• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or unloaded?

gsxrman

I've heard both stories, some people tell me you can open carry, but it has to be unloaded. others say i can carry loaded. whats the true story? i've been looking around here for a while but have come up empty handed :banghead:

Dreamer

In NC, you can carry your OCed firearm in ANY configuration you feel safe with. Loaded. Unloaded. Cocked and Locked, whatever.

If anyone says that you must OC unloaded, DEMAND that they state the Statute where this is required by law. (No such statute. law, or code exists in NC...)

I carry loaded, AND with a spare mag, and have never had a single issue in NC, nor do I ever expect to. "Out East", our LEOs actually seem to know and respect the law, and the rights of citizens...

Carry on.

Last edited:

aadvark

Sometimes Southern States Regulate Loaded Firearms in Reference to Hunting Regulations, BUT NOT to other than Hunting Regulation.

Sometimes, People can Confuse whether or not They are Allowed to Carry a Loaded Firearm when Hunting as Opposed to a Situation when such Persons are NOT Hunting.

bajadudes

beretta 9mm

90-two and 92fs INOX in a wild bill no retention holster. 17 rounds plus 1 in the chamber, no safety on and DA on the 1st pull.

REDFIVE48

Not a hunter, but the only place I know of that specifies no loaded weapons in NC is a NC Wildlife owned or operated boat launch ramp. There are probably other weird scenarios out there and this one is probably spawned from hunting, but this is the only place I frequent where there is a unloaded clause.

aadvark

REDFIVE48:

This Regualtion is, again..., most Probably a Hunting Regulation.

Many Hunters in My State have Told Me, Several Times, that You can NOT have Loaded Firearms in Vehicles and in Certain Places, and, again..., I Reminded Them that This ONLY Applies to Hunting, NOT Self-Defense.

However, I Agree with Them that The Hunters are Right when They Speak of Hunting Regulation

aadvark

REDFIVE48

REDFIVE48:

Many Hunters in My State have Told Me, Several Times, that You can NOT have Loaded Firearms in Vehicles and in Certain Places, and, again..., I Reminded Them that This ONLY Applies to Hunting, NOT Self-Defense.

However, I Agree with Them that The Hunters are Right when They Speak of Hunting Regulation

aadvark

Yes, agreed, a hunting regulation started it, but it applies to all who are at the boat launch, even us OCers as there is no distinction in the regulation that specifically applies it to hunters only:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_BAA.htm
It is unlawful to: Possess loaded firearms on the access area (5th bullet)

Greg Bradburn

Yes, agreed, a hunting regulation started it, but it applies to all who are at the boat launch, even us OCers as there is no distinction in the regulation that specifically applies it to hunters only:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_BAA.htm
It is unlawful to: Possess loaded firearms on the access area (5th bullet)

It would be really nice to have this amended. I am an amateur astronomer and some boat ramps make great places to take my telescope if they are open 24/7 as they are often away from city lights. The problem is, I'm out there all by my lonesome into the wee hours of the morning. Obviously, the law is there to keep duck hunters and such from loading the shotguns at the ramp but you're right, there's nothing in the law that would provide an exception for my OC/CC handgun. Silly (and dangerous).

REDFIVE48

REDFIVE48:

aadvark

aadvark - unfortunately you are incorrect about the self defense aspect of the statement. When it comes to NC Wildlife, they do not make a distinction on hunting vs self defense. Until I did more research in this area, I was under the impression carrying (OC or CC) was OK in national forests in NC, unfortunately I was mistaken because of NC Wildlife regulation making all national forests into game lands and thus only allowing for firearms (except .22 caliber pistols with barrels shorter than 7.5 inches) during open hunting season.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/newsrelea...rry_Permit_for_Firearms_Prompts_Questions.htm

Agree with Greg - fixing this would be a good thing.

papa bear

I've heard both stories, some people tell me you can open carry, but it has to be unloaded. others say i can carry loaded. whats the true story? i've been looking around here for a while but have come up empty handed :banghead:

just for curiosity, who are the "people" you have been trying to get info from ?

Relatives, LEO's, gun shop workers, wall mart associates ?

Glock19fan

I am glad this thread was brought up as I was wonding about this myself yesterday. I do carry one mag in my Glock and carry a spare as well, but wasnt for if we can carry with one in the chamber. I havent been doing that as I wasnt for sure what the law was on it. May start doing that now.

E.J.

Ricky

need to carry one chambered, don't need to jam one or waste time doing it in the heat of the moment.
I am glad this thread was brought up as I was wonding about this myself yesterday. I do carry one mag in my Glock and carry a spare as well, but wasnt for if we can carry with one in the chamber. I havent been doing that as I wasnt for sure what the law was on it. May start doing that now.

E.J.

Glock19fan

need to carry one chambered, don't need to jam one or waste time doing it in the heat of the moment.

Very true. I have been trying to get a feel for OCing and wasnt for sure about the law in regards to carrying loaded or not. I know CC you can but counldnt say the same about open carrying. I havent known anyone with any experience on this, and have learned from this site, researching NCs carrying laws and from what others had posted..focusing more so with the published NC laws.

Many have been doing this alot longer than what I have, as I have been OCing for only a month or so and their knowledge base is alot broader than mine is right now. Experience goes along way with this as well as the interaction with the local populace and LOE, which is not something that I have had to deal with...yet.
Hopefully I dont have too but I am sure that day will come.

I am going to the OC meeting on the 14th of Jan in Clayton and looking forward to meeting with others who care about their 2nd Amendment rights and the protection of their families and themselves. Maybe will see you there.

E.J.

importinvasion

Guys you can oc completely loaded. And as far as having one in the chamber, what good is your weapon if you can't make it go boom if you need it to? A lot of people fear one in the chamber, but having to rack one during a time of distress may prove costly or deadly. I carry my G23 in a ready to fire condition. That's the only way you can give yourself a fighting chance should a situation requiring deadly force arise. Just my opinion.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No matter how fast or effective you are, any time added to a defensive reaction is an unnecessary and potentially deadly condition.