• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

The Big Guy

Black Mountain Recreation Center water park. Kids swam, my firearm and I sat in the shade and watched. Only one person, elderly man, said anything and he just asked me what I had in the holster because he was thinking about a new snubbie and wanted my opinon on some options. It was a nice chat.

TBG

Nevada carrier

I love that guy who shows up and makes it very clear that he is watching you, usually standing with his arms folded and his feet shoulder width apart, right in the middle of the room, always behind you and to your strong side. He's typically a large man, over six feet tall, and for some reason they tend to have a beard and grey hair. He'll never smile or respond to anyone because this requires total focus. This guy will often position himself so you have to move around him but get within arms length of him to get by.

I call this guy "The Witness." Today, I had one of these guys follow me from the SG counter at Wall Mart, then to the automotive counter where I was getting an oil change, then to Home Depot where I was getting stuff to make a target stand and finally when he followed me over to Petco, I confronted him. I said "If you are not a police officer conducting an investigation, you are stalking me, and if you do not stop I will pursue criminal charges." He said "I'm just a responsible citizen, concerned about people walking around in public with guns." I asked this guy if he planned on following me all day long because, if he was, I could keep him really busy for a long time. He left mumbling something about how he hopes I get shot by the police like that "idiot" at Costco.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I love that guy who shows up and makes it very clear that he is watching you, usually standing with his arms folded and his feet shoulder width apart, right in the middle of the room, always behind you and to your strong side. He's typically a large man, over six feet tall, and for some reason they tend to have a beard and grey hair. He'll never smile or respond to anyone because this requires total focus. This guy will often position himself so you have to move around him but get within arms length of him to get by.

I call this guy "The Witness." Today, I had one of these guys follow me from the SG counter at Wall Mart, then to the automotive counter where I was getting an oil change, then to Home Depot where I was getting stuff to make a target stand and finally when he followed me over to Petco, I confronted him. I said "If you are not a police officer conducting an investigation, you are stalking me, and if you do not stop I will pursue criminal charges." He said "I'm just a responsible citizen, concerned about people walking around in public with guns." I asked this guy if he planned on following me all day long because, if he was, I could keep him really busy for a long time. He left mumbling something about how he hopes I get shot by the police like that "idiot" at Costco.

Was this guy telling you that he was your self appointed babbysitter? The guy was obviously a bit short of fully loaded. Why on earth would anyone want to follow a guy with a firearm around? I think I would have called in a stalking complaint on him. Someone like that should not be loose in the community. Perhaps when he told you his story you should have looked him right in the eyes and said something like "would you like to sign my petition to legalize 10 year olds carrying fully automatic weapons?"

TBG

Last edited:

Sabotage70

Dude! You should have whipped the phone out and shot some video of the interaction with your stalker.

I'm guessing you where at Arroyo Crossing's. If that's the case Depot had two different men OC'ing today. My receipt is showing 1300 exactly. I wasn't in there for more than 10 mins. though. Because my receipt from Sam's club has 1245 on it. ;)

I'm sure we where dressed the exact opposite. I had just gotten of a work.

<--------Roofer. :monkey

Nevada carrier

Dude! You should have whipped the phone out and shot some video of the interaction with your stalker.

I'm guessing you where at Arroyo Crossing's. If that's the case Depot had two different men OC'ing today. My receipt is showing 1300 exactly. I wasn't in there for more than 10 mins. though. Because my receipt from Sam's club has 1245 on it. ;)

I'm sure we where dressed the exact opposite. I had just gotten of a work.

<--------Roofer. :monkey

Yeah, we were in there at the exact same time.

28kfps

Some good responses, one more response to add. Turn to the guy with a friendly smile say, ok, where to next?

On another subject, I went into Timbers for lunch this weekend and got an open carry discount. Well not really. I work a part time armed job. No real uniform however do carry additional belt mounted gear. Very nice young lady server gave me my ticket and it was noticeable cheaper than I expected. I noticed on the receipt it said Metro 25%Too late in my mind to say anything and I did not want to humiliate her, gave it to her as tip.

gmijackso

Some good responses, one more response to add. Turn to the guy with a friendly smile say, ok, where to next?

On another subject, I went into Timbers for lunch this weekend and got an open carry discount. Well not really. I work a part time armed job. No real uniform however do carry additional belt mounted gear. Very nice young lady server gave me my ticket and it was noticeable cheaper than I expected. I noticed on the receipt it said Metro 25%Too late in my mind to say anything and I did not want to humiliate her, gave it to her as tip.

Interesting... Isn't it against Metro's policy for any officer to accept any gift or other compensation? I searched and couldn't find where I had previously found a pdf of departmental policies, anybody?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
It's a violation of LVMPD policy 4/101.04 to accept a gift from a suspect, so as long as the officer is not investigating the person offering the discount, they haven't violated this policy.

And LVMPD policy 4/101.05 prohibits soliciting special privileges, including free meals, transportation, entertainment, or any other favors or gratuities. So as long as the discount was automatic, and wasn't the result of the officer asking "do you offer police officers a discount?", it's permitted.

gmijackso

It's a violation of LVMPD policy 4/101.04 to accept a gift from a suspect, so as long as the officer is not investigating the person offering the discount, they haven't violated this policy.

And LVMPD policy 4/101.05 prohibits soliciting special privileges, including free meals, transportation, entertainment, or any other favors or gratuities. So as long as the discount was automatic, and wasn't the result of the officer asking "do you offer police officers a discount?", it's permitted.

Must have been 4/101.05 I was thinking of. Thanks Tim!

wrightme

Wells Fargo - Pahrump Branch
Had a couple odd looks from some customers right as I walked in. Talked to the guy inline behind me. He didn't mention anything about my firearm. Cashier was pleasant and not concerned at all (I think that was because I'm so loveable, umm...or was it the 2 inch thick plexiglass between us? :confused:).

niggle, I would guess lexan, not plexiglass

wrightme

A small request.....
Paragraphs.

As for the rest of it?

Sounds like a good day.

I wonder if:
I guess people figure I must have it for a reason, and I don't come across as the shady type
that part may be a rational reason for presenting a neat and clean appearance when open carrying. Many discussions (quite heated at times) have been had about dress and manner when OC. I am a FIRM believer that the impression a person creates through dress and action "colors" the view others hold. If a person dresses nicely and is polite, "good" is projected. If a person dresses outside of norms and is NOT polite, "good" is not projected.

Right or wrong, how we appear does make a difference.
Right or wrong, once such a difference is noted, OC may give others a 'reason' to call.

Good report.

Last edited: