• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

Rusty Young Man

We already have a thread for testosterone driven remarks - it is in the Social Lounge where it belongs. Have fun but mind the rulez.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nti-gun-rights-screechers-are-science-deniers

Well, crap. I think I directly contributed to a thread derailment/content warning.:uhoh:

In an effort to redeem myself :)p), I'd like to ask: I thought Lowe's had asked for no weapons to be carried in their establishments (like criminals care about that :rolleyes:)?
I only remember that I decided to stop patronizing Lowe's (and Target, and Jack-In-The-Box, and...) entirely and have been an exclusively Home Depot (besides mom & pop shops) guy for some time now.
Am I mistaken in my mind? Should Lowe's have the privilege of getting my money, or are they requiring me to render myself defenseless as a prerequisite for entering their establishments?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've spent many hours spending lots of money in both Blowe's and Home Despot with no problems whatsoever. I've not heard about nor looked for any policies. I just act like a free man until I find out otherwise. If you know of a policy, please confirm and share.

Rusty Young Man

Can't find evidence of a corporate decision to ban lawfully-carried personal defense tools, only renegade managers claiming "private property" rules as reason to ignore the "we abide by local laws and regulations" policy.

I'll see if I can't swing by a Lowe's sometime soon. I do need to find a set of brass punches.:)

Last edited:

28kfps

I met a guy at the Costco in Spanish Springs that was OC, and I asked him if they ever gave him crap for it, and he said no. He said he is in there once a week for his job and no one ever said anything to him about carrying. As far as I know, BofA is a no go.

A little late on the reply trigger however for the Las Vegas area I have never had an issue with OCing in any bank. BofA is the bank I use and been in many all over the Las Vegas area never an issue. I do not know what their policy is, never asked and could care less.

garand_guy

I got a new Safariland holster this weekend, so I took it for a little spin.

No issues at Smiths, of course, except I had to switch from belt to paddle. Nice OC meetup at Claim Jumper, blew away my low carb diet there. Sunday I went to Home Depot and actually had a good little chat about open carry and gave one of my cards to an interested employee. Got my haircut at Supercuts and went to Walmart.

Very good weekend.

mp06011999

Lowes is good to go. Someone here had a issue with a employee but it was fixed by the manager.

That was me! Yea Lowe's is absolutely good to go. I hit Lowe's so much that on many occasions the employees say "oh you know this store better than me". Especially the Lowe's at Jones and Craig. It was the one across from Summerlin Costco (where Erik Scott was killed) that the manager schooled the employee that tried to read me the riot act. That manager called me back saying, "Lowe's policy has always been to follow local law and we will remind all of our employees of such. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I apologize...".

Once in Home Depot right down the street from this Lowe's I had a District Manager approach me and ask if it would be okay to shake my hand so that this store's employees would see that I am not a danger, but just a citizen exercising his rights and doing nothing illegal. I answered sure, but actually I'm shoplifting right now. Just kidding. It was really a good experience because a few employees had been following me that day and all the big wigs from Home Depot just happened to be in that store that day. Perfect!

So yes, Lowe's is good to go as is Home Depot all around Las Vegas. I oc at both all the time and even did when I was in Kentucky recently. No problems. Also good to go at Las Vegas Cici's and Lexington, KY Cici's.

Fwiw, I did a drive from LV to KY to Detroit and back late last year. I oc'd in every state (I went thru) that is listed OC legal. Not a single issue.

Last edited:

mp06011999

Reflecting on the noisy shopping cart thing to alert inconsiderate people...

I was in the Drafthouse yesterday concealed per usual because they ask me to and I love their beer too much not to go there. Anyhow, a couple of guys were playing videos on their phones really loud. Seems to becoming quite common now. I was outside on the patio at least 3 big tables away and the audio on their phones was drowning out the house music. Yea, but I better not oc because it may make someone uncomfortable. :banghead:

I fronted off someone in there a few months back for that very thing. Kinda made a big scene. My wife got scared and left. lol What to do when you're surrounded by i%0^s..... :exclaim:

Please, everyone, be considerate of others and just maybe it'll catch on. I really don't wanna go to jail. :p

Mike L

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against the law to drink and carry, concealed or open ?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against the law to drink and carry, concealed or open ?

No, sir. Welcome to Nevada!

As TBG mentioned, the law still has a standard that makes it illegal to be drunk or even close to it, while in possession of a firearm. There are many responsible Nevadans that drink responsibly and are thankful that the state does does require us to be disarmed while doing so.

Think about the guy having a steak dinner. One hand should have a nice red wine; the other probably has a six-inch serrated knife, which is also a deadly weapon. Any concerns?

Last edited:

28kfps

Welcome Mike. Glad to see you ask the question on this site. Please read the many postings and learn. There is several very active posters on top of the gun laws. The best place NOT to ask is Law Enforcement, as they are not required to tell the truth, many do not know the law and often the answer is influenced with personal agenda motivation.

CowboyKen

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

My learned friends forgot to include a cite, allowing you to read the law for yourself - reading it on the internet is lacking a bit.
http://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/2...rs202-257.html
Grape,

Your link is to a secondary source, which, IMO, does not carry the needed authority.

Here is the link to the actual NRS on the official State of Nevada legislature's web-site:

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec257

Ken
Gave the address/link to cite precisely which allows reading the present statute AND researching past versions.
http://st; penalty; forfeiture of f...vious Versions of the Nevada Revised Statutes

mp06011999

Welcome Mike L. The single greatest weapon you can have in your arsenal is knowledge. And this is a great place to obtain that. Learn the laws and before you know it you will walk with no fear. It doesn't mean you won't still do something stupid or illegal or completely legal and end up dead like Erik Scott. But, just keep stacking that arsenal as best you can. And by all means, wear it proudly - the gun and the knowledge. :)

FallonJeeper

I got into a pretty heated discussion when a friend, who "had just completed a Nevada CCW course" told me that you can't carry a firearm into a bar, in Nevada, let alone drink. I informed him he was wrong on both counts. I did provide the NRS and he dropped it. He's never questioned or doubted me since.

Sometimes people from out of state try to bring their laws or sense of what the laws "should be" into our state. Research and know the facts.