• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

in the car carry on army corps run parks??

KBCraig

I did not see anything in your post that shows that any state park sits on federal land. I can not speak for the entire country, but in the Commonwealth, state parks are state owned, managed and controlled.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you wanted a cite to.

From the "Camping" link, here (ACOE Louisville District):

Campsites at all State Park leased campgrounds, operated by the Commonwealth of Kentucky as well as the States of Indiana and Ohio, may now be reserved in advance. Visit each State's reservations links via the Lakes page (right column) for additional information.

From that page (can't link directly), it looks like Barren River Lake, Carr Creek, Green River Lake, Nolin Lake, Rough River, and Taylorsville Lake are all Kentucky State Parks that are leased from ACOE. The state operates them, but the land is owned by the ACOE.

Texas has the same situation. The state parks director says Texas gun laws apply; ACOE, including LEOs, insist that federal rules apply. Either way, there's no doubt that ACOE has jurisdiction over the property, because they own it.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This isn't as grey as I thought. All this bill does is pull funding for enforcement of their gun ban, not overturn it altogether. H.r. 1865 is wat needs to pass, it will overturn the entire gun ban, anyone have ne word on it?

hotrod

KBCraig I have read the regulation. From what I can tell, it is only the campground that may, and I say may, be under any federal regulation. The reason is the campground is built within the confines of the ACOE's property and the ACOE's lease the campsites, not the state. Looking up the Commonwealth of Kentucky campground rules and regulations, there is no provision to disallow firearms. This is way to confusing, shouldn't be this hard to understand, but as I have said before, enforcement would be tough, they could ask you to leave the campground, but who would come to arrest you? I'm pretty sure the FBI, DEA, ATF etc. would not and there are only a handful of Fish and Wildlife guys. Here is the state rules and regulations. http://parks.ky.gov/regulations.htm. Also, thanks for the information. I am going to research it with my employer tomorrow.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Hopefully this is all moot very soon, but for those following along the federal regulation is 36 CFR 327.13:

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
§ 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
[65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]

Last edited: