• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Iowa?

modus operandi

Can you open carry in Iowa? We recently moved here and I know that Ia just became a shall issue state for concealed carry at the beginning of this year. Is open carry included in concealed carry permit or is there a seperate class you have to take? is it hard?

mrjam2jab

It's not a "concealed carry permit"...it is a "Permit to Carry Weapons".

Manner of carry is not dictated by law...so yes OC is legal since it is not prohibited.

Just keep in mind IA LEAs are not accustomed to seeing OC...so there may be unnecessary stops by LEOs.

modus operandi

loaded or un loaded?

I am getting my weapons carry permit, Does your weapon have to be unloaded while carrying? like do you have to have an empty clip and no round in the chamber? do you have to carry a loaded clip seperately i guess is what im asking.

Tucker6900

I am getting my weapons carry permit, Does your weapon have to be unloaded while carrying? like do you have to have an empty clip and no round in the chamber? do you have to carry a loaded clip seperately i guess is what im asking.

First off, as the Washington County Coordinator for the Iowa Firearms Coalition, let me welcome you to Iowa.

Now, on to carrying here.

The permit, as mentioned before, is a Permit to Carry Weapons. You can carry just about anything other than fully automatic weapons. However, in our infant stages of Shall Issue, I feel I can speak for all of us when I say, please only carry a pistol.....for now. Its a delicate situation with the amount of politicians and sheep around here that are hopolophobes.

And yes. You can carry loaded. I carry my Smith and Wesson M&P .45 with one in the chamber, and a spare mag on the side. So, carry away! :)

P.S. I feel I have to mention the fact that we do not have Castle Doctrine (AKA Stand your ground) here in Iowa yet. So, basically, if you find yourself in a situation where some states would allow you to use deadly force, here, you have to retreat as much as possible.

Please take some time to study the new and old laws of Iowa for yourself. As happy as I am to give advice, it is only that. Advice. I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:

modus operandi

Thank you.

While watching some videos on youtube of LEO's confronting citizens that were open carrying, They always seemed to check if the weapon was unloaded like it seemed they were implying it should be. These videos were all filmed in different states, and I know regulations vary by state and it just raised some questions. Thank you for clearing that up and for the welcome.

Tucker6900

While watching some videos on youtube of LEO's confronting citizens that were open carrying, They always seemed to check if the weapon was unloaded like it seemed they were implying it should be. These videos were all filmed in different states, and I know regulations vary by state and it just raised some questions. Thank you for clearing that up and for the welcome.

That would be California. Open carry is legal there, but the weapon has to be unloaded. The CA. LE are authorized to make a check of the weapon to be sure it is unloaded.

What county are you in?

And if you havent done so yet, go to www.Iowacarry.org and get signed up there.

Last edited:

amaixner

The permit, as mentioned before, is a Permit to Carry Weapons. You can carry just about anything other than fully automatic weapons. However, in our infant stages of Shall Issue, I feel I can speak for all of us when I say, please only carry a pistol.....for now.

Well technically, if one is legally able to possess NFA weapons in Iowa, and has a carry permit, they can carry them. It's legally possessing them in Iowa that is the unconstitutionally difficult part :)

modus operandi

sorry for the wait...

I am in Woodbury County. I see that the main CCW course given around here is UtahFire I believe its called? Does that mean I will be applying for a Utah CCW since they have greater riciprocity? I see also you can take an online course, but I read that not all counties accept these classes. Does Woodbury? Ill probably take an actual class, because its the same price and I prefer hands on learning and having someone present to answer questions.

amaixner

All Iowa counties MUST accept the same training. The new law makes no provision for sheriffs to be picky/discriminatory any more -- that boat has sailed.

Regarding the Utah class, you will have to ask the instructor or see what his materials say about it.

IA_farmboy

The classes offered might be from an outfit from Utah but the course will be recognized as proper training for an Iowa permit to carry. This class is also valid for a Utah permit but because of the laws in both Utah and Iowa you must have an Iowa permit to apply for a Utah permit and the Utah permit will not be valid in Iowa. The Utah permit would be valid for a non-resident visiting Iowa but residents must have an Iowa permit to carry a weapon lawfully, openly or concealed, with some exceptions.

When it comes to online training I doubt such training would be valid for a permit in Iowa.

I took a Utah concealed carry course and I was able to use it to apply for my Iowa permit to carry. If you want to get a Utah permit you can certainly apply. The people I took the course from helped with the paperwork and the fingerprinting which also helped with the cost since the fingerprinting service usually costs $10 to $15 from a police or sheriff office. You will still need to get your Iowa permit in hand before you can apply for the Utah permit.

The Utah permit might be nice, especially if you travel to Minnesota since the Iowa permit is not recognized here but the Utah one is. The Utah permit is a bit expensive for what you get. The Iowa permit is valid in something like 30 states, the Utah permit would get you a half dozen more. If you are not planning any out of state travel for a while then I'd suggest you wait. There's legislation in the works to expand permit to carry recognition in Minnesota and other states. There is also a possibility of federal legislation to make the Iowa permit valid in every state.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
When it comes to online training I doubt such training would be valid for a permit in Iowa.

I know a few people who have gotten their permits with online courses, both carry specific courses and the course provided by Maryland's department of public safety.

crotchbuffet

slightly off topic question. has anyone ever heard of a sheriff actually revoking someone's permit for open carrying in Iowa?

crotchbuffet

thanks for the reply, i just wasnt sure because there's a part that i read that says "some sheriffs threaten to revoke permit for open carrying" or something similar to that. so i just needed a for sure answer.
thanks again.

Tucker6900

thanks for the reply, i just wasnt sure because there's a part that i read that says "some sheriffs threaten to revoke permit for open carrying" or something similar to that. so i just needed a for sure answer.
thanks again.

That was probably before shall issue.