes Southern States Regulate Loaded Firearms in Reference to Hunting Regulations, BUT NOT to other than Hunting Regulation.

Sometimes, People can Confuse whether or not They are Allowed to Carry a Loaded Firearm when Hunting as Opposed to a Situation when such Persons are NOT Hunting.

Thanks guys. definitely clears things up for me.

beretta 9mm

90-two and 92fs INOX in a wild bill no retention holster. 17 rounds plus 1 in the chamber, no safety on and DA on the 1st pull.
    Preferred weapon is a GBU-10 PavewayII but it's a little heavy for me
    For OC I have a Beretta 90-two Italian 9mm. Mi piace molto
    Beretta pre warnings 92fs stainless steel Italian 9mm
    Beretta 92fs compact USA 9mm
    Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm
    For fun it's an LMT AR-15 w/defender 2000 lower and a slide fire stock

Not a hunter, but the only place I know of that specifies no loaded weapons in NC is a NC Wildlife owned or operated boat launch ramp. There are probably other weird scenarios out there and this one is probably spawned from hunting, but this is the only place I frequent where there is a unloaded clause.

REDFIVE48:

This Regualtion is, again..., most Probably a Hunting Regulation.

Many Hunters in My State have Told Me, Several Times, that You can NOT have Loaded Firearms in Vehicles and in Certain Places, and, again..., I Reminded Them that This ONLY Applies to Hunting, NOT Self-Defense.

However, I Agree with Them that The Hunters are Right when They Speak of Hunting Regulation

aadvark

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    REDFIVE48:

Many Hunters in My State have Told Me, Several Times, that You can NOT have Loaded Firearms in Vehicles and in Certain Places, and, again..., I Reminded Them that This ONLY Applies to Hunting, NOT Self-Defense.

However, I Agree with Them that The Hunters are Right when They Speak of Hunting Regulation

aadvark
    Yes, agreed, a hunting regulation started it, but it applies to all who are at the boat launch, even us OCers as there is no distinction in the regulation that specifically applies it to hunters only:
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_BAA.htm
    It is unlawful to: Possess loaded firearms on the access area (5th bullet)

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Yes, agreed, a hunting regulation started it, but it applies to all who are at the boat launch, even us OCers as there is no distinction in the regulation that specifically applies it to hunters only:
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_BAA.htm
    It is unlawful to: Possess loaded firearms on the access area (5th bullet)
    It would be really nice to have this amended. I am an amateur astronomer and some boat ramps make great places to take my telescope if they are open 24/7 as they are often away from city lights. The problem is, I'm out there all by my lonesome into the wee hours of the morning. Obviously, the law is there to keep duck hunters and such from loading the shotguns at the ramp but you're right, there's nothing in the law that would provide an exception for my OC/CC handgun. Silly (and dangerous).

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    REDFIVE48:

aadvark
    aadvark - unfortunately you are incorrect about the self defense aspect of the statement. When it comes to NC Wildlife, they do not make a distinction on hunting vs self defense. Until I did more research in this area, I was under the impression carrying (OC or CC) was OK in national forests in NC, unfortunately I was mistaken because of NC Wildlife regulation making all national forests into game lands and thus only allowing for firearms (except .22 caliber pistols with barrels shorter than 7.5 inches) during open hunting season.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/newsreleas..._Questions.htm

Agree with Greg - fixing this would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    just for curiosity, who are the "people" you have been trying to get info from ?

Relatives, LEO's, gun shop workers, wall mart associates ?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    just for curiosity, who are the "people" you have been trying to get info from ?

Relatives, LEO's, gun shop workers, wall mart associates ?
    relative and a family friend who's a LEO

Updated information

Just found this on the NC Wildlife Resources web site.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/...aledCarry.aspx

Now it seems to be OK on both Game Lands and Fishing Access/Boat Launch areas

CC only with permit at boat launch

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk

I am glad this thread was brought up as I was wonding about this myself yesterday. I do carry one mag in my Glock and carry a spare as well, but wasnt for if we can carry with one in the chamber. I havent been doing that as I wasnt for sure what the law was on it. May start doing that now.

E.J.

need to carry one chambered, don't need to jam one or waste time doing it in the heat of the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock19fan View Post
    I am glad this thread was brought up as I was wonding about this myself yesterday. I do carry one mag in my Glock and carry a spare as well, but wasnt for if we can carry with one in the chamber. I havent been doing that as I wasnt for sure what the law was on it. May start doing that now.

E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    need to carry one chambered, don't need to jam one or waste time doing it in the heat of the moment.

Very true. I have been trying to get a feel for OCing and wasnt for sure about the law in regards to carrying loaded or not. I know CC you can but counldnt say the same about open carrying. I havent known anyone with any experience on this, and have learned from this site, researching NCs carrying laws and from what others had posted..focusing more so with the published NC laws.

Many have been doing this alot longer than what I have, as I have been OCing for only a month or so and their knowledge base is alot broader than mine is right now. Experience goes along way with this as well as the interaction with the local populace and LOE, which is not something that I have had to deal with...yet.
    Hopefully I dont have too but I am sure that day will come.

I am going to the OC meeting on the 14th of Jan in Clayton and looking forward to meeting with others who care about their 2nd Amendment rights and the protection of their families and themselves. Maybe will see you there.

E.J.

Guys you can oc completely loaded. And as far as having one in the chamber, what good is your weapon if you can't make it go boom if you need it to? A lot of people fear one in the chamber, but having to rack one during a time of distress may prove costly or deadly. I carry my G23 in a ready to fire condition. That's the only way you can give yourself a fighting chance should a situation requiring deadly force arise. Just my opinion.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No matter how fast or effective you are, any time added to a defensive reaction is an unnecessary and potentially deadly condition.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

just remember that no matter how many manual or grip safeties you have, the best two are the one between your ears and your booger hook. If you cant use those two you should not carry a firearm. This is why I own a glock and I always carry with one in the chamber, just draw and shoot when neccessary leaves out alot of guesswork.

i carry a 1911 in condition 1 w/ 3 spare mags, if i can't get it done with 33rds of 45ACP then there must be more than a few BGs after me
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

Every morning the first thing I do when I wake up is read the local news here in greensboro, from my smartphone. And sure as the sun will come up each day, I read stories that remind me why I oc almost everywhere I go. Some of the news stories are happening way to close to home. Carrying a firearm that was not ready to fire would be a death sentence for sure in at least two of this mornings news updates. Carry loaded, carry often, be safe.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I thought I read in California you can OC but needs to be unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
    I thought I read in California you can OC but needs to be unloaded.
    When it comes to rights, I don't even consider that screwed up state a part of the US anymore lol. I'm still waiting for that big earthquake to break it off lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast