Thread: Open carry question

Open carry question

I have looked and can not find a clear cut answer. What is the rule of carrying a side arm open with a full magazine but no round chambered?

If a person has a CCW permit, can they carry with a round chambered?

You have not looked very hard then, the answer is in several posts in this forum just under yours.

And if you are still having trouble finding it:

With permit - open carry or concealed, Condition 1 or Condition 2

Without permit - revolver - nothing under the hammer and nothing in the next cylinder in rotation
    Without permit - semiautomatic pistol - no round in the chamber and two actions to fire (example: action 1 is rack the slide - action 2 is press the trigger.

With permit carry open or concealed on school grounds or within the Federal 1000 foot GFSZ
    Without permit - no carry, open or concealed, on school grounds or within the Federal 1000 foot GFSZ.

My advice to you friend is to get your Utah Concealed Firearms Permit and all your questions will be answered in the class - and - your carry options will greatly expand.
    Last edited by jpm84092; 07-08-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added Federal to my comment about GFSZ
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Actually the 1000 GFSZ no longer exists in Utah.
    The law was modified this legislative session.

This section was changed:
    http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050505.htm

By this bill:
    http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/hbillenr/hb0075.htm

"GFSZ" I believe he meant the federal law.

GFSZ = Gun Free School Zone Act

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Without permit - revolver - nothing under the hammer and nothing in the next cylinder in rotation
    This is true for a double action revolver. For a single action revolver only the chamber under the hammer must be empty.

There are a few single action revolvers that have a resting position between chamber that allow you to be fully loaded.